• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Moyashimon: Tales of Agriculture Anime to Air in Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I would hardly say it's "cementing a shift". Nodame Contabile is airing right now in that block, and that is most definitely shoujo/josei. When Moyashimon (which sounds interesting, by the way) ends they'll probably have another shoujo or josei anime in it's place. Josei anime are very few and far between, so I'm a little disappointed that there's not going to be another josei (or at least shoujo) anime next season, but at least josei manga get adapted into dramas. Seinen gets almost no love whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean seinen gets no love?

Seinen is the staple of the BEST anime that isn't Naruto/FMA

...like Full Metal Panic, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, Mushishi.
(as well as the worst like hentai)

The fact is most works that target the young adult female demographic that is associated with anime are of the yaoi variety. The few non-yaoi are just made into live-action dramas...why animate it when you don't really need giant robots and post-apocalyptic societies and regular everyday actors do the job just fine.

I know a girl who didn't care for animated Nodame Cantabile at all, even though she would follow the original source and TV drama. Maybe they discovered the demographic doesn't really care for the animated medium at all and are content with the stories.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
What do you mean seinen gets no love?

Seinen is the staple of the BEST anime that isn't Naruto/FMA

...like Full Metal Panic, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, Mushishi.
(as well as the worst like hentai)

The fact is most works that target the young adult female demographic that is associated with anime are of the yaoi variety. The few non-yaoi are just made into live-action dramas...why animate it when you don't really need giant robots and post-apocalyptic societies and regular everyday actors do the job just fine.

I know a girl who didn't care for animated Nodame Cantabile at all, even though she would follow the original source and TV drama. Maybe they discovered the demographic doesn't really care for the animated medium at all and are content with the stories.

I mean when you compare how much EXISTING manga gets adapted into anything, the vast majority is shounen. When you consider dramas as well, shoujo/josei comes in second. And in third are original (not based on manga) mecha anime such as Patlabor and Evangelion (which I don't classify as shounen or seinen). Seinen anime adaptions are few, far between, and usually awesome (Mushishi, Genshiken, xxxHolic, Ghost in the Shell...)

And just because you know ONE girl that didn't like a shoujo anime doesn't mean that it isn't succesful. -_- Nodame Contabile even broke the record for the highest-rated late night anime. So, no, I don't think they (Fuji TV) "discovered" that the demographic "doesn't care for the animated medium".

What do you consider "young adult"? "Lady's" (what Japanese book stores classify josei and BL as) manga is meant for college women and older, for the most part and I'd say about half of it is exclusively yaoi and half of it isn't. That half is, with the exception of Paradise Kiss, Nodame, and Honey and Clover (all of which, ironicly enough, were part of noitaminA), I'd say, pretty much exclusively adapted into dramas, if at all, which generaly lower budgets than anime (and it shows) and run for ten episodes.

But shoujo manga -- i.e., LaLa (Ouran HSHC), Hana to Yume (Fruits Basket), Ribon (Full Moon wo Sagashite), Cookie (Nana), and Ciao (Kirarin Revolution) to name the biggest magazines -- is usually adapted into anime, though there are drama adaptions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FnordChan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Hurrah for Moyashimon! I was introduced to the manga recently by a friend of mine (female, if we're looking for anecdotal evidence of crossover appeal) and was thoroughly entertained. Our hero and his pals at the agricultural college spend a lot of time analyzing how bacteria help and hurt in everyday life, drink a lot of sake, discuss how assorted microbes create sake, and so on and so forth. Okay, okay, so the comic isn't entirely about sake.

Figure 1 - Our hero looking sharp in a black suit, surrounded by filthy grad students.

Figure 2 - Our hero gets a close look at what really goes into sake production and is moderately grossed out. This happens a lot.

Figure 3 - Nodame Cantabile crossover! Woo!

The art is fun (particularly the legions of cute, SD bacteria) and I'm looking forward to being able to understand the story beyond flipping through a few volumes while said friend offers running commentary. Here's hoping a domestic manga publisher notes it's getting an anime release, goes mildly insane, and decides they can sell this translated. Del Ray? Viz? CMX? Anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1