Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon, Azureus to Offer Anime on BitTorrent via Vuze


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rose Kitsune



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 41
Location: New England

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of downloading the first episode for free; it's a good way for people that aren't sure they want the series, even those who want to buy DVDs rather than downloads, to watch it without wasting money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Celes



Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 223
Location: Madison, WI

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This is cool Anime smile I already use Vuze for stuff and I really like the program, it's easy to use.

Just curious, why couldn't they show the third ep of Lupin?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
skaly



Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
This is cool Anime smile I already use Vuze for stuff and I really like the program, it's easy to use.

Just curious, why couldn't they show the third ep of Lupin?


That might have been the Hitler episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Shale



Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 337
Location: The Middle of Nowhere, DE

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Indeed it was. Got kept off the DVDs for a while, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
~Brain.Wav~



Joined: 30 Aug 2002
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
They had me up until the DRM crap. On the first episode, at least, its free, why the need for DRM? And a lock-in to WMP10 and XP/Vista? I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand any WMP after 6...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Mr. Anobe



Joined: 29 Dec 2006
Posts: 43
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
Celes wrote:
This is cool Anime smile I already use Vuze for stuff and I really like the program, it's easy to use.

Just curious, why couldn't they show the third ep of Lupin?


That might have been the Hitler episode.


Yeah, that was the episode because I already seen on our G4TechTV in "the Great White North" (aka Canada)...uncut too. Smile

But I guess it was hard for Cartoon Network to show it, despite the satirism of history of WWII...so yeah. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Roy9076



Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 286
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
That'll be beneficial.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Celes



Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 223
Location: Madison, WI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
Celes wrote:
This is cool Anime smile I already use Vuze for stuff and I really like the program, it's easy to use.

Just curious, why couldn't they show the third ep of Lupin?


That might have been the Hitler episode.


Wow, a hitler episode...Well I would have never guessed, thanks for telling me!

I'm not a big Lupin fan, but I'd like to change that someday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
kokuryu



Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Posts: 915

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
Cool, nice looking service, I have to give it a try - although I think it bites that they have DRM stuff on it - that's illegal now in about 60% of the world today... They should follow Apple's lead and remove the DRM from everything...

Can you burn the titles you buy onto a DVD?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
~Brain.Wav~ wrote:
They had me up until the DRM crap. On the first episode, at least, its free, why the need for DRM? And a lock-in to WMP10 and XP/Vista? I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand any WMP after 6...


I also don't like the newer WMP, I am a bigger fan of media player classic, as for the DRM they have to do this to protect themselves. Otherwise Joe Schmo is going to download all the episode and upload it right back onto the same bit torrent service and then everyone will be stealing legit high quality episode straight from the licensor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
ckdbomb



Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
Has it been said whether the anime from the service will be subbed, dubbed, or dual? I'd consider trying it as long as subbed is included, dub only would be a shame...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
ckdbomb wrote:
Has it been said whether the anime from the service will be subbed, dubbed, or dual? I'd consider trying it as long as subbed is included, dub only would be a shame...


As far as I know this is the only show that's being legally available for download with subs...I am pretty sure everything else is the dub version. Considering that most fans want dub it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a sub version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Shale



Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 337
Location: The Middle of Nowhere, DE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
~Brain.Wav~ wrote:
They had me up until the DRM crap. On the first episode, at least, its free, why the need for DRM? And a lock-in to WMP10 and XP/Vista? I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand any WMP after 6...


I also don't like the newer WMP, I am a bigger fan of media player classic, as for the DRM they have to do this to protect themselves. Otherwise Joe Schmo is going to download all the episode and upload it right back onto the same bit torrent service and then everyone will be stealing legit high quality episode straight from the licensor.


But...why is that bad? They're giving the episode away for free anyway!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deltakiral



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 3338
Location: Glendora, CA (Avatar Hei from Darker than BLACK)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
But...why is that bad? They're giving the episode away for free anyway!


Listen I am all for free episodes, as for DRM the free episode it's probably because they want people to use the service. You get valuable data when you collect those downloads, if it's unlocked and available via any sort of bit torrent program you don't get the same data.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
Does Vuze have effective means of locking out pesky foreigners (ie.: people in countries where Geneon don't hold the rights to the material, aka. me) from buying content?

I sure hope so! (NOT!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group