• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Removes Mislabeled Sailor Moon Bootleg DVD Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
There ya go. Get it right! I don't know how 'Amazon.com' does their stuff some times, but that's a bad blunder on their part.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Heh. It's about time. Not that it's gonna help anything. I'm never buying an anime DVD from them again.

Because of this accident or for a different reason? I'm just curious.

Because of this. There were other bootlegs being sold by Amazon that were pointed out as a result of this one, so my trust in Amazon for anime DVDs is completely shot now. I'm just gonna stick with ordering books from them, the little I do order from them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Hm, well, I use Amazon Marketplace to buy whatever anime I can find for a low price. So far, not a single problem. One item I got was damaged during delivery, but I was able to get a refund.

I've ordered some books from Amazon, and no problems. But then again, you're unlikely to find actual bootleg of books.
Strephon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I think what everyone's missing is there have been some occurences where an official release was announced as "bootleg" editions. Most confuse "bootleg" as pirate and label it under one definition.

The rock/pop group Train oftentimes tours the country doing a lot of clubs and singing while making recordings of those events and giving them away free to those who attend those avenues. These recordings, with professional CD cover wrappings, are traded quite heavily on Train fansites. Much can be said about DVD's and so forth.

In this case, I think Amazon may have just made a mistake by mislabeling the item.

If you're insinuating that the box set may have been 'official'' in some other country, you're wrong.

It was a release not condoned by the original creators and license holders, sold for profit they would never see.

I don't think that's the point that was being made (or, if it was, there's still a valid point to be made from it). If you search Amazon for "bootleg," especially in the music section, you'll see a number of "bootlegs" that are approved items--often live rather than studio recordings. The point is that just telling Amazon "Hey, that's a bootleg" is not the same thing as saying "Hey, that's an illegal pirated edition," and that could have been a potential source of confusion. (If you told them, "Hey, 'Bob Dylan Live 1975' is part of the Bootleg Series," you wouldn't be telling them that it's a pirated edition.)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Proman wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Heh. It's about time. Not that it's gonna help anything. I'm never buying an anime DVD from them again.

Because of this. There were other bootlegs being sold by Amazon that were pointed out as a result of this one, so my trust in Amazon for anime DVDs is completely shot now. I'm just gonna stick with ordering books from them, the little I do order from them.

You're going to stop buyng from them because they mistakenly (i say this because I doubt they'd intentionally set out to sell a bootleg product -due to all the problems it could cause) put up a bootleg for sale? Rolling Eyes Remember this was their corporate site not the Marketplace which is known for such things. It was an accident and it seems some people are taking this far too seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
I don't think that's the point that was being made (or, if it was, there's still a valid point to be made from it). If you search Amazon for "bootleg," especially in the music section, you'll see a number of "bootlegs" that are approved items--often live rather than studio recordings. The point is that just telling Amazon "Hey, that's a bootleg" is not the same thing as saying "Hey, that's an illegal pirated edition," and that could have been a potential source of confusion. (If you told them, "Hey, 'Bob Dylan Live 1975' is part of the Bootleg Series," you wouldn't be telling them that it's a pirated edition.)

At least that actually makes the name change make sense. Because I've only really encountered the term "bootleg" in anime, I guess I (and many others) just automatically assume that it always means illegal when obviously it doesn't.

Also, while Amazon definitely should look into whoever was the supplier of this item, I don't blame them for carrying it. There are some very high quality bootlegs out there, good enough that you almost can't tell it is a bootleg unless you look at something like the region coding and that's not something a company like Amazon would do, especially since anime DVDs aren't their main product.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, now that Amazon's properly addressed the accidental sale of illegal merchandise, they've won back at least one customer. I can see where there might be some confusion between bootlegged music CDs (often at least semi-official live recordings) and bootlegged DVDs, but I still think one of the world's largest online retailers could stand to be a little less oblivious about what sort of stock they make available on their site.

Actually removing pirated merchandise instead of simply labeling it so and continuing to sell it is a step in the right direction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
OK, lets get some things cleared up.

First, this bootleg page (like many bootleg pages) are created by Amazon Marketplace sellers. From what I understand, Amazon allows sellers to create pages for products they are selling which Amazon is not. Amazon gets a cut on the sale as does any merchant (such as myself if someone bought one after going to Amazon from me since I don't link bootleg filth).

Second, the title of the listing was likely changed by a fan. I've been trying to change the title of the bootleg Tenchi set for a while but the title change has been rejected. In this case, it appears that someone at Amazon was being lazy and approved the change without realizing "Bootleg" was in the updated title.

As for you buying bootlegs over real stuff, it is easy to spot the bootleg listings. On the legit pages, if you try to buy from the merchants, you will run into bootlegs again, but everything I have ever purchased from Amazon has always been legit.

I will say that Amazon doesn't take the bootleg issue seriously enough. I know FUNimation was supposed to address the Tenchi bootleg with Amazon but they don't pay enough attention when people try to bring this to their attention.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
First, this bootleg page (like many bootleg pages) are created by Amazon Marketplace sellers. From what I understand, Amazon allows sellers to create pages for products they are selling which Amazon is not. Amazon gets a cut on the sale as does any merchant (such as myself if someone bought one after going to Amazon from me since I don't link bootleg filth).

ANN News wrote:
While the separate Amazon Marketplace is known for harboring third-party sellers of bootlegged material, this particular bootlegged Sailor Moon Sailor Stars version appears on Amazon's main corporate website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Proman wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

I've bought a ton of anime from them, all of it legit and arriving in perfect condition after being bought for cheap. They aren't known for putting out anime bootlegs, and in this case I don't know why anyone here really cares. Yes, calling it an "official set" would be cause for upset, since it's not (and just about everyone who bought it knows that whether they admit it or not). But the series isn't licensed anywhere and it's never likely to be. The bootlegs are the only way to get it, and I expect most people who like Sailor Moon own a bootlegged copy of season 5. So not only are people completely overreacting to this so they can decry the evil that is Amazon.com, we've got a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Celes

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Ok, well good for Amazon for finally getting this straightened out, but I don't understand why everyone is getting overexcited and screaming about how they will never shop at Amazon again. I know some people can't easily distinguish bootlegs but isn't anyone going to at least try to educate themselves and shop a little more responsibly? I mean, it's still the internet, you never really know what you are going to get once you click "send order", and if you are unsure about an item or get a bad feeling about it, simply e-mail a complaint/comment, find another place to purchase it, and move on.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
I don't understand why everyone is getting overexcited and screaming about how they will never shop at Amazon again. I know some people can't easily distinguish bootlegs but isn't anyone going to at least try to educate themselves and shop a little more responsibly?

Okay, here's my take on the reactions of many who have said that they will not shop Amazon anymore:

1) This product was advertised on Amazon's OFFICAL CORPRATE web page. Thus AMAZON was making this illegal product legitimate in the eyes of people who are uneducated.

2) This product was labeled as official. It is not. Not in the United States nor in Japan. Period. WE know that Sailor Moon is no longer licensed in the United States but do anime newbies know that? Do our friends and family who think that they are doing something special for us know that. No, they do not. So, we are angry that Amazon is essentially taking advantage of them.

3) The last thing is the fact that it took so long for Amazon to do something about it. The first report concerning the product was in December 2006. It took 6 months plus ANN and other anime web sites as well as their members to get Amazon to do ANYTHING about it.

Those are my reasons as to why many are saying that they will no longer buy from Amazon.com.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Wed May 23, 2007 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batman3777

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
Ok, well good for Amazon for finally getting this straightened out, but I don't understand why everyone is getting overexcited and screaming about how they will never shop at Amazon again. I know some people can't easily distinguish bootlegs but isn't anyone going to at least try to educate themselves and shop a little more responsibly? I mean, it's still the internet, you never really know what you are going to get once you click "send order", and if you are unsure about an item or get a bad feeling about it, simply e-mail a complaint/comment, find another place to purchase it, and move on.

These are valid points, to a certain extent. However, since Amazon never shows pictures of the packaging in its shrink-wrap, it’s hard to know before it arrives whether or not it is legit. We regular customers rely on a household name like Amazon.com to be able to filter out real from fake.

For example, I am an eBay seller of YuGiOh cards, one of the most counterfeited items in existence today, and I can tell very easily a fake from the real thing; but more importantly, if I can't, then I contact the manufacturer, send a sample, do whatever I have to so as to make sure what I have is legit BEFORE I sell it. Now if I can do that all by myself, Amazon with its whole staff should be able to do the same. This is not an isolated incident with them, and so now, with a product not even licensed here in the US yet, was a perfect time to call them to task over this issue. I'll keep buying from them, just not anime dvds for a while. Not until I am sure they know what they are doing.

And for the Amazon apologists: while I understand your point about the "bootleg" term being ambiguous, my point is that from the info they had (poor ratings, and region-free coding which is not at all legitimate) they should have made the decision to pull the product FIRST, and then investigate to see if its an honest product, as they could always re-list it if it turned out to be a wholly authorized product. That is how a responsible retailer operates. That is why I am glad that I could help make a fool out of them enough to get the product removed (maybe, or maybe they finished investigating, who knows), whilst giving everyone a good laugh, because the world needs laughter. Laughing And it helps cut the seriousness a bit. Although, people paying good money for a crappy bootleg is not a laughing matter… people did get hosed over it, and that’s not fair.

Anyway, enough of my prattle. I’m just glad Amazon has one less bootleg listed. Cool
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that people aren't aware of the number of bootlegs in the legitimate supply chain. Almost every retailer has unintentionally sold boots, and it's far more rampant than you'd expect.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
I'm surprised that people aren't aware of the number of bootlegs in the legitimate supply chain. Almost every retailer has unintentionally sold boots, and it's far more rampant than you'd expect.
I've bought many a disc from Amazon and none of them were illegal boots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3