• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 8 Greatest Weapons Wielded by Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
Evangelion Unit 2 - Asuka Langly Sohryu (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
It's the final production model!

Ragna Blade - Lina Inverse (Slayers)
A sword made of magic that can smash even the souls of the gods.

Paper - Yomiko Readman (R.O.D.)
It's ordinary paper wielded by an extraordinary woman.

Rule Breaker - Caster (Fate/Stay Night)
Mundane against normal humans; awesome against any supernatural enemy.

Cellphones - Ayane Isuzu (Gatekeepers 21)
Want to emulate a superpower? There's an app for that.

CZ75 - Rally Vincent (Gunsmith Cats)
Presented in the manga as the world's greatest handgun; ask some of the more recent gunslinger girls and they'll agree.

Lipstick Lasso/Whip - Eclair (Kiddy Grade)
This is the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the title of the article.

Anything - Kirika Yumura (Noir)
A tea fork, a toy truck, an I.D. card, your glasses... If she can hold it, she can kill you with it. Not sure if this really counts though.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Maybe if she didn't dress so conservatively?

Sour grapes, eh?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
Hah, no. Just playful banter. (Just look at my icon. Nagi lives off playful banter, well that and whatever she charges for Eve Blends)

That and (not-so) subtly trying to plant an interest in Twelve Kingdoms.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
Seras Victoria, Gunbuster and Evangelion all occurred to me immediately, and have already been brought up. Laughing

How about Dominion Tank Police? Leona Ozaki in her tank Napoleon, that's pretty dang cool. Patlabor comes to mind as well.

Or maybe Saikano? The girl in that is a weapon (the "ultimate weapon" IIRC).

Or how about Lina Inverse from Slayers, using the Ragna Blade, or a spell like the Giga Slave which could destroy the world, does that count?

Or A-ko's mighty fists in Project A-Ko... or B-Ko's super-suit with its Itano Circus of mini-missiles, that's pretty hilarious and wins on unexpected goof factor alone.

There's also Lucille (Omitsu) from Samurai Pizza Cats, who unleashes a Macross Missile Massacre from her hair/kimono whenever she gets distressed.

Or Ukyo from Ranma 1/2, with her large spatula and okonomiyaki.

Or Arale from Dr. Slump, with her formidable stick of poop. Mad

Or how about that Lynn Minmei, using a microphone and song, turning the tide of war with infectious pop culture. Could there ever be a weapon more formidable, more maddening than pop music? Laughing

The list could go on... Shocked
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Could there ever be a weapon more formidable, more maddening than pop music? Laughing

Moé.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote
A little sad the entire darker than black series was overlooked for this article. Not even considering Suou and her anti-tank rifle she summons from a pendant, but Hei's sister who controls molecular structure at the quantum level? I think that's pretty amazing, honestly.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Hah, no. Just playful banter. (Just look at my icon. Nagi lives off playful banter, well that and whatever she charges for Eve Blends)

That and (not-so) subtly trying to plant an interest in Twelve Kingdoms.

Oh! V-very well then... and true, didn't make the connection with Nagi. I need to rewatch Time of Eve, come to think of it (and finish watching Twelve Kingdoms period--your ploy worked).
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote
The weapons that stick out in my mind are Kino's "Cannon" and "Ranger" or "Woodsman" (Kino's Journey.)

The series made a point of focusing on the firearms, from Kino's quickdraw practices at dawn to disassembling one of her weapons; Keiichi Sigsawa loves his guns, after all.

My memory's foggy in regards to the scenario, but I remember really enjoying the standoff with the caravan. It's my favourite standoff scene of all time, assuming that it actually was a standoff and I'm not remembering wrong!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Two of the weapons lacking from the list that immediately jump to mind for me are Fuu's sword from Magic Knight Rayearth as well as Setsuna's staff (lovingly known by fans as the BAK) in Sailor Moon. But I'm a fan of big weapons.

Great list of others there, Jedi Master. The ones I've seen, I completely agree with.
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote
I think a very important option is missing from the poll:

Whichever came first.

This is especially notable in the case of Bandai/Sunrise-property-related manga, which pretty much ALWAYS involves the manga coming out afterward, and being pretty shoddy condensations on top of that. I'd rather watch RahXephon, Gundam Wing, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, or Mai-Hime and not read them, but I'd also rather read things like Monster, FMA, Death Note, or any other series where the manga came first.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Fun fact: nuclear reactors cannot be made to explode like a nuclear bomb. Nina's spoiler[device was not a nuclear reactor, or even a "true" nuclear bomb, but rather a sakuradite bomb enhanced by adding a fission stage.]

Oh, and Yoko's sniper rifle is pathetic compared to the Harkonnen used by Seras Victoria. The latter is spoiler[a highly modified 30mm anti-armour (well, anti-anything) canon firing either depleted uranium shells with silver tips or incendiary napalm shells, and the gun is far bigger than Yoko's pea-shooter. Of course, even the Harkonnen is only a baby compared to its successor, the absolutely monstrous Harkonnen II.]
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Saber from Fate/Stay night had Excalibur. And she could basically shoot a wave-motion gun attack with it.

Quite possibly the most impressive example for this topic, really.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
Of all the Nanoha girls, you pick a bit villain? Not Nanoha and her staff/cannon/pike that could rain down a blast with all the force of an atomic bomb (with the restrictors on!) Fate and her deathscythe/beamsword? Vita and her hammer that turns into a freakin' rocket drill? And how could you leave off Signum, whose weapon is a freakin' Ivy Blade that extends out for hundreds if not thousands of feet, trapping her enemy in a literal web of blades?

And another thing, how do you forget/negate Haruko Haruhara's famously souped-up Rickenbacker bass/machine gun?

Shame, Gia. SHAME.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

In descending order of destructiveness:

Gunbuster 2: Nono, who spoiler[is a weapon—the series' ultimate one. Creating and wielding a singularity and controlling a 60,000 mile tall mech are among her abilities.]

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster's eponymous mech, piloted by Noriko Takaya and Kazumi "Onee-sama" Amano.

Easily number one and number two. Not much is more epic than the Gunbusters.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh, and Yoko's sniper rifle is pathetic compared to the Harkonnen used by Seras Victoria. The latter is spoiler[a highly modified 30mm anti-armour (well, anti-anything) canon firing either depleted uranium shells with silver tips or incendiary napalm shells, and the gun is far bigger than Yoko's pea-shooter. Of course, even the Harkonnen is only a baby compared to its successor, the absolutely monstrous Harkonnen II.]

I'm not sure about that, near the end of Gurren Lagann, spoiler[Yoko gets a rifle the size of the galaxy]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5