• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo to purchase 2.6% of Bandai

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:02 pm Reply with quote
If Nintendo bought Bandai, I doubt they'd want to make games only for their company, when they could make three times as much money selling to MS and Sony. And Nintendo's quality programmers would help make Bandai games worth playing.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Kalium wrote:
Hm.... Anime-type games.... Oni, anyone? Or perhaps Orphen?

I would say, more along the lines of...
Makai Senki Disgaea (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness)
Ultimate Saga (I still have to play that...)
Braves and Venus (not brought over here ... yet?)

etc.

games that have no specific anime associated with them, but use stylized graphics and characters that many would associate with "anime".

Emerje wrote:
Very few have made it outside of japan, but several popular anime have had games made for them as far back as the NES days, maybe even further.

It's really hard to tell what was anime-related and what wasn't, back during the pre-NES days, because everything looked the same -- red block, blue block, green block... ;)

Dragon Power was one of the first, for the NES. that was the first DB game released... i remember playing it, but getting beaten in the 2nd stage. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I was thinking. If Nintendo bought out Bandai, does anyone think they'd edit all the anime Bandai released here?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:12 am Reply with quote
Nope... Bandai never bothered with too explicit anime in the North American market. There's no hentai sub-label. Considering that the American branch Bandai does know, more or less, what the market wants, which would be no edits on DVDs (except on those occasions where the Japanese parent company won't let them use the Japanese language track), I've no fear whatsoever that they'd start implementing cuts under Nintendo control, not that Nintendo owns all that much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:58 pm Reply with quote
SkullKnight wrote:
I"m a nintendo loyalist

You might like this site

http://www.planetgamecube.com/
vermillion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:10 pm Reply with quote
If Nintendo purchased Bandai, I would hope they would play it smart and just keep things the way they are, but I swear I will RAISE HELL if I see Zeta gundam in an updated version of Smash Bros.
Coarse Limely

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I've always been the biggest Nintendo fan around, and I'd love to see a full lineup of Bandai titles made into Nintendo games. Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop chiefly among them. Gundam's getting plenty of exposure nowadays, at least. Can't wait to see more on the GAMECUBE version of the One Year War.
Koumi addict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:12 am Reply with quote
Nintendo = PRUDES.
Why? It has the least amount of M-rated games!

Seriously, I would see of it as "I'm taking you along with me in my downfall" situation, along with a gloom ending.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:36 am Reply with quote
I'm one of the few people already bored by Resident Evil(cus Capcom is *gasp* bad with sequels) , and GTA is ok if you like mini-games, but I want a story. Although I'll admit Nintendo annoyed the hell out of me by calling ciagrettes "foggers" in the GBC MGS.
LordShishio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why? It has the least amount of M-rated games!

Is that all you look for in games?
Anyway if Bandai and Nintendo merged i'd like them to get a new name Bantendo!
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:56 am Reply with quote
LordShishio wrote:
Anyway if Bandai and Nintendo merged i'd like them to get a new name Bantendo!

Or 'Nintendai.' Laughing
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I did get kind of get bored with resident evil. RE zero was only fun because you can drop and pickup items anywhere. If they rethink the gameplay of RE4 it will be fun again.

Your right about the M rated games. but the ones they do make are cream of the crop IMO. Eternal Darkness was soooo underrated.

GTA sure its fun but its nothing new.

Nintendo may become more of a niche market. Treasure made a game called Ikaruga which is a classic shooter, you woulnd't see that on any other console. Seems alot of gamers are getting attention spans of a nat. Nintendo themselves said they'd rather make inventive games rather than rehash games.
But whats really sad is the pulling of third party support. NObody wants to make games for N.

Nintendo seems to be doing alot of remakes anybody notice that. First it was Resident Evil, now there redoing Metal Gear solid (which I"m eagerly anticipating) and Sword of Mana, which is a remake of the gameboy game Final Fantasy Adventure.

The future is uncertain that's for sure, but I don't see the purchase of bandai really going anywhere. Its more of a stabilizer for Nintendo I think.
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Skullknight wrote:
NObody wants to make games for N.

It's ashame really, but Nintendo almost deserves its disgraceful demise.

GATSU wrote:
Although I'll admit Nintendo annoyed the hell out of me by calling ciagrettes "foggers" in the GBC MGS.

And that's why.
Koumi addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:57 pm Reply with quote
#1Evafan wrote:
Skullknight wrote:
NObody wants to make games for N.

It's ashame really, but Nintendo almost deserves its disgraceful demise.

GATSU wrote:
Although I'll admit Nintendo annoyed the hell out of me by calling ciagrettes "foggers" in the GBC MGS.

And that's why.

Wow, extra evidences that Nintendo's PRUDEry will eventually destroy Nintendo itself!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2