• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, September 5-11

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
százlábú

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Eyecandy. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Exorcist is really raping the charts x-x with the nearly all it's volumes up there
Aara123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Inform, oh great economists of the interwebs. Why are some volumes more expensive than others even though they're practically all from the same publisher? like in the US, all VIZ volumes are the same price (excluding the 3-in-1 volumes and stuff like that)
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Aara123 wrote:
Inform, oh great economists of the interwebs. Why are some volumes more expensive than others even though they're practically all from the same publisher? like in the US, all VIZ volumes are the same price (excluding the 3-in-1 volumes and stuff like that)

well most Shueisha products are of a similar pirce (Y420/460) and among other publishers and series, i'd guess that 3 things play a large role in pricing:
popularity - more popular series can be sold cheaper as more units are sold
size of publisher - smaller publishers generate less sales, so need more expensive products to get the necessary revenue to stay afloat
length of series - long series like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Gintama etc. can be sold cheaper because they continously accumulate fans, gaining popularity all the time, whereas shorter series (Usagi Drop - 9 volumes, for example) tend to have short term popularity, then sales drop off shortly after the final volume, so they try to get as much money as they can from a shorter series before it ends and they lose its revenue

im sure other factors effect the price of volumes, but these 3 seem to generally influence almost all products in the world, so they probably have a large influence here

as for all Viz volumes being the same price, in the UK, prices do vary quite alot here, e.g.
Naruto vol. 10 = $3.94
Naruto vol. 12 = $8.18
Usagi Drop vol. 2 = $10.19

so can't give any reason why they'd be same prices in the US, its nothing like that here (i did convert the prices, figured more US people will read this so made it easier 4 everyone)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1