• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Cancels Nymphet Release in North America

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:

No, I believe mt-i was pointing out that calling everyone who reads Kodomo No Jikan a potential child molester and worthy of derision is needlessly insulting and baseless. Way to miss the point.

Well I never called anyone a potential child molester and neither did anyone else in any of these threads so that sounds a bit like a persecution complex to me.
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ZaWarudo wrote:

No, I believe mt-i was pointing out that calling everyone who reads Kodomo No Jikan a potential child molester and worthy of derision is needlessly insulting and baseless. Way to miss the point.

Well I never called anyone a potential child molester and neither did anyone else in any of these threads so that sounds a bit like a persecution complex to me.

Mohawk has equated posters with the people who kidnapped Maddy McCann several times.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
Zac wrote:
ZaWarudo wrote:

Mohawk has equated posters with the people who kidnapped Maddy McCann several times.

Then Mohawk is full of crap...just like all you morons who think that.
Zauriel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote
What the hell? They cancelled the manga license, just because of its inappropriate and controversial context? How could they cancel a profitable product, regardless of whether it is inappropriate or not?

According to the Amazon sales rank chart , Nymphet's sales are higher than that of Seven Seas' other manga named Strawberry Panic.

Strawberry Panic's rank in Amazon sales is #73,359 while Nymphet ranks #19,422 in that same list. That's way much higher, if I must say
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quote
Omega13 wrote:
I really hope you realize how asinine and dangerous that kind of thinking is. We should have freedom of the press unless 'the majority really disagrees with it'? How the heck would freedom of the press even work under those caveats? Short answer is: it wouldn't. 'Well, it's a democracy' has no relevance in this case. Democracy is for making decisions that unilaterally affect everyone (i.e. laws that everyone lives under); choosing to print a book or not is not such a case. Don't like it? Don't read it, and it doesn't affect you. Thinking that the 'majority' should be able to prevent printed material from being distributed is patently absurd, and you should be ashamed for even suggesting that.

Its funny how as soon as someone believes they are undoubtedly in the moral right, they feel its okay to be as condecending and obnoxious to the person theyre disagreeing with. Even if you totally disagree with everything I say, you dont have to be a jerk. Infact you would be well advised to do so not just for the obvious reasons but also because people will be much more likely to actually consider your points if you present them in a intelligent and polite manner.

I believe if you read my post you will never find the word "should". Im simply explaining how things work. People like to make a big fuss over "its a free country, we can do w/e we want." Thats really not true though. There is tons of stuff that you infact cannot do/print. The point Im trying to make is that in a democracy if the majority thinks you should not be allowed to do something, it will be made so that you CANNOT do it. As it happens, alot of the time even though the majority disagrees with something they do still feel that people have the right to do so, therefore it remains legal.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote
Zauriel wrote:
What the hell? They cancelled the manga license, just because of its inappropriate and controversial context? How could they cancel a profitable product, regardless of whether it is inappropriate or not?

According to the Amazon sales rank chart , Nymphet's sales are higher than that of Seven Seas' other manga named Strawberry Panic.

Strawberry Panic's rank in Amazon sales is #73,359 while Nymphet ranks #19,422 in that same list. That's way much higher, if I must say

Its pretty simple. True they may have made a profit off it, but at what cost? THe comanies reputation would be damaged for releasing a Manga many people deemed innapropriate, not to mention the damage to their reputation in the even of a scandal if this came into the eyes of the public.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hey Emmentalman!

Yes?

Quote:
Since you like to boost so loudly and proudly that you have read all of Nymphet. Does Rin ever get expelled from her school for her despicable behavior toward her teacher?

No.

Quote:
Is her parents ever called in by the headteacher to explain why Rin is acting that way?

She has no parents.

Quote:
Does the teacher even report her to his head teacher, or principle?

Like mt-i wrote, the teacher happens to be headteacher of Rin's grade, and he visits her protector, a 20 something blue collar worker and close relative, because he finds Rin's troublesome behavior way off normal.

Everyone in all these threads on ANN and elswhere who think Kojika is only a bad comedy manga with lots of pointless titillation and a plot without any merits is simply wrong. It's pointless to discuss this any further with people who haven't read the title in question.

Quote:
To those who lament that their right to feed their craving of fanciful dreams involving themselves and children, or to be an aroused witness to such occurances, has been somehow cruelly torn from them; You will just have to move to Japan where you will no doubt be able to bathe in the hot springs of what ever form of paedophilia fantasies you long for, leaving the moral majority to their fates you know so well will happen to them. I'm sure Japan will welcome you all with the openness they have historically shown to others like you in the past, which you so well deserve. Wink

1) piece of fiction =! real-life

2) As graduate student in japanese language & culture (major) I happen to have lived for two years in Japan, and you Sir, you're lame flamer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:25 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
It's pointless to discuss this any further with people who haven't read the title in question.

I used to agree with that up until they canceled it. Before that, I though that the Manga could easilly be innapropriate but without reading it it wasnt fair to just assume it was. The fact that they decided to cancel it though is enough proof to me that it was innapropriate so I am now willing to take such an oppinion. You could argue that it was only canceled due to pressure, but I find that less beleivable seeing as they offered such a good explanation behind their decision.
Soverene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
To some extent youre right. However you do have to draw a line somewhere.

Quote:
saying that just because there is a larger number against something than for it does not always mean it's right. In the case of political parties certainly, but not in regards to what manga/books/movies and so on that are okay for people to watch.

that depends on what you mean by right. If youre talking morally, I think maybe it does. Morals are relative to the individual so the only way to really come up with a set of non subjective Morals is to look at what the majority of people think.

Bottom line is, in a democracy the majority rules. Now alot of times though the majority might dissagree with something but still think people have the right to say/write it. This is what freedom of speech and the press and all that are about. But if the majority dissagrees with something and feels it should not even be allowed to be printed then thats the way it is.

Or say, just let publishers release what they want and the public will decide what they will read and not. Allowing the majority to decide that the minority is now allowed to read a book because they don't like it is not democracy.

In a democracy the majority rules yes, but it does not apply on everything. To simple it down, depending on what form of democracy it is, either the people themselves vote about important decisions, or they vote for representatives which decide on important decisions. Going beyond that and deciding on smaller things in life (like oh say, what books people are allowed to read) has nothing to do with democracy.

I would like to pose a question to everyone: If a majority suddenly decided that your favourite manga you're currently following should stop being published, would you be ok with that? If so, why? If not, why?
elsie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
The majority rules the marketplace, regardless of whether or not the society is democratic. If the market audience for the book is such a minority that it is not enough to make it profitable in the face of majority criticism, then not publishing the product is a business decision, rather than a free speech decision. Seven Seas appears to perceive that the market for KnJ is not sufficient to offset the potential profit loss of its other products that could be affected by its publication, if the company were to be boycotted as a result of publishing this manga. The publishers can't just "release what they want." They must release what will make a profit if they want to stay in business. When it's a battle between free speech and free market, free market always wins.
Omega13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I believe if you read my post you will never find the word "should". Im simply explaining how things work. People like to make a big fuss over "its a free country, we can do w/e we want." Thats really not true though. There is tons of stuff that you infact cannot do/print. The point Im trying to make is that in a democracy if the majority thinks you should not be allowed to do something, it will be made so that you CANNOT do it. As it happens, alot of the time even though the majority disagrees with something they do still feel that people have the right to do so, therefore it remains legal.

Fortunately, things DON'T work this way. In fact, just a few years ago, Republicans tried to make things work this way in Congress. It was called the 'Nuclear Option', which basically said 'we're going to make a rule that if the minority Democrats don't agree with us and the President, they can shut the hell up'. How well did that idea go over?

Now, I would not have been so 'condescending and obnoxious', as you put it, had you implied that you were referring to the marketplace, as elsie did. The majority definitely does rule there, but that's due to people wanting to make money, and realizing that there's a point where outcry over a controversy will yield a net loss, whether immediately or over time, and not necessarily because they agree with or kowtow to the beliefs of the majority. While I don't agree with it, I do understand the business needs behind it. Your implication, however, was that, should a majority of people suddenly say 'Oh, we don't think so-and-so should ever be allowed to speak/write/express themselves again because we don't agree with it', then that's the way it's going to be, which is ridiculous.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
okay, I think weve gone massively off topic here. My original point was simply that despite the whole freedom thing, there are still rules. Though most of these tend to apply to simply WHEN you can print/say certain things, there is still some stuff that is altogether not allowed. These rules are created by the majority. I was saying this in response to someones complaint that "they didn't like other people deciding what they could read". My point being, thats the way it works even in a democracy.

BTW Omega13, that example is totally innaplicable here. Also, that is the way it works. Ofcourse because people rarely feel something is so bad that you shouldnt even be allowed to do it, we really dont see many things added to that list. Still though theres plenty of stuff that you are already not allowed to do for thst reason.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
mt-i wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yes this is why parents, like myself, really don't want this manga released outside of Japan. We don't want the "truth" be known that all children are actually born nymphomaniacs constantly craving sex in any form. We want to keep this revelation to ourselves. I bet you can't wait to have children of your own just so you can experience this "truth" as well.

Quite a straw man you're pulling there. From asexual angels to sex-craved nymphomaniacs, there's some space where we all stand, at one point or another. Children included. Misrepresenting them as icons of innocence, shelving them off anything remotely sexual and forcing one's guilt-based set of morals upon them might not be the healthiest approach to sex-ed you can think of either (Yabuuchi Yuu, anyone?).
What's the matter? Don't recognise sarcasm when you see it? You obviously aren't a parent either, other wise you wouldn't have made such a stupid statement. A child knows nothing of the world, or it's environment straight from birth. They are like a blank tape, or unburned disc, so you see they are innocent until corrupted. I don't know what kind of parental guidance you had, or still have, but all children need to be taught and guided into adulthood. Much depends on the integrity, quality and direction of that teaching and guidance by those responsible for that child be it parent, or legal guardian and that also means what a child is allowed to experience by the examples of those parents and guardians. This is yet another reason why this story is so disgraceful.

Quote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Is her parents ever called in by the headteacher to explain why Rin is acting that way?

Some spoilers there, but you ask for them, right. Aoki, who happens to be the headteacher of Rin's grade, does indeed attempt to get in touch with her parents. But her mother is deceased and her father left before she was even born. Aoki goes so far as to pay a visit to Rin's home in person, though, and confront the young man responsible for Rin's education, her cousin Reiji. Those who think Kodomo no jikan is light-hearted comedy all the way through may want to reconsider.
And you want me to read all of this, when I can't stomach what I already know? I'm not that voyeuristic.
Quote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
To those who lament that their right to feed their craving of fanciful dreams involving themselves and children, or to be an aroused witness to such occurances, has been somehow cruelly torn from them; You will just have to move to Japan where you will no doubt be able to bathe in the hot springs of what ever form of paedophilia fantasies you long for, leaving the moral majority to their fates you know so well will happen to them. I'm sure Japan will welcome you all with the openness they have historically shown to others like you in the past, which you so well deserve. Wink

This is gratuitous and insulting, and all the more so as you obviously don't know anything about the material this vituperation is based on.
Tough, sue me! I know enough to realise this title is nothing but loli com fodder for whatever level of paedophilia fantasy beasts are pushing the gate to graze on it.
I suppose next thing you'll be telling me is that this is somehow educational and should be allowed in school libraries.
Quote:
I may not support SSE's decision to cancel Kodomo no jikan, but I can't say it came as much of a surprise, nor do I consider their handling of the matter inappropriate. Although I don't usually read translated manga, I might have picked up this one if only to salute the publisher's boldness; but in the end I don't really care either way.
For not caring either way you sure burned up your keyboard typing a lot of defensive shyte in favour of a story about an 8-year-old girl doing her best to a). have sex with her teacher, or b) get her teacher into trouble with his superiors.

Quote:
What does upset me, however, is seeing comments like the one above all over the place (from one ANN columnist not the least). Fans picking at some other fans' "special interests" in the name of good morals and portraying them as borderline sexual offenders for not disliking a genre that is becoming comparatively mainstream over in Japan. Way to go, people. Let's beat the crap out of one another before the media get a chance to meddle.
There's no smoke without fire, and if the shoes fit, wear them. What you, or anyone do in the privacy of your own home is your business, as long as no one is actually abused, or traumatised in anyway, and absolutly no children are involved That's fine with me if shyte like "Nymphet" floats your boat. But keep it to yourself and don't let anyone else know, because hate it, or not the moral majority will not be tolerant to see such things in public by any type of media. Also don't go on web forums saying that "it's terrible that people like me can't have our "special interests" in seeing sexualised children type stories in our local book stores! How stupid and narrow minded those people, who find such stories sick and disgusting, are?" I for one don't want to be tarred by the same brush you will be when the media had eventually found this story out, if it had got published. It has happened in the recent past here in the UK. I don't want that to ever happen again. Keep it out of the mainstream, that's all I ask. Japan is not the world, and the world is not Japan. It's ridiculous to think that just because the Japanese are tolerant of a higher level of loli com, and paedophilia, the rest of the world should be the same. If somehow that is a problem you can not live with, simply move to Japan and live there. I won't mind.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Emmentalman wrote:
2) As graduate student in japanese language & culture (major) I happen to have lived for two years in Japan, and you Sir, you're lame flamer.
So why did you go back to Switzerland?
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

What's the matter? Don't recognise sarcasm when you see it? You obviously aren't a parent either, other wise you wouldn't have made such a stupid statement. A child knows nothing of the world, or it's environment straight from birth. They are like a blank tape, or unburned disc, so you see they are innocent until corrupted. I don't know what kind of parental guidance you had, or still have, but all children need to be taught and guided into adulthood. Much depends on the integrity, quality and direction of that teaching and guidance by those responsible for that child be it parent, or legal guardian and that also means what a child is allowed to experience by the examples of those parents and guardians. This is yet another reason why this story is so disgraceful.

It's easy to go with the child innocence defense, but I think Golding was more accurate with the innate seed of evil thing in Lord of the Flies, which he wrote after WWII because, like many others at the time, he believed people had to be innately evil to commit such acts. Just look at school ground bullies, not all of them come from bad homes, but rather several of them come from well off families, and their not told their limits. Rather than every child being initially innocent, I personally think they start off with no boundaries and are then taught those boundaries later.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16