• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saiyuiki Burial OVAs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
This has been out for a little while now, I think since April, but it was seriously a bitch to get a hold of. So I'm going to bring it up now, being that I haven't seen any threads about it yet. If there was one, I'm sorry, go ahead and kill this one.

First off, let me say that I'm a die-hard Kazuya Minekura fanatic. I have nearly everything she has produced, including anime, manga, art books, drama CDs, calendars, wall scrolls, and figurines. Her most well-known anime/manga is Saiyuki, and it has a HUGE cult-like following. I'll admit that I'm one of the raging fan girls of Saiyuki; it's my favorite anime and manga of all time.

Anyways, Minekura-sensei doesn't seem to have any interest in finishing Saiyuki's story line any time soon. The manga is still going strong. So, probably for the purpose of keeping the fans squealing, she released three OVAs based on a few side chapters in the Saiyuki Reload series. The Burial chapters in the manga is the "pre-journey" days of the characters. It ventures into how Sanzo lived his depressing life before becoming head monk at Chang'An, what happened when Goku first came to Chang'An, how Ukoku/Nii Jenyi became a Sanzo Houshi himself, and a brief look into how Gojyo and Hakkai became friends. The Saiyuki Burial OVAs only touched two of the burials, the one about Ukoku, and the one about Sanzo.

Well, suffice to say, I'm amazingly happy that there are finally new episodes of Saiyuki, even if it is only 3 of them. But at the same time, I'm pretty upset that they didn't animate the other OVAs. I would have LOVED to see little chibi-Goku going on his first rampage. Ah well, I guess they only animated the Burials that were story-line important.

So ya, has anyone else gotten their hands on this DVD? Any other die-hard Minekura-sensei fans out there?
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote
Sarene wrote:
Anyways, Minekura-sensei doesn't seem to have any interest in finishing Saiyuki's story line any time soon.

I haven't heard of these OVA at all, so thanks for mentioning them, I can look for them...not really hard, however I will watch if they ever become rentable at Netflix.

I used to like the anime for Saiyuki, I started buying it, however the second season started killing it. That and the never ending thing. Seriously, whats the journey without an end?

I am sure you have heard complaints galore from people if you are a big fan about the second season, where pretty much everything changed. The dub work I loved in the first was gone as it changed complanies and I had to switch to sub. Not the end of the world, but not fun. The way it was handled though was the real killer. Suddenly, it was common for characters to look completely off, to the point you wondered if they were the same. Continuity checks were done by monkeys, and all the "pretty" animation was gone, instead looking much cheaper. The wonderful theme music was also gone, which was another huge disappointment. All-in-all teh series started to go from "I can't wait to see what happens next" to "I wish it would end soon"...but sadly it doesn't.

I had started to get the manga for this, however had stopped fairly early when I saw the anime followed it so closely I saw no reason for both. I liked the series enough to at one point search out all of Kazuya Minekura works, reading what I could on-line and such (she seems to draw the same characters in each story it seems) however I am not as big a fan as you.

I wish the story would wrap up and end, it seems to have lost steam, going from some wonderful emotionally charged/angst driven characters and plot, to simply trying to conjure or manufacture emotions/angst that isn't there with where the story is now, which is going nowhere. How far west can you go till you are east?

That's just my complaint.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing the OVAs. I like learning the side stories.

I just finished vol. 7 of Gunlock. I will say that I did enjoy the whole Hazel/Gato storyline. It certainly was interesting. Hazel certainly spoiler[wasn't wrapped too tight even before he learned that he was a monster.]

But, I do have to say that this series is beginning to piss me off. And piss me off in an Inu Yasha ending sort of way. After all, there have been 100+ epiosodes and, so far, they are nowhere near spoiler[kicking the asses of that bitch Gyokumen Koushu and that psycho Ni Jenyi. Well, actually, I'd like Kougaiji or Lirin or Koujagiji's Mother butt kick the former. Sanzo and crew can do the latter.] But I would just really like to see them ARRIVE!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1