Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon 2002: Parent's Guide to Anime


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7251
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Hello to everyone,
I'm not new here, but this is my first posting in this Talkback forum.
Please forgive me for bringing this one back up but I could not find it in the back pages, and I just couldn't let it lay. I know this is an old thread but after just reading the list of "titles for young children" I found no less than three that are individually recommended for "older children", or "teenagers" because of their content of "some bad language, bloody, (or bloodless,) violence, and/or nudity". To which I said, "oops! someone didn't do their homework here." It sort of made a mockery of Mr. Poitras attempt to alleviate parents worries IMHO. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cassandra



Joined: 13 May 2002
Posts: 1356
Location: Birdsboro, PA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Since I was on the 2003 panel with Pete Prellwitz, I'll try to respond to this Anime smile

The goal is to get parents to screen the anime before letting their kids watch it. I would have no problem showing Magic Knights Rayearth to my child when she's a little older. (She's only 19 months right now.) Just because there is mild violence in a show doesn't mean we need to shield children from watching it. (Along the same lines...some people don't mind their children hearing bad words or seeing nudity.)

That list isn't meant to say "all parents should show this to their children." It's meant to say "here is a guideline for you...if you don't mind your children hearing a bad word or two, this may work for you."

We (the panelists) aren't there to dictate what you (the parent) should or shouldn't show your children. We are there to show you how you can select content that you think is appropriate for your children to watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie



Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Posts: 577
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hello to everyone,
I found no less than three that are individually recommended for "older children", or "teenagers" because of their content of "some bad language, bloody, (or bloodless,) violence, and/or nudity". To which I said, "oops! someone didn't do their homework here." It sort of made a mockery of Mr. Poitras attempt to alleviate parents worries IMHO. Rolling Eyes


Actually, that's quite a serious charge. So you're saying that the studios put teenage ratings on them but this book lists them as children shows? What were the three titles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Cassandra



Joined: 13 May 2002
Posts: 1356
Location: Birdsboro, PA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:32 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hello to everyone,
I found no less than three that are individually recommended for "older children", or "teenagers" because of their content of "some bad language, bloody, (or bloodless,) violence, and/or nudity". To which I said, "oops! someone didn't do their homework here." It sort of made a mockery of Mr. Poitras attempt to alleviate parents worries IMHO. Rolling Eyes


Actually, that's quite a serious charge. So you're saying that the studios put teenage ratings on them but this book lists them as children shows? What were the three titles?


It's not a book. It was a panel that was done at Otakon 2002.
animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=2369
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie



Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Posts: 577
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:44 am Reply with quote
2002 ehh. Seems like a century ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7251
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That list isn't meant to say "all parents should show this to their children." It's meant to say "here is a guideline for you...if you don't mind your children hearing a bad word or two, this may work for you."


Unfortunately that's not the way it's written though, is it? And what responsible parent would in the first place?

Quote:
"Unfortunately, there is very little anime produced for children less than 2 years old. Even child-safe titles like Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro might be frightening or confusing to very young children. Around age 6, however, many more titles exist that parents will find more suitable for their children.

Some of the titles mentioned for young children include:
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Card Captor Sakura
Magic Knight Rayearth
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Fancy Lala
Campus Detective
Sailor Moon

As children grow up, other titles like these may become more acceptable:
Oh! My Goddess
Kodomo no Omocha
Marmalade Boy"


This suggests these have been researched as safe for young children starting at least at 6-years-old to me.

The dodgey titles are Magic Knight Rayearth, Irresponsible Captain Tylor (the one listed for teenagers and up only), and Sailor Moon. Obviously these should have been listed in the latter. Don't you think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cassandra



Joined: 13 May 2002
Posts: 1356
Location: Birdsboro, PA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
That list isn't meant to say "all parents should show this to their children." It's meant to say "here is a guideline for you...if you don't mind your children hearing a bad word or two, this may work for you."


Unfortunately that's not the way it's written though, is it? And what responsible parent would in the first place?

As a note....that was a panel write up, not a word for word transcript of the panel. Just because it's written that way doesn't mean that's how it was stated at the panel.

Quote:

Quote:
"Unfortunately, there is very little anime produced for children less than 2 years old. Even child-safe titles like Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro might be frightening or confusing to very young children. Around age 6, however, many more titles exist that parents will find more suitable for their children.

Some of the titles mentioned for young children include:
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Card Captor Sakura
Magic Knight Rayearth
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Fancy Lala
Campus Detective
Sailor Moon

As children grow up, other titles like these may become more acceptable:
Oh! My Goddess
Kodomo no Omocha
Marmalade Boy"


This suggests these have been researched as safe for young children starting at least at 6-years-old to me.

The dodgey titles are Magic Knight Rayearth, Irresponsible Captain Tylor (the one listed for teenagers and up only), and Sailor Moon. Obviously these should have been listed in the latter. Don't you think?


Not at all. I show my 19 month old Sailor Moon. (Not Stars...simply because I don't have it available in a format she can watch.) There isn't anything in Sailor Moon that isn't suitable for her.
And the important part is "parents will find." Even though it's not mentioned in the write-up, I know that Pete explicitly states that parents need to screen what they show their kids BEFORE they show it to their kids. (As a note, Pete is a little more strict on what he shows his kids than I am with mine.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7251
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
That list isn't meant to say "all parents should show this to their children." It's meant to say "here is a guideline for you...if you don't mind your children hearing a bad word or two, this may work for you."


Unfortunately that's not the way it's written though, is it? And what responsible parent would in the first place?

[qoute]As a note....that was a panel write up, not a word for word transcript of the panel. Just because it's written that way doesn't mean that's how it was stated at the panel.
Note taken, but I think your missing the point here. It's not the reason it was written, it's the way it was written.


Quote:
"Unfortunately, there is very little anime produced for children less than 2 years old. Even child-safe titles like Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro might be frightening or confusing to very young children. Around age 6, however, many more titles exist that parents will find more suitable for their children.

Some of the titles mentioned for young children include:
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Card Captor Sakura
Magic Knight Rayearth
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Fancy Lala
Campus Detective
Sailor Moon

As children grow up, other titles like these may become more acceptable:
Oh! My Goddess
Kodomo no Omocha
Marmalade Boy"


Quote:
This suggests these have been researched as safe for young children starting at least at 6-years-old to me.

The dodgey titles are Magic Knight Rayearth, Irresponsible Captain Tylor (the one listed for teenagers and up only), and Sailor Moon. Obviously these should have been listed in the latter. Don't you think?


Quote:
Not at all. I show my 19 month old Sailor Moon. (Not Stars...simply because I don't have it available in a format she can watch.) There isn't anything in Sailor Moon that isn't suitable for her.
And the important part is "parents will find." Even though it's not mentioned in the write-up, I know that Pete explicitly states that parents need to screen what they show their kids BEFORE they show it to their kids. (As a note, Pete is a little more strict on what he shows his kids than I am with mine.)

What you show your child is of course your own business, but being a parent to two lovely children, a boy who is now 11-years-old, and a girl who is now 9-years-old. I can suggest that your 19-month old would probably enjoy TeleTubbies, or Seseme St. more than Queen Beryl and the Negaforce. but I digress here. My point is that if a parent like myself can come to the conclusion that a big mistake was made in that list then others will too. My point is it should have been edited better. and corrections made. Yes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cassandra



Joined: 13 May 2002
Posts: 1356
Location: Birdsboro, PA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Note taken, but I think your missing the point here. It's not the reason it was written, it's the way it was written.

That's what I am saying. It wasn't the panelists that did that write up. It was someone attending the panel (who I will assume took notes). It could have come across totally different AT the panel.


Quote:

What you show your child is of course your own business, but being a parent to two lovely children, a boy who is now 11-years-old, and a girl who is now 9-years-old. I can suggest that your 19-month old would probably enjoy TeleTubbies, or Seseme St. more than Queen Beryl and the Negaforce. but I digress here. My point is that if a parent like myself can come to the conclusion that a big mistake was made in that list then others will too. My point is it should have been edited better. and corrections made. Yes?


Again, not at all. My daughter watches both Teletubbies and Sesame Street and she still enjoys watching Sailor Moon and My Neighbor Totoro and Hello Kitty.
My point is that there is no real mistake in the list. The panelist most likely said that this was a starting list for parents to check out to possibly show their children. Not a "You must show this" list. Perhaps you wouldn't show those titles to your children, but I have no problems with it. THAT is the point of the panel. To prove that there is a wide selection of titles that parents can choose from....as long as they screen it first to make sure it conforms to their set of standards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie



Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Posts: 577
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:04 pm Reply with quote
If this was just a panel and no papers or anything were published on this, I don't think any errors or discrepencies are going to have a lasting effect on parents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
cookie
Old Regular


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 2452
Location: PA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:07 pm Reply with quote
i was the author of that piece, btw.

yes, i see your point, that the preceeding paragraph does imply that the list of titles would be acceptable for 6 year olds, while that list wasn't explicitly stated as being acceptable for any given age range (as near as i can remember).

oops. oh well. it shouldn't be taken as an absolute anyway, no more than the trip to japan panel (also from otakon 2002).

the single best resource for parents that i'm aware of (and should've linked in there) is: http://www.abcb.com/​parents/​
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra



Joined: 13 May 2002
Posts: 1356
Location: Birdsboro, PA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Okie Cookie Anime smile I didn't want my point to sound like I think you made it up or anything. I'm sure the guys listed off some 'family friendly' titles without really using age groups. (I know that in the 2003 panel, we didn't really say 'kids over 6 should watch this.') Most likely the point was just that there isn't much for very little children but as they get older, there is a greater selection of titles for parents to choose from.

Considering we're talking about a panel that is well over a year old and a panel that is held every year at Otakon, I don't know why this is even being discussed. The panelists change every year (Pete is the only panelist that has remained on the panel over the years) so the opinions change every year. While there are things that are pretty 'absolute' (meaning: children shouldn't watch hentai or extreme graphic violence), there are things that aren't (what age a parent thinks their child can watch minor violence).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie



Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Posts: 577
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
i was the author of that piece, btw.


Embarassed

Actually, I wasn't thinking that the author of the article was the problem but the panel and the titles they chose to address. I mean, if you're talking about titles for children graduating from Pokemon, obviously Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Kodomo no Omocha have no busness being there at all. (Sure, I enjoyed the manga of Kodocha but it's not like I want my kids knowing what a gigilo is.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Cassandra



Joined: 13 May 2002
Posts: 1356
Location: Birdsboro, PA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:36 pm Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
(Sure, I enjoyed the manga of Kodocha but it's not like I want my kids knowing what a gigilo is.)


Not to burst your bubble...but studies are showing that children are becoming sexally active at a much younger age (like middle school). So chances are, they would know what a gigolo is and you just don't know it Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 3794

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
molloaggie wrote:
(Sure, I enjoyed the manga of Kodocha but it's not like I want my kids knowing what a gigilo is.)


Not to burst your bubble...but studies are showing that children are becoming sexally active at a much younger age (like middle school). So chances are, they would know what a gigolo is and you just don't know it Wink


Out of curiosity, did Japanese kids already got to that point of becoming sexually active? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group