• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 TV Series Announced for October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quoted from the wikipedia article on Universal Century (grain of salt, etc.)

Quote:
Chronology
In a pre-production memo, Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino wrote that the first series takes place in 2066 AD, which would have the Universal Century calendar starting in 1988 AD. However, a "2079" date stamp in the first Gundam series's episode 26 and a "2087" date stamp in Zeta Gundam's episode 8 indicated a 2001 AD starting date. The date stamps were not included in the subsequent movie versions of these series, and these dates have since been contradicted by works not written by Yoshiyuki Tomino.

Based on a dated newspaper shown in the last episode of the Gundam 0080 OVA series written by Gainax's Hiroyuki Yamaga (Monday, January 14, 0080), the Universal Century can be pinpointed to begin in several specific years, including 2053, 2081, 2109, and 2149. In the Universal Century chronology, the last dated entry of the AD system was 2045 AD, leading to the common misconception that UC 0001 followed immediately afterwards. A few early unofficial sources even listed UC 0001 as 2046 AD (or even 2045, using bad math), but current official materials indicate the presence of a gap of years between the AD and UC calendar systems. Therefore the first year of the Universal Century calendar is deduced on the official Gundam website in North America as being 2053, 2081, 2109, or possibly later, meaning UC 0079 would correspond to 2131, 2159, 2187, or later.

Since the mid-1990s, new official Universal Century chronologies have avoided the inclusion of AD dates before UC 0001. The following are AD dates that were once published with Universal Century chronologies:

1957.10.04 AD
The Soviet Union successfully launches Humankind's first artificial satellite—Sputnik 1.
1961.04.12 AD
The Soviet Union successfully launches a manned artificial satellite—Vostok 1.
1969.07.20 AD
America successfully lands on the Moon's surface with Apollo 11.
1969 AD
Dr. G.K. O'Neill and others announce their space colony concept.
1990s AD
In every region of the world, border disputes and regional conflicts repeatedly erupt.
1999 AD
The Earth Federation government is established. The human space colonization program is announced.
2005 AD
The first solar generating satellite is successfully launched.
2009 AD
Earth Federal Forces is established.
2026 AD
The Jupiter Energy Fleet launches from Lunar orbit.
2045 AD
Construction of the first colony begins.

Basically, it depends on which director you ask, but since Tomino is the creator of Gundam I will stick with 1988.
Dunpeal83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
SarcasticPirate wrote:
Basically, it depends on which director you ask, but since Tomino is the creator of Gundam I will stick with 1988.

Since the Moday, January 14th 0080 is the only date actually shown it is probably most reasonable to go by that one as does Gundam High Frontier. Btw wikipedia is known to be not a very reliable source for Gundam-related information.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
SarcasticPirate wrote:
Actually, having a show take place in UC0000 would be kinda lame because the UC timeline either starts in 1988 or 2001. Wink

1969 according to Gundam Unicorn, which is the only official source (read: not faked official garbage based on fan speculation and scraps of preproduction notes...preproduction is never final, people) to ever give a consistent, concrete date.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dunpeal83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
1969 according to Gundam Unicorn, which is the only official source (read: not faked official garbage based on fan speculation and scraps of preproduction notes...preproduction is never final, people) to ever give a consistent, concrete date.

Are sure about that? Cause according to gundamofficial UC 0001 marks the year the first colonies were being built and if that were to happen in '69...
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Dunpeal83 wrote:
SarcasticPirate wrote:

Since the Moday, January 14th 0080 is the only date actually shown it is probably most reasonable to go by that one as does Gundam High Frontier. Btw wikipedia is known to be not a very reliable source for Gundam-related information.

Like I said, take the information with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, the dates vary throughout a span of about 80-90 years and most of those dates are from preproduction materials as well.
Obsessive Touga Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Seriously, for those of you that keep saying "UC is the best," please understand:

IT IS INACCESSIBLE!

Uh, right.

It's inaccessible as long as you willfully ignore the fact that all the most crucial parts of the chronology are available in R1 for great prices. The OMG HORROR of having to buy them online instead of at Best Buy doesn't somehow make them "inaccessible". Any fan who actually cares enough to watch anime made 30 years ago doesn't have to go to any particular effort to be able to do so in this case.

I mean, seriously, where do you get stuff like this:

Quote:
Unless you are REALLY into anime or have a fortune at your disposal (as well as a VHS player that still works), UC is simply a legend. It's a story that you've heard about from people that saw it back in the day, but it's next to impossible to get your hands on a full set of UC shows now.

Total nonsense Rolling Eyes
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
0079 is available on DVD, click here to see for yourself. I, personally, prefer UC over AU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
0079 is available on DVD, click here to see for yourself. I, personally, prefer UC over AU.

The fanboys don't like that release because it's dub only....while the movie trilogy is subbed only.
scrapps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
The fanboys don't like that release because it's dub only....while the movie trilogy is subbed only.

While not a fan"boy" plenty of us don't like the original series because it's really hard to sit through. Looking for salt anyone? The MSG movies on the other hand are quite good in my opinion and not that hard to get a hold of; most people seem to have a netflix account nowadays. I would recommend the MSG movies over the tv series any day to someone who was interested in getting into UC Gundam.

And just because you watched a show first doesn't mean you can't think it's horrible in comparison to something you watched later. I watched Wing first and watched Seed and Destiny years later. I like Seed for the most part, but Destiny really ruined Seed for me and made me uninterested in watching Gundam after that. If it wasn't for Turn-A, I probably wouldn't have gotten into Gundam ever.

Last edited by scrapps on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote
I personally loved Gundam SEED. Destiny, however, kind of spoiled the experience for me, so I tend to ignore it to an extent.

The character designs do not bother me, though. Anime has the power of making some very gorgeous characters, and I find it exceedingly hard to watch a series with anything less.

As such, I embrace the idea of a new Gundam series that both takes place in a brand new era and still has good looking characters.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote
Dunpeal83 wrote:

Are sure about that? Cause according to gundamofficial UC 0001 marks the year the first colonies were being built and if that were to happen in '69...

You do realize Gundam is a work of fantasy, right? It is not a true-to-life chronicle of real-world events, so if they want to throw space colonies up in 1969, it's really not our place to say they can't. It'd be like us saying Tolkien's works are rubbish purely because Elves and Orcs aren't real in our own world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Though I would always, if given a choice, watch the subbed version of a show or feature film, regardless whether it be anime or French noir, I have to give the R1 Gundam dub props. It's a decent adaptation.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
if they want to throw space colonies up in 1969, it's really not our place to say they can't. It'd be like us saying Tolkien's works are rubbish purely because Elves and Orcs aren't real in our own world.

I think I (and many of us) just assumed that Tomino was presenting a future that could happen, and that it wouldn't make sense for him to rewrite the last ten years of history before the first Gundam started in '79 because it would immediately become unbelievable as a possible future when the first part of the timeline had already not happened when the show debuted.

Anyway, screw Wikipedia. My Technical Manual has the timeline that starts with Sputnik's launch. Since it has colony construction starting in 2045, and it's been stated (very logically) that the Universal Century began with the construction of the colonies, that would mean 2045 = UC0001. For me, it's as simple as that. I sure as hell am not going to go by some shot of a newspaper. It's ridiculous to even mention something some dude matte-painted in five minutes that probably wasn't even vetted by the director.
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Gunota just posted new info!

Newtype via Gunota Headlines wrote:
The staff:
Director - Seiji Mizushima
Series Composition - Yousuke Kuroda
Character design - Yun Kouga
Animation character design - Michinori Chiba
Mechanic design - Kunio Okawara, Kanetake Ebikawa, Takayuki Yanase
Mechanic concept design - Hitoshi Fukuchi, Kenji Teraoka
Animation mechanic design - Seiichi Nakatani

The main Gundam seems to be the Gundam Excia.

There is also mention of a Sotsu Agency press release:

Sotsu Agency via Gunota Headlines wrote:
"The setting is Earth 300 years from the present day, in 2307 AD. The series depicts the protagonist, Setsuna F. Seiei, who pilots a mobile suit (Gundam Excia) for a mysterious private militia (Celestial Being), going against a whole world where conflicts never cease and the struggle to eradicate war."

Sort of sounds like The New Adventures of Kira Yamato, to me.

Anyway, the press release also says that the show will air in HD.

I'm looking forward to it..
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Hmm, Yosuke Kuroda. I've come to have a love-hate relationship with him.

And it looks like they are calling the group Celestial Being now, as some here thought they meant to from the beginning.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6