• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Three Arrested in Japan for File-Sharing Shōnen Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you'd think that people would remember the Akane Maniax debacle and try not to repeat it. But then again, they did use Winny. Rolling Eyes

I thought that "personal use" and "fair use" are not recognized concepts in Japan.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Volyund wrote:
Then is it OK to share it with your friend over the internet? How about two friends, three...ten? I'm not trying to justify online file sharing, but where do you draw the line? I am just curious.

The law is black and white. You draw the line at one person. The moment you share/distribute an unauthorized copy, you've crossed the legal line.

Of course, it's up to companies and law enforcement issues to decide when and how to enforce their rights and the law. Much like you probably won't get a ticket for going 1 hm/h (or mph in the USA) over the limit, you won't get arrested for sharing a video with a couple friends. But if you try to sell it, or share it with hundreds or thousands of people, then you might be in trouble.

-t
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
that remids me of my brother explaining piracy to me. he said it was ok to buy a CD, burn what you like of of it and sell the original, but selling the burn is where its illegal.

money makes the world evil

but were these people selling the manga or just posting them?
uhmmmm

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
that remids me of my brother explaining piracy to me. he said it was ok to buy a CD, burn what you like of of it and sell the original, but selling the burn is where its illegal.

That is incorrect.

When you buy a CD, what you're actually buying is the right to listen to that music. You can rip the music, burn a copy, any of that too, and listen to that copy instead. (Though if you have to work around some sort of copy-protection, you are almost certainly running afoul of the DMCA)

However, if you sell the original CD, you are at the same time seeling that right you bought to listen to it. Now, it's illegal to listen to those mp3s you ripped, or that backup CD copy you made.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
uhmmmm wrote:

When you buy a CD, what you're actually buying is the right to listen to that music.

Thats like saying I don't own the car, I just own the rights to drive it and shove fluids into it to make the engine go brum. A CD is tangible goods; there is no way a Music Company can assert such an idea, unless they request that if i'm done with my copy, the CD should be returned immediately to them.

If this is the case, I know of several Used CD stores both brick-n-mortar and online that are flagrant violators of copyright law for reselling Used CD's. The music companies don't get profits from them when they sell the Used CD's....
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
uhmmmm wrote:

When you buy a CD, what you're actually buying is the right to listen to that music.

Thats like saying I don't own the car, I just own the rights to drive it and shove fluids into it to make the engine go brum. A CD is tangible goods; there is no way a Music Company can assert such an idea, unless they request that if i'm done with my copy, the CD should be returned immediately to them.

If this is the case, I know of several Used CD stores both brick-n-mortar and online that are flagrant violators of copyright law for reselling Used CD's. The music companies don't get profits from them when they sell the Used CD's....

Actually, you are both correct (to a degree.) When you buy the package, the purchase includes both the physical/tangible disc/box/etc AND a license (limited, transferrable, non-exclusive, blah-blah, blah) to the music or other content contained thereon. The important thing to remember is that they are inseparable. If you later dispose of the tangible product, you are transferring/waiving your license to the content contained on it subject to the terms of disposal. So under fair use, you can share the content with one friend, be it in person or even over the internet, but only one at a time (the fun part comes down to if you can enjoy it at the same time, but I digress.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2