• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 TV Series Announced for October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nameles84

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree, it is protracting war is bad even though there is fun and enjoyment watching as a third person's view.

I would still say that Seed isn't that bad, but Destiny might seem get connected to the wrong wire... After ten or more episode, Freedom comes out and do some overkilling action kicking everyone's butt and chopping hands, legs and weapons... That is way overkill. (Well can't blame that. In consideration, Freedom's Tech Data are more superior than any new Suits produced, since there is a treaty on ZAFT and Earth Aliiance)

But overall, it is not bad even there seem to be some theory like 'Main characters can never Die.." or "Some Sub-Characters have nine lifes" .

I would say that they'd brought out Minerva (Another lime light like ArchAngel) out for the 'bad' guys or 'grey' guys to fight to win the war. No matter how 'good' the reason is, there is always some flaw
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's with all the SEED bashing? 0_o

SEED sucked, i think that's the basis for it. Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Those character designs look like from Yun Kouga of Loveless fame. It doesn't help that one of the Gundam pilots look like Ritsuka. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I was thinking about Lelouch from Code Geauss myself. Or at least a younger version of him.
Blanko4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Nameles84 wrote:
After ten or more episode, Freedom comes out and do some overkilling action kicking everyone's butt and chopping hands, legs and weapons... That is way overkill.

I just watched that episode last night and I thoroughly enjoyed that part. Maybe I just like the idea of a last gen MS winning against several new gen MSs. Or maybe I just like the Freedom.

Since SEED, was my first introduction to Gundam, I'm a bit biased since I haven't seen the much praised UC universe of Gundam. I've seen some episodes of Wing but not enough to gain a sense of attachment. SEED was great IMO, sans the last two episodes and the reused animation. And Destiny isn't that bad either but I'm not that far into it. The Astray manga is still my favourite part of the CE and helped me get over the last two episodes of SEED.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
so there is no seed 3?

Check the Anime forum. There is a SEED 3. It's a movie, and we know less about it than we do about Gundam 00.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Check the Anime forum. There is a SEED 3. It's a movie, and we know less about it than we do about Gundam 00.

Yeah, I'm surprised this news came out instead. Had thought that the next major announcement on Gundam animes would be news on SEED 3 Movie.

I'm looking forward to this one. The character designs and mecha looks okay. I don't like big robots but those slick Mobile Suits of SEED are ownage.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:

SEED was no UC Gundam, but it did not by any means suck at all. The last episode was incredible as was a majority of the later half. Plus, Flay rocked.

I'm looking forward to this one as well. The AD timeline has me interested and I like the character designs so far. Plus, the logo has a distinctly more 'retro' feel to it, so I'll hope for the best for now.

It can't be worse than GSD.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Bandai has been making a huge stink recently about wanting three timelines: one for older adults (Universal Century, with all of its "old man war story" type OVAs and novels), one for young children and junior high students (Gundam SEED and its Cosmic Era), and a third for the high school and college-age crowd in the middle of the two extremes. More than likely, this Gundam 00 will be the first attempt at tamping down that third main line.

Im curious why you'd say that. Id agree with you about UC and I wouldnt claim that CE falls into that category. However, for young children and junior high students? That seems a little much.

J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:

you suck. Now before anyone complains that I'm flaming, is it still flaming if its true? It obviously must be true becuase I stated it while offeing no explanation to back it up. Seriously though, Im obviously not seriously trying to insult you. Im just using this to demonstrate my point. I would think someone with 1000+ posts would know that on ANN we usually give reasons and explanations to back up statements.

SarcasticPirate wrote:
Marwin wrote:
Looks good, though we don't get to see much. I liked the design of the new mobile suits, perhaps even better than those from SEED. But seriously, stop bashing at SEED. SEED is win! And Destiny too, if not quite so much.

Its not that SEED and SEED Destiny were really bad shows, (SEED was good but Destiny is mediocre at best), it's just that when compared to other Gundam series, such as War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, or Zeta Gundam, they look like steaming piles. Beautifully drawn artwork, superb character design, astonishing fight scenes, and great character and plot development were exchanged for dull artwork with 'candy-colored' visuals, 'copy and paste' character design, replayed fight scenes (its ok to do a couple of times, but to see the same thing about six times in one episode alone is not acceptable, let alone the fact that nearly every episode is like this), and extremely lacking two dimensional characters, and enormous plot holes (such as the famous helmet incident spoiler[after Mu is 'killed' at the end of SEED we can see his battered helmet floating in the wreckage of his mobile suit, then reappears with only a scar and minor amnesia after being blown up and then floating in the vacuum of space without a helmet]) or like in SEED Destiny how the first ten / twelve episodes are used to build up several characters that are hardly ever seen again, and are replaced with a new Kira, but now even more of a twelve year-old emo (Shinn).

Don't even get me started in on 'Jesus Yamato.' Rolling Eyes

Though I hardly agree with Marwin (Destiny was crappy and I question the statement "SEED is Win!") I think people arent giving SEED enough credit here. Firstly, let me ask: Is anyone here who's anti-SEED not originally a UC fan? Perhaps your right, it just doesnt compare to old UC, but Is it really that or just people being partial to what they originally were a fan of? I've seen alot of Gundam, SEED before UC, and SEED is one of my favorites.

As per your arguements. Firstly, I'll say: Dont let Destinys poorness and plotholes drag down SEED. I'll admit, repeated animation and indentical character designs were some of the problems with SEED. Still its not like UC was flawless either.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Main theme of Gundam?

"War is hell."
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
It can't be worse than GSD.

Bite your tongue, knock on wood, and remember to never say never!!! I almost went for virtual Holy Water to throw at Nagisa when he brought up Clusters Edge Evil or Very Mad. Nagisa and I have disagreed quite a bit over SEED/GSD (I didn't dislike GSD for one thing, just had some major issues with it) over the years but he's dead on about Clusters Edge being a mess. Honestly, no one would ever say that Gundam SEED Destiny had too many clips used in it if they had seen Clusters Edge (I watched them at the same time). The show (which I tend to call "Jesus Christ Yaoi" because the lead character is basically that - walks on water, brings things back from the dead, and more, while looking his bishey best, all going on in a world where you could count the women on one hand Rolling Eyes ) is unbelievable bad* - though I admit I wish I'd been able to see the entire thing (I saw what was available - btw, this show was extreme car crash territory and I kept wondering just how much worse it could get Twisted Evil ). So yes, there is worse than GSD and don't kid yourself that there isn't :shutter: .
That said, the art work reminds me more of a mix of CLAMP/Code Geass than Clusters Edge or Loveless. Either way, I'm happy for a new universe for Gundam that doesn't seem to be coming at the expense of the other AUs Smile .

*Other problems with Clusters Edge - extremely poor animation, along with over 7 shows of the 15 I saw being clip (and I can only remember four women in it - one of the guys moms, another characters grandmother, a nun, and random female that popped up in one episode). This was a Bones/Sunrise shows fellow posters and proved to me that Bones can screw it up like everyone else Sad .
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote
In regards to bashing CE shows: SEED was an entertaining show.
SEED was the first Gundam show I ever watched, and it got me into checking out the rest of the G-Calenders.

I'd love to see a documentary or something about the production of GSD. What happened? It was as if they chucked the script after the first 6 episodes, only to draw out 8 episodes worth of material over 20 of them, followed by 6 or so well-paced episodes. I really don't know what to make of it.

I'm now firmly in the UC camp in regard to which universe serves up the most consistent level of quality throughout, but the UC is also home to a few titles that I personally didn't care for. (ZZ (Anime ja nai), F91)

Now when it comes to 00, I hope the use of the AD calender heralds a departure from god-mode mobile suits. The UC had super weapons too, but at least they didn't have a cool down rate of 0 seconds between every shot.

It'll be interesting to see if this will be a straight-up real robot show, or whether they'll include some sort of Newtype/Coordinator/abnormal element into the mix.
I wouldn't mind; it's good to dream about the future, as long as it doesn't develop into a full-fledged magic show...
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote
Seriously, for those of you that keep saying "UC is the best," please understand:

IT IS INACCESSIBLE!

Unless you are REALLY into anime or have a fortune at your disposal (as well as a VHS player that still works), UC is simply a legend. It's a story that you've heard about from people that saw it back in the day, but it's next to impossible to get your hands on a full set of UC shows now.

Because of that, for those of us that came onto the anime scene within the last 5 years, we can't really enjoy the UC timeline like you guys did. AU (Alternate Universe for those that DON'T know the lingo) Gundams are what we have. And we like them. They are good. For someone who hasn't seen Gundam 0079, SEED is immensely enjoyable. In fact, I watched 0079 after SEED, and I liked SEED better. I thought the added dynamics between Kira and Athlun were much more interesting that simply seeing Amuro whining to himself.

But then again, isn't that the point of AU Gundams? To allow new fans to jump right in? SEED made the original Gundam story accessible to new audiences, and Gundam Wing, though different from other Gundam stories, was AWESOME. I just don't think people view it for the unique entity that it is.

Now, with my rant finished, I am excited about this new series. The character designs look good, and so do the Gundam designs. We'll see about the story.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
BleuVII: Poppycock. The original MSG movie complimations are on DVD, as is Char's Counter Attack, Zeta Gundam, and various boxed OAV collections, and for relativley cheap. Sure, we don't have a Japanese audio release of the TV series, or ZZ, but those are more or less negligible and you don't nessecerally need to see them.

You don't need the full set, honestly, and most of it is accessable. Well, the parts that are worthwile. Whether or not you'd think they're any good is entirely up in the air.

Edit: Original Gundam movies are currently OOP but it's only a matter of time before a new set comes out from Bandai anyway, probably around the same time as the Zeta movies get put out.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
Now, Steventheeunuch,

Walk into Best Buy. Any branch will do. Tell me how many of them you can find at that branch. Enough said.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Bleu, I can pick up Char's Counterattack AND the Zeta twin packs at Best Buy (I should know because I passed them over last time I was there for the Ai Yori Aoshi brickset).

And, if you can't, then you have many other avenues. Placing an order through a CD/DVD shop like FYE or Suncoast, or through your local comic book shop will get you exactly what you're looking for. You can frequently strike it rich at convention dealer rooms (hint, buying DVD's in bulk on day three of a convention when dealers are desperate to take home less than they arrived with is a good way to get nice round number deals).

And of course, there's always using this magical device called the INTERNET to buy your anime. Whether factory direct, through a media shop like Amazon, or even sniffing out legitimate deals on eBay.

If I can pick up My Youth in Arcadia for less than $20, I think you can locate UC Gundam DVD's.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6