• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's PTA Decries Shin Chan Anime, Shōjo Comic Mag

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Shin Chan I can understand, perhaps parents are getting the idea and being more careful with what they want their children to see. I'm surprised Ciao and Nakayoshi happened to be on that list that parents don't want their kids reading, because my sister reads it.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I was really wondering when Japanese parents was started to decries Shin Chan showing its private parts on TV. Its finally started that Japan is trying to get to the level of USA adult supervision Twisted Evil

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Thu May 17, 2007 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I was really wondering Japanese parents started to decries Shin Chan showing its private parts on TV. Its finally started that Japan is trying to get to the level of USA adult supervision Twisted Evil

Nudity has been and is still visible on Japanese television these days. Thing is though they have cracked down on it a lot over the past five years or so.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Dude, Shin Chan's 15 years old now. Everyone who could be corrupted by it probably already has by now. Laughing I'm not sure why AB Boyfriend is so offensive, though, since it's technically a parody. But I guess they didn't get it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
People grow up, and now it's starting to get to the point where the people who grew up on Shinchan and starting to have kids of their own. Maybe they didn't like the show when they were watching it, who knows.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
People grow up, and now it's starting to get to the point where the people who grew up on Shinchan and starting to have kids of their own. Maybe they didn't like the show when they were watching it, who knows.

And it's still corrupting them as we speak Rolling Eyes. It's just the US we have a parent's focus group that does this every week! I mean at some point you stop listening/reading to what they have to say, most of us can handle potty language.

Quote:
Melinda Dolittle, 2007 American Idol Top 3 Finisher

We'll it is American Idol....everyone loves the little (he's as short as Ryan!!!) white beat boxing boy, quite frankly I am not surprised.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
"Crayon Shin-Chan" has always been controversial in Japan and has been offending PTA groups like this for a long while now. This isn't anything new.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Japan's PTA groups suck. Notice how there aren't any animated shows listed under the shows they would want their children to see. They only listed shows that NOBODY would watch.

Remember BoBoBo-Bo-BoBoBo? Yeah, that show got cancelled because of the PTA complaining that it was "too violent" and "had no educational value". If the US's PTA organizations were like that, do you even think we would have "Cartoon Network" or "Spongebob Squarepants"?

Their manga selections, however, are completely legit. Remember how that one Anthology distrubuted a pamphlet for how to perform "oral sex" in all of their shoujo manga? Besides that, Nakayoshi has a sex scene in just about every issue >_>;

Last edited by therealssjlink on Thu May 17, 2007 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
we have a parent's focus group that does this every week! I mean at some point you stop listening/reading to what they have to say, most of us can handle potty language.

True. But thing is, there isn't a focus group for the advocation of advancement of potty language in entertainment (or A.A.P.L.E.). So in the complete vacuum of organized arguments against this, only one side is ever really heard.

Seriously though, I understand why parents would want to keep certain things away from kids, especially at certain ages. But sometimes they just go to far. I am not sure if they did here or not. The only Shin-chan I know is the [as] version. But I do find it strange that they couldn't find one animated show that was acceptable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malikchan17

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I've stoped listening to whatever they say. If someone tries to stand up to them, the PTA has a hissy fit and goes allout yakuza (not literally, but they do threaten and bully them) on them.

The Japanese PTA probably finds all animation a waste of time and space. Of course, I attribute this to the giant sticks shoved up their behinds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
It's dumb for you folks to get a fit about this. It was a vote of what they wouldn't want children to watch, not what they don't want you to watch. Besides, unless you're a five years old viewer (doubtful) posting on this forum it's ridiculous to complain about them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1