• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime on electric paper?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:56 am Reply with quote
Bah, it's just an evil scheme to turn readers into robots. Thats what dat der tv sets be doing.

I'd prefer reading text and lookin at still images thank u lol
Syker 07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Technology tends to develope based on practicality (there are exceptions, of course). So the more practical a technology may be when it is applied to a vast array of things, the more likely it is to have more resources devoted to its development.

This is exactly why we will likely never see mecha (in our lifetime, anyway). It's just not practical. They'd be ungodly expensive to research and develop. Unless we discover some new element that provides an unheard of amount of resistance to damage (Gundanium for example) they could easily be taken down by a shoulder-mounted RPG or rocket, or a mortar shell. They'd be more suited for construction, but even then they'd still be expensive to develop.

This electronic paper, however, is extremely practical and it could be applied to so many things in a vast number of fields of work. So it will likely see tons of development over a short period of time.

Just my $0.02, though Wink

Syker Seven
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:37 pm Reply with quote
anybody remember Big? "I don't get it"
Mikuji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news... although i can already picture what's gonna happen in the future when the tech is feasible $$$-wise, people will begin to pirate novels and manga in this new format rather than just text Anime hyper
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey, this is just like the quickie shots of the newspapers from "Voices of a Distant Star" that'd have the spaceships flying around in constant loops.

I agree with most folks in that it'll be little more than a trinket for them what have lots o' money for quite a while, but then again, at one point my folks bought me an 8088 computer (pre-286 for the old 'uns out there) for about a grand. Now you can find PIII machines at the local thrift store for under $15.

Time will drive the prices down to affordability (like with CDRWs), and then there'll be another new technology to replace this one. Life 'n' progress march on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:03 am Reply with quote
This would probably create more waste than save space. Instead of just a newsprint advertisement, you'll have this specialized and chemicalized peice of paper. You also have to have a mini processor and battery to go with it.

Advertisements just wind up in the garabage anyway.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:26 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
This would probably create more waste than save space. Instead of just a newsprint advertisement, you'll have this specialized and chemicalized peice of paper. You also have to have a mini processor and battery to go with it.

Advertisements just wind up in the garabage anyway.

I don't think so. There's probably a few thousand tons of newsprint being thrown away each day around the world. With this "electronic paper" you can likely reuses it over and over again, just download new content daily through a USB port or a small SD card that could act as a hard drive. Batteries can be rechargeable too to save them from being thrown out. To be used as an e-book or an e-newspaper these things could run on very small, compact processors, an SD card for storage, and a rechargable battery for power as text doesn't take up much space and the article says the screen uses very little power. These seem like the most practical applications. To run a movie or replace a computer obviously more powerful hardware would be needed, but i don't think this is something that we would simply buy and trash like a newspaper.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:41 am Reply with quote
To display the image requires no power. To change the image requires a lot. In the end it is less that any other display, but the switching requires large enough heat, I really doubt it could ever be throw away tech. A dedicated E-reader yes, a gimmack in graphic novels no. I have even seen finished versions of the e-reads, they work pretty well, but need more work to be ready for prime time (just some manufactoring work, it isn't too much) but these things will cost a good deal at first, and maybe, just maybe, drop after sufficient interest.
Syker 07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:16 am Reply with quote
Add this with mobile technology and we may be seeing the beginning steps toward that ole' Trek gadget, the Tri-corder.

Or, easily collapsable screens for mobile internet access on your phone, and video phone applications (If you've ever seen Earth: Final Conflict, those videophone unit things everyone carries).

You may scoff now, but all these things are not as far off as they may seem.

Syker Seven.
danbeck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:02 pm Reply with quote
#1Evafan wrote:
Sweet, now maybe in a decade or two, we won't need trees as much, if at all. Giving the enviroment a chance to regenerate.

*sigh* Regenerate what? Scientific fact: we have more trees in this country than we had 200 years ago. Why? Because we fight forest fires, acts of our beloved mother nature.

Since paper isn't made from the rain forests of South America, what is there to regenerate exactly?
wcy2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
it will be cool cause the smaller they get the screens the closer we are to getting a PDA like lain had Anime exclamation
i can hardly wait.
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:10 pm Reply with quote
danbeck wrote:
*sigh* Regenerate what? Scientific fact: we have more trees in this country than we had 200 years ago. Why? Because we fight forest fires, acts of our beloved mother nature.

Since paper isn't made from the rain forests of South America, what is there to regenerate exactly?

Those trees come from somewhere, besides, what about globel warming, if I'm not mistaken (which I probley am, considering I'm not exactaly versed in the ways of environmentalism), isn't that caused from to much carbon dioxide in the atomoshere, and not enough oxygen?
wcy2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:23 pm Reply with quote
#1Evafan wrote:
danbeck wrote:

Those trees come from somewhere, besides, what about globel warming, if I'm not mistaken (which I probley am, considering I'm not exactaly versed in the ways of environmentalism), isn't that caused from to much carbon dioxide in the atomoshere, and not enough oxygen?

Its best to just ignore him. he's trying to push his environmental point of view on you, and if i remember correctly this is an anime forum. My only question is how can they be so sure that there are more trees 200 years ago then there are now considering the Forest service was formed in 1905 and they are the ones who do the tree counting.
hinoai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:09 pm Reply with quote
XDXD That SO sounds like something out of Harry Potter! With their moving photographs and everything. ^^;
vandalthorne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:28 pm Reply with quote
[quote="#1Evafan"]Sweet, now maybe in a decade or two, we won't need trees as much, if at all. Giving the enviroment a chance to regenerate.[/quote]

Not to burst anyone's enviro-bubble or anything but, paper trees are now farm-raised. Kind of like Christmas trees. Just FYI.

As for this electronic paper, I expect it'll take as long as solar power to become a profitable format. It won't be cheap to use for some time to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3