• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey about "Roots" of Otaku Lifestyle Published

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celes

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
This was a really interesting article! When I think about it, I too discovered my inner otakuism around middle school or so. I think it was around 7th grade.

I'm guessing that for my generation, some of the big animes to catch our eyes would have been Pokemon, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Neon Genesis...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
Wow that's interesting. Didn't think middle-school kids were into "old school" Yamato. But of course 'Gundam' and 'Eva' rank up there. I'm surprised 'DBZ' wasn't the most picked. That's interesting.

But yeah, my otakudom started in HS. But I guess those under me in age would be in the 'Eva', 'Gundam' , 'DBZ' and 'Pokemon' generations.
aluria

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Middle School makes sense. I discovered how much I was into anime in Secondary School, grade 8. A year later I realized that all my fav shows from the past were anime, like Samurai Pizza Cats.

Woot to Sailor Moon making it in the top^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow that's interesting. Didn't think middle-school kids were into "old school" Yamato. But of course 'Gundam' and 'Eva' rank up there. I'm surprised 'DBZ' wasn't the most picked. That's interesting.

Apparently the survey asked individuals who are now in their 20's and 30's. So when those people were in middle school was when Yamato was the "big" thing. I guess I fall into a very small minority in that I didn't become an otaku until AFTER college, but then again that was 14 years ago Confused
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I was first exposed to anime when USA Network aired Sailor Moon back when I was in fifth grade, and then Pokémon, Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, and Ronin Warriors back in middle school, but I really entered otakudom back in my senior year of high school, when I first discovered Big O, Kikaider, Reign: The Conqueror, Lupin the 3rd, Trigun, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Blue Gender, and FLCL on [Adult Swim]. Even back then, I was in the closet about my fandom, due to the erroneous American notions that "cartoons are for kids" and that "all anime is either Pokémon or pr0n".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
taiyakiotoko

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been into anime since I was about 7, but until I was about 12 I had no idea it was Japanese or what anime was. I watched Pokemon, Yugioh, and the craptastic 4kids Cardcaptor Sakura.

I didn't really get into anime until I was in 8th grade, and at that point I was desperate to watch every anime ever made since I had missed out on so much for so long (or so I thought.) Like so many others, the first "real" anime I watched was--you guessed it--Spirited Away.

By the way, I've never watched a full episode of DBZ in my life, not even in the depths of my childhood. Woohoo. Confused
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Basically as I was leaving High School I started getting into digisub/torrents and my interested in anime (which I had always enjoyed) took off. I guess my otaku-ness would probably be considering started in College. As for my favorite series it would probably be Gundam, (Wing) which I assume there combining all the gundam series together.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
It was an interesting read. Still makes me curious to find out more.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
taiyakiotoko wrote:
4kids Cardcaptor Sakura.

nelvana did it...was 4kids around back then???

anyway i think there should be a similar test here too. but i also expect DBZ to be number one.

speaking of which i became a otaku in high school officially in 10th grade. sigh good times eh?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

But yeah, my otakudom started in HS. But I guess those under me in age would be in the 'Eva', 'Gundam' , 'DBZ' and 'Pokemon' generations.

DBZ was a very highly rated series unlike Gundam and Eva which were more otaku titles. Most Gundam series get below 5.0% on the ratings, but I think Dragon Ball Z got some insane number over 20%, but this is going off of vague memory from 20 years ago.

I definitely was a big Gundam and Yamato fan back in the late 70s early 80s. These are not 8th grade students surveyed, but 20s and 30s fans like me!
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
taiyakiotoko wrote:
I've been into anime since I was about 7, but until I was about 12 I had no idea it was Japanese or what anime was. I watched Pokemon, Yugioh, and the craptastic 4kids Cardcaptor Sakura.

I didn't really get into anime until I was in 8th grade, and at that point I was desperate to watch every anime ever made since I had missed out on so much for so long (or so I thought.) Like so many others, the first "real" anime I watched was--you guessed it--Spirited Away.

By the way, I've never watched a full episode of DBZ in my life, not even in the depths of my childhood. Woohoo. Confused

I've never seen a full ep either, and I don't mind that. Although I would catch the last 10 or so minutes of it everytime I tuned into Toonami to watch Sailor Moon.
Miho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
I've been watching anime since I was 7 or 8 years old (my first being Sailor Moon), but I had no idea what anime was until I was 12 or so. Pokemon and the Cardcaptor Sakura dub were the two shows that got me into anime, which was around the time I was finishing 6th grade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1