• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie 3 DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Someone who isn't bothered by creepy subtexts (Kazuto and little Valkyrie's undefined relationship being the primary one). Someone who likes fan service enough that it doesn't bother them that the same exact fan-service sequences are used in virtually every episode. Someone who doesn't find little Valkyrie's needlessly explicit transformation into big Valkyrie hair-raisingly unpleasant.."

Oh yeah, that would be me. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Is it just me, or do all the reviews on ANN of anime that have fanservice try to make the point that anyone who watches it must be a pedophile or a moron, or both?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
rabble wrote:

Oh yeah, that would be me. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Is it just me, or do all the reviews on ANN of anime that have fanservice try to make the point that anyone who watches it must be a pedophile or a moron, or both?

Where are you even getting this from? There isn't anything in that review that says "everyone who watches it is a pedophile or a moron". Carl obviously sees the show as a guilty pleasure.
rabble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
rabble wrote:

Where are you even getting this from? There isn't anything in that review that says "everyone who watches it is a pedophile or a moron". Carl obviously sees the show as a guilty pleasure.

Gee Zac, I said "all the reviews on ANN of anime that have fanservice", since I have yet to see one that doesn't include statements like the following. I think:
Quote:
Someone who isn't bothered by creepy subtexts (Kazuto and little Valkyrie's undefined relationship being the primary one). ... Someone who doesn't find little Valkyrie's needlessly explicit transformation into big Valkyrie hair-raisingly unpleasant.."

makes it pretty explicit that ANN believes this panders to the pedo crowd. And
Quote:
making it one piece of mindless fluff that is best enjoyed by a specific kind of person. ... Someone who doesn't mind their intelligence being insulted on a regular basis (not thinking is actually a requirement for enjoying the show).
pretty well covers the moron part.

But, considering the way you handled the Nymphet fiasco, I wouldn't expect someone like you to be able to see it.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Being a fan of mindless fluff, fanservicy or not (fan service is a plus in pretty much everything but serious shows, though. In serious stuff it can get a little annoying.), most shows like this are mediocre in general. C+ is probably the rating it deserves(Haven't even finished the second series yet, but the other DVDs of this series reviewed got mediocre or poor scores)

However, some of ANN's reviews do make some unfair stabs at people who enjoy series like this. So rabble makes a fair point.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and on an odd point. The shows that score low and contain stabs in the reviews are often advertised for or are featured in advertisements on ANN =)
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
rabble wrote:
[
Quote:
making it one piece of mindless fluff that is best enjoyed by a specific kind of person. ... Someone who doesn't mind their intelligence being insulted on a regular basis (not thinking is actually a requirement for enjoying the show).

"Not thinking" or "mind[ing]...intelligence being insulted on a regular basis" is a requirement for enjoying Spriggan, too, and I love watching that movie. Acknowledging that you have to turn off your brain to enjoy a piece of entertainment doesn't make its fans morons.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
And not finding the transformation (or anything sexual or whatnot regarding Valkyries smaller form) repugnant doesn't mean you have to particularly like it or find it titillating.

The review did not say the viewers had to be pedophiles or idiots, just that they can't let nekkid little girls bother them and can't let actually thinking about things get in the way.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The review did not say the viewers had to be pedophiles or idiots, just that they can't let nekkid little girls bother them and can't let actually thinking about things get in the way.

In a lot of cases it is the particular wording that hurts more than the idea. The term from another review, "pedolicious", will stick with me forever. It's a loaded term, and it's intellectually empty. You might as well try an make the case that a random anime is bad "because it's stupid".

To a certain type of fan who likes a certain type of anime, those kinds of comments must be cute and funny. That would explain why they pop up so often. To a person like me who has a different taste in anime, it's just a cheap shot.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
"Pedolicious" is one thing, but...if you're going to let every little wording bother you, you're probably going to have difficulties getting into conversations without SOMETHING offending you. I don't think there's anything wrong with the way the review is worded--although, admittedly, I'm not a big fanservice person. (I do enjoy 'mindless' comedies at times, though.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
you're probably going to have difficulties getting into conversations without SOMETHING offending you

In a way, you are right. That's why only 20-some of my 850 posts on this board were made this year. (And probably half of them were to argue the topic currently at hand, rather than being about anything I have an emotional investment in.) The thing is, the nasty comments happen frequently. "Pedolicious" one place, "avoid like the plague" in the first Valkyrie review, "creepy subtext" in this one...

There are other big anime boards where I don't have to take that constantly.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
rabble wrote:
Zac wrote:
rabble wrote:

Gee Zac, I said "all the reviews on ANN of anime that have fanservice", since I have yet to see one that doesn't include statements like the following. I think:
Quote:
Someone who isn't bothered by creepy subtexts (Kazuto and little Valkyrie's undefined relationship being the primary one). ... Someone who doesn't find little Valkyrie's needlessly explicit transformation into big Valkyrie hair-raisingly unpleasant.."

makes it pretty explicit that ANN believes this panders to the pedo crowd. And
Quote:

But, considering the way you handled the Nymphet fiasco, I wouldn't expect someone like you to be able to see it.

The Nymphet debate is still being discussed? I just want to forget about that debate and move on, so that I can read more Answerman.

I hope Zac will keep his promise about fansubs being the next issue for the upcoming Answerman column.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
In a way, you are right. That's why only 20-some of my 850 posts on this board were made this year. (And probably half of them were to argue the topic currently at hand, rather than being about anything I have an emotional investment in.) The thing is, the nasty comments happen frequently. "Pedolicious" one place, "avoid like the plague" in the first Valkyrie review, "creepy subtext" in this one...

There are other big anime boards where I don't have to take that constantly.

What you have to realize is that the review is simply the reviewer's opinion. They'll try to be objective, of course, but it's always going to depend on a reviewer's tastes. Of the terms you mentioned, only 'pedolicious' really feels THAT out of hand to me--if the reviewer really felt the series wasn't good, then "avoid like the plague" is fine, and if the reviewer does find the subtext creepy, there's no reason why he can't say it. If it REALLY feels that insulting to you, maybe you just need to stop reading reviews in general.

As for the other anime boards, then why do you keep coming back here? It really seems like you're only here because you like arguing with people here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
rabble wrote:

Did you actually go through and read all of our reviews? I'm impressed!

Quote:

makes it pretty explicit that ANN believes this panders to the pedo crowd.

I'm not really sure that's what Carl is saying, since he admits to enjoying it himself, unless you think he's implicating himself in his comment.

Furthermore, it's just one person's opinion.

Quote:

Is this supposed to be some kind of an insult or a dig?
Himalayus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
For the record, all of the qualifications for Valkyrie fans I mentioned in the review apply to myself. Zac is dead on when he says that I obviously find this to be a guilty pleasure (the reason why I disliked the second season was because it removed the "pleasure" from my guilty pleasure). My list of qualifications for fanhood was intended more as a warning about the content and limitations of the series for people who would take issue with such things than as a wholesale attack on people who like fan-service. I watch this series with my brother on occasion, and whenever little Valkyrie transforms, he literally leaves the room; I thought it only fair to give warning to other like-minded people. Me on the other hand... I consider myself a fan (of sorts) of the series; a C+ isn't a stellar grade of course, but it does mean that I liked it more than I disliked it, and why else would I be watching it into the third season?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1