• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oh! Edo Rocket.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Edo Rocket

Oh! Edo Rocket is anime by Madhouse studio with Seiji MIZUSHIMA directing. Now I know some of you are saying who? And I counter with the director behind Fullmetal Alchemist! That's right he's back after having one of the most popular shows (in the US) and one with a lot of critical acclaim. I am not sure where this story will take us or if I am going to be looking at this and seeing if it's better then FMA but I am interested.

So as episode one begins were treated to the sight of a rocket being blasted off into the air only to see explosive into a giant fireworks display. Alright and now there are strange Pokemon fighting one another, what the heck was that. The art for this show sure is strange with the backgrounds that are so so different to what I've normally seen....it's as if there a maturity to it and the and characters are very simple/kiddie I guess you could say.

Ok even I had a good chuckle at the police as they searched for the crook. Ok so now the ninja police are hunting the pokemon....and they melt instead of faint in this version Wink

So this show sure is strange with the odd beat humor and the characters sure are interesting, also does anyone see a little Super Mario in the short bald man? I think the mustache is a dead give-away....now if he only had a hat....And what is wrong with the tile layers mouth!Shocked

I'd don't know why but during the final scene when the we learn about going to the moon all I think about was Pokemon theme song and I switching out pokemon with Fireworks.....gosh I am strange.

Ending theme: a strange little song that for some reason I am enjoying....I think that the great animation really helps seeing how unique and good it looks....and yes I am going to have Bababa baba ba in my head all day now.

I guess the ending theme wasn't the ending, there like historical notes on fireworks and the people who shaped the policy against fireworks. I must say this is really awesome, lots of the notes have actual pictures of what things look like, and for a show that so goofy this is the perfect way to give information on this time period.

Verdict: The foremen would like to read the verdict but he's laughing too much and is having a second go at the episode. I think this show is hilarious and could be a massive hit, sure I was drawing comparison with Seikichi Tamaya to Edward Elric but I am willing to get this show a chance seeing as how I enjoyed FMA so much. I don't think I am going to be watching this as each episode is released, more then likely I am going to probably watch 2-3 episodes batches much like Blue Dragon. Also a small note there wasn't an opening to song to start this episode, although th encyclopedia does list one. My bet is that will see it in the second episode, I am quite excited to say the least. Also just to let everyone know yes this is part of the Spring line-up it's just that no one wanted to sub it.....until now.
ikky

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
the first episode was certainly enjoyable Very Happy I'm not usually into period series, but this one caught my attention with the animation/art style. Backgrounds in some places seem to be based off calligraphy (? correct me if I am wrong) artwork.

The character designs themselves are kind of weird, but suit the show and are fluidly animated. Also, the super deformed old people are hilarious.

The ending theme and is awesome~.

This might become my feelgood show of the season Cool Again, Madhouse proves that they are an awesome animation studio by doing a lot of different works. 3/5 shows I am watching this season are by them.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I guess the ending theme wasn't the ending, there like historical notes on fireworks and the people who shaped the policy against fireworks. I must say this is really awesome, lots of the notes have actual pictures of what things look like, and for a show that so goofy this is the perfect way to give information on this time period.

Actually that was something included by the fansubbing group. They've done it before with other anime.

Anyway, I'm really surprised that you didn't mention that the main writer behind Fullmetal Alchemist is also the main writer behind Oh! Edo Rocket. So you have the same director and writer behind both series. Rather interesting, I must say.

I really enjoyed the first episode. The first half was crazy with all sorts of introductions and events that don't make any sort of sense, but their context is given in the second half which pretty much clears things up. The scene where spoiler[Seikichi, Gin, and the others are trying to get out of trouble with Nishinosuke] was probably my favorite one; had me laughing hard there. Animation was fantastic. (How the hell does Madhouse manage to do so many different series and movies, and yet keep them at such consistant and frequently high quality? They're a wonder.) Art was suitable and the facial expressions were a real treat. The soundtrack reminded me of Darker than BLACK at moments, of all things... which is a good thing. Oddly fitting here. Very enjoyable characters, the whole lot of them.

I'm definitely following this one.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the middle of getting this...

I was pleasantly surprised that someone finally did it... took them long enough.
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Little fun tidbit: Oh! Edo Rocket script's is a very close adaptation from a theatrical play by Gurren-Lagann screenwriter, creator and series composer.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

I'm in the middle of getting this also. I like me a good anime comedy, and this seems like it could be a nice companion to Hayate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
DKL wrote:

I'm in the middle of getting this also. I like me a good anime comedy, and this seems like it could be a nice companion to Hayate.

I got this last nigh (or this morning...) when it popped up and I thought it was going to be something different then a comedy (haven't watched it yet) but now I know it should be hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Actually that was something included by the fansubbing group. They've done it before with other anime.

Anyway, I'm really surprised that you didn't mention that the main writer behind Fullmetal Alchemist is also the main writer behind Oh! Edo Rocket. So you have the same director and writer behind both series. Rather interesting, I must say.

I should of figured that considering the who's subbing it and it doesn't surprised me now that I think about it seeing as how well done that segment was.

As for not mentioning Shou AIKAWA, I guess I could mention it, but really FMA was an adaptation for a almost 30 episodes. And to be frank the writing wasn't that great towards the end of the series, although I still love FMA. I must say that I am sure am impressed by the writing thus far.

DKL wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised that someone finally did it... took them long enough.

Seriously, I am not sure why but a lot of subbers were against this title from the start, which I just don't understand considering how good that first episode was.

Quote:
I got this last nigh (or this morning...) when it popped up and I thought it was going to be something different then a comedy (haven't watched it yet) but now I know it should be hilarious.

I pick it up late last night and I planned to watch, but I guess I am getting old. I ended up falling a sleep. Anime smile + sweatdrop (This is best thing I could find, there isn't a old man emoticons)

Otherwise I was very pleased by the humorous tone of this series, I definitely didn't expect it, but it was quite nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1