• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Sells Sailor Moon Bootleg as "Official Boxset"

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Amazon is one of the single most authoritative sources to purchase bootlegs from. I have emailed them repeatedly and was ignored. I've no intention of buying any more anime from them. Sadly I need them for textbook purchases.

Good luck getting a reply, you'll need it.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, this bootleg has been deemed ANN newsworthy! There's been some discussion about this in a Retail forum thread for a few days now.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
It took me a second to realize that this is actually being sold through amazon and not the marketplace, which also has results show up on the main page for most older anime shows like this. Pretty disappointing that Amazon wouldn't check the items they themselves are offering, though.

Having said that, it looks like more than half the people who bought something at that site after loking at the collection actually did pick it up, which should indicate the viability of putting a legitimate product on the market to geneon (or whoever else owns distro rights to the series these days).

I suspect that with so many famous older licenses getting dropped without re-releases, piracy and bootlegging of older shows is nly going to become more common, not less.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
Having said that, it looks like more than half the people who bought something at that site after loking at the collection actually did pick it up, which should indicate the viability of putting a legitimate product on the market to geneon (or whoever else owns distro rights to the series these days).

Thing is, Toei own's the distro rights, not Geneon or ADV. And while many companies have regularly asked Toei for the rights, Toei isn't letting anyone release any more Sailor Moon in the USA.

-t
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
Well, that's a Major oops on Amazon's part. They should have done a bit more checking before allowing that to be posted to their website. Have they taken it down?

But I'm not surprised that 1) people are buying it since people have wanted an US release...oh, forever. 2) And the fact that Amazon is not returning ANN's phone calls.

I have to admit that I do own a bootleg copy of the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars complete series...looks a lot like what was shown too. I got it over a year ago and not at Amazon. I truly look forward to the day that I'm able to replace it with a legitimate release. I'm one of those people who truly, truly want one.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Thu May 17, 2007 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
thecactusman17 wrote:

Thing is, Toei own's the distro rights, not Geneon or ADV. And while many companies have regularly asked Toei for the rights, Toei isn't letting anyone release any more Sailor Moon in the USA.

-t

That's pretty sad since most Sailor Moon fans would love more than anything to have an official U.S. release, be it sub only or bilingual, to add to their Sailor Moon DVD collection, and being able to say they own the entire official U.S. DVD collection. I'm also fairly sure the fans would pay whatever price was set for the DVD's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:

That's pretty sad since most Sailor Moon fans would love more than anything to have an official U.S. release, be it sub only or bilingual, to add to their Sailor Moon DVD collection, and being able to say they own the entire official U.S. DVD collection. I'm also fairly sure the fans would pay whatever price was set for the DVD's.

Believe me, I'm one of those who would immediately settle for a sub-only release. Instantly! In a heartbeat! And I know that I would not be the only one. Not to mention the fact that I would probably happily trample over people to get it.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
That is low, Amazon.

It's one thing to sell the bootleg, and that is shameful enough...

But to market it as the OFFICIAL release? Abominable.

They need to offer refunds and apologize as quick as possible. That may be wishful thinking, however.

Yes, to market it as the OFFCIAL release is terribly, terribly wrong...but, how many of the people who bought it are going to return it?
la_contessa

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:

You're probably right. Unfortunately, for whatever reason (I'm one of the hopeful people who think there's going to be a huge re-release bash accompanied by new content, be it anime, manga, or live action), Toei did not renew the NA licensing rights when they expired a bit ago. I don't know how well Sailor Moon sales were doing, but I never got the impression that they were floundering. There must be some other reason? I don't know, I just want legit copies. I bought S as soon as I heard about the licenses because I didn't want them to sell out or raise the price horribly, but I don't own the rest of the series at all and I would love to.

As for Amazon, they're ridiculous with their support for bootlegs. I wrote a review of the bootleg Naruto box when the Viz release came out to warn unsuspecting people that 1. it wasn't legit and 2. bootlegs are generally terrible quality (not that I've seen the Naruto bootleg, but I can extrapolate from others), thinking that when Amazon checked my review for content, they would yank the whole listing. However, they just posted it like nothing was wrong! I was horrified and started ordering from Barnes & Noble's website instead.
aluria

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, just after I was looking up Sailor Moon on wik. First I've seen of bootleg at Amazon though I don't frequent the marketplace. I wonder whats Toei's thoughts on not letting anyone license the last series, I mean it was basically the first two series that was dubbed horibbly with the exception of the music. As much as I want the series on DVD, I really don't want to start bootleg purchasing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
anyone know how long they have been selling it for? seems somebody is not doing their job... unless they were paid to look the other way.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
anyone know how long they have been selling it for? seems somebody is not doing their job... unless they were paid to look the other way.

The first user review is dated "December 11, 2006" so it seems to have been at least that long. I'm guessing it's been longer than that though. The listed DVD release date is August 2005.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
I would love to see a legitimate release of Sailorstars in Region 1 Land. I've only watched the subbed version since I've owned the unedited DVDs, so if it's sub only, fine with me.

I don't know who's to blame in the case of the rest of the world being denied Sailor Moon anything (some say Toei, some say "Princess" Naoko Takeuchi), but whoever is responsible needs to realize that there continues to be an audience for the series, and those desperate enough may think that that "official" boxset on Amazon is the long-awaited set they're looking for.

But it probably won't happen... Crying or Very sad
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Anyone notice that the featured "spotlight" review is one where the user is appalled over Amazon selling a bootleg? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6