• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 TV Series Announced for October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Which is why I said "Unless you are really into anime..." and so forth. Most people buy their anime from Best Buy or avenues like that. Normal anime fans don't go to dealer rooms at conventions and buy things in bulk. You are simply proving my point. UC stuff is much harder to get than CE stuff. To the average anime consumer, UC is inaccessible. I'm glad you can get Char's Counterattack and Double Zeta. I can't. And even if I could, it would be the movies, not the series.

For the newer generation, AU Gundams are what we have, and it's what we know how to get ahold of. And we like it. That's all I'm trying to say. I have seen a great deal of UC stuff, and it's good, but since I viewed it second, I don't have the fondness and nostalgia for it. A lot of improvements have been made in terms of technology, animation, and ESPECIALLY character design (whether you hate the SEED designs or not, you have to admit that the average character looks much more presentable than Ramba Ral).

So, I am VERY excited for this new series. I want to see where Gundam is going, and I have an open mind to them re-inventing the formula. I'm not going to bitch about how far they strayed from the original, because I frankly don't care. The original is good, but it's not godly. Every series needs to try new avenues.
covah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
I think the actual gundams look really good. I hope this one is better than Seed, I hated that series. Whine whine whine.
Gage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I think it is nice to add images to the news reports. It gives a change to the normal regular black text.
Oronae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not convinced that this series will take place in the AD calendar. I figure that given the name of the series is Gundam00 it'll take place primarily in year 0000 of a new calendar.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
I'm still not convinced that this series will take place in the AD calendar. I figure that given the name of the series is Gundam00 it'll take place primarily in year 0000 of a new calendar.

We can only go off what we know. And this is what they have told us thus far....
Quote:
the story will take place in 2307 AD of our modern calendar system—which is different from the fictional Universal Century calendar of the first Mobile Suit Gundam series, the Cosmic Era calendar of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, and the four other previously used calendar systems.
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Which is why I said "Unless you are really into anime..." and so forth. Most people buy their anime from Best Buy or avenues like that. Normal anime fans don't go to dealer rooms at conventions and buy things in bulk. You are simply proving my point. UC stuff is much harder to get than CE stuff. To the average anime consumer, UC is inaccessible. I'm glad you can get Char's Counterattack and Double Zeta. I can't. And even if I could, it would be the movies, not the series.

Yeah, well most normal anime fans don't have the patience to watch a nearly thirty year old anime, so odds are you aren't going to find it on the shelf at Best Buy (although my small town Best Buy has recently started to carry the Zeta Gundam DVDs). And even if you do just go buy anime from Best Buy and what you are looking for isn't there, the store will be happy to order it off the website for you. Take a look on Best Buy's website, you'll be surprised about how much they have to offer.

Also, just a minor correction: Char's Counterattack is a movie and there is no ZZ Gundam movie. I think you are confused with the original movie trilogy as well as the new Zeta trilogy.

BleuVII wrote:

A lot of improvements have been made in terms of technology, animation, and ESPECIALLY character design (whether you hate the SEED designs or not, you have to admit that the average character looks much more presentable than Ramba Ral).

While I agree that the animation for SEED is a vast improvement from the 1979 Gundam, SEED is nowhere near as good as some of the animation today (let alone that from 15 years ago) while 0079 was cutting edge at the time.

As far as character designs go, shame on you sir. Almost all of the SEED character designs are nearly exactly the same (same face, different hair). Someone on 2Chan made this image a while back to prove this point:

gohmifune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
UC is anything but inaccessible. How many people here play video games? There you go, almost all gundam games retell the early UC. You can go on Amazon and get the novel trilogy, what 20 bucks for three books, there are foreign subtitled disks on internet retailers, and it is anime, you can trade it, spread the love, I did so way back when, with the original trilogy on VHS, which you probably can find on Amazon too. With that said...

AUs don't suck, I love Turn A and X and I always will, but for instance, when it comes to series such as Seed and Wing, they are less cautionary tails and more cashcow rehashes of stories and motifs that have been done before. I for one enjoyed SEED, especially back in the hayday of BT fansubbing, but the AUs aren't given the time or depth or effort that the UC once was, otherwise they wouldn't be successful.

UC Gundams were for the most part not mecha shows, they were hard science fiction shows with space opera elements that had giant robots in them. They were more akin to votoms than the Go Nagai shows, Macross, or Patlabor.

What many UC fans want is the old glory back, a big story that is demographic neutral and things we remember. Most of us will always remember Amuro and Char, and the white mustache and Newtypes, but Freedom, Strike, and ANOTHER masked anti-hero/anti-villian, not so much.

Just give us a Gundam that means something, regardless of calendar.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
SarcasticPirate wrote:

While I agree that the animation for SEED is a vast improvement from the 1979 Gundam, SEED is nowhere near as good as some of the animation today (let alone that from 15 years ago) while 0079 was cutting edge at the time.

As far as character designs go, shame on you sir. Almost all of the SEED character designs are nearly exactly the same (same face, different hair). Someone on 2Chan made this image a while back to prove this point:

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for digging up that awesome haircut diagram. You probably could take it a step further and have all of Hirai's designs with a default face. His girl face is a bit different from his guy face, but the point still comes across. I love Yas' Ranba Ral style, and interestingly enough Andrew the Desert Tiger has the most unique design for Hirai. Hope you stay around SarcasticPirate.
Dunpeal83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I love Yas' Ranba Ral style, and interestingly enough Andrew the Desert Tiger has the most unique design for Hirai.

Andy is a copy of Jamil. Don't know if its supposed to be a homage to X or Hirai just ran out of faces combinations.

I'm not sure what 00 will be about based on the teaser but the next AU's Gundam will probably be a school comedy, or even worse a romantic one. Let's just hope they'll animate Unicorn for the anniversary.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
Although I am excited to hear about any new Gundam series, I am a little disappointed, because I thought at first that this would actually take place in UC0000, whenever in our timeline that was supposed to start (sort of like how "Enterprise" is our modern era's bridge to the future of the rest of the Star Trek universe). I think it's confusing to call it "00" when it's not a UC show.
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Although I am excited to hear about any new Gundam series, I am a little disappointed, because I thought at first that this would actually take place in UC0000, whenever in our timeline that was supposed to start (sort of like how "Enterprise" is our modern era's bridge to the future of the rest of the Star Trek universe). I think it's confusing to call it "00" when it's not a UC show.

Actually, having a show take place in UC0000 would be kinda lame because the UC timeline either starts in 1988 or 2001. Wink

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Hope you stay around SarcasticPirate.

Thanks, I plan to. Anime smile
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
SarcasticPirate wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

Actually, having a show take place in UC0000 would be kinda lame because the UC timeline either starts in 1988 or 2001. Wink

Huh, really? I thought the Universal Century began when man began building space colonies or moving into them. But I thought it was an undisclosed year.
gohmifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
UC0000 is supposed to be 2040 or 45 I believe, I know they say so in G-Saviour, but I think its in the books Tomino wrote and I'm sure I've seen elsewhere.
Dunpeal83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
There is no UC 0000. In 2081 the calendar is changed to Universal Century, that being UC 0001.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I liked SEED better. I thought the added dynamics between Kira and Athlun were much more interesting that simply seeing Amuro whining to himself.
its intresting that you have renton from eureka seven as your avatar considering the reason that eureka seven was even created was because gundam seed sucked so much that
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6