• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing Ultimate (OAV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
2700 yen.

I like CDs, too. I bought most of what Geneon U.S.A. released for the soundtracks I really, really liked. And Right Stuf has a few more that interest me (really want to get the GUNXSWORD OSTs). I'm just unemployed right now... But seriously, I bet with the remaining 6 volumes or so, one of them is bound to include the OST. No point in importing it now, then finding out you could've saved some money in the process.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
It may not be that great of quality but here's a trailer for V.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=UWkX2qDxPSw

Looks consistent enough.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Mm.. looks great. There doesn't look to be a single drop in quality. Heck, it might even be better than Satelite. And it comes out this month? Not to mention this is when the whole bloody, bloody war starts. The switch to Madhouse (who excels in animated violence) was a good choice.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
All right, I just bought the first volume and even though I was excited for the 5th volume coming out, I must admit that I hadn't watched a full episode of this OVA series before today. Laughing

I thought it was great adaptation of the manga, and it also came with the same faults that the first volume of the manga had. Chopped and screw storytelling and some badly placed humor. Other than that, it was loads better than the TV series. Great animation in the fight scenes (though, it had some pretty choppy animation in some other scenes) and the full out carnage that was the author's intent. The BGM was okay, but I really like the ending song. I definitely prefer opera than the ending song in the TV series, though that one wasn't that bad.

It had some foreshadowing as well, and the extras disc had some spoilers in the Young Ours Trailer if one hasn't read the manga (like me Razz), but it's all good. Looking forward to part 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Well with Satelight being confirmed to be working on a Macross Frontier movie I guess this settles why they stopped doing Hellsing Ultimate.
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing OVA 5 this month? Awesome! I really enjoyed the first 4, can't wait to see where the 5th takes us. Now if only I could find a decent version of the trailer...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be ordering Hellsing 4 soon, I can't wait to see how the English dub will do, especially since it's intact thanks to Funi. I'm also glad to know that with Funi picking it up they aren't having any problems continuing the series in Japan.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Cool, glad to know 5 is actually a go, now we're getting to the good stuff. Twisted Evil
starty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
somebody know the official release date for V and the others OAVs? why the hell take so long made that anime? also, the manga is already over... Rolling Eyes
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode V is due on the 24th of this month (look at the trailer posted towards the top of this page).

Concerning the time, it's because this is an OAV, meaning the production company can take as long as they want since the anime goes straight to video and doesn't have time constraints like a TV series. With that time, they can smooth out the animation, edit/cleanup any inconsistencies, etc. You know, so we can actually get a good product.

On average, it's taking roughly 6 months to do one episode of Ultimate. That's certainly better than Hirano taking a whole year (or more) for just one volume of the manga.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Now that we're finally into it a bit more than just 1 or 2 episodes I can't decide if I want to dive in or not..

I loved the Tv series. Now, being a bit more judging of animation quality much more than I first watched it and having experienced a lot more anime since then it might not be the greatest thing ever anymore. But, Hellsing is one of the truly few vampire pieces I've ever seen where the vampire is SCARY. He loves blood, he loves killing, he has guns for seemingly fun since he does NOT need them most of the time. I get so sick of wimpy vampire in other tv shows and movies.

Another thing that is holding me back is then the wait for it to be dubbed because I pretty much only want to watch Hellsing in english.

Reading a bit back into the thread(which is actually something like a year+ heh), and you said that an episode goes through about 1 volume's worth of manga, Tony, and so(barring an early cancelling of the Ultimate series) it should be around 10 episodes long. Is this pretty much a good estimate still?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Correct, Vortex. Of all the episodes made so far (up to IV), it's not quite a panel for panel storyboard, but it's essentially one whole volume with maybe a little bit of the next, just so they don't leave you on a total cliffhanger like a TV series might. A brief example: spoiler[ Volume III has Alucard kill Tabulcain at the end, instead of the beginning of IV like the manga.]

But other than some minor writing liberties, I can guarantee you'll love the OAV for its production values alone. The art is sleek, the animation is fluid, and voice acting is stellar in both languages. The English crew has more experience now thanks to the first run of the TV series, so it's much more convincing this time around. If you end up watching a fansub here and there and can tolerate some Engrish, the Japanese cast is also pretty fun, in particular Alucard (Nakata Jouji can sound sooo menacing) and Anderson (this time replaced by Wakamoto Norio, who sounds pretty crazy if you're familiar with his work).

However, you may need to listen to the soundtrack a few times by itself or within the anime for it to sink in over the old grunge rock score of the TV series. It's much more modern with lot of different styles mixed in such as rock, techno, synth, pop, a few hip-hop beats, and even some classical for the seriously dramatic parts, but it all melds together pretty well when you get used to the overall transition.
takachsh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Does it look good that we will see Hellsing OVA 5 here in north america next year from funimation/geneon?
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I hope so!

So I would guess that they did make another episode? I have not heard anybody mention that they did. I thought they were supposed to be "shopping around" for someone to animate the next episode(s).

BTW any guess on how many episodes this show will be in total?
Cause it is not quite following the manga volumes, it seems to be doing about 1 1/2 to 2 volumes (or so) of the manga.

BTW if they don't get Crispin Freeman (and the rest of the cast) back for the AWESOME dub, I will seriously go and "Rip Van Winkle" them.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Madhouse is taking over.

The manga has 10 volumes and is confirmed to end at that by Hirano, HU so far has 4 episodes (I have yet to see a torrent for 5 anywhere). The animated version is slightly ahead by a volume as episode 3 animated some stuff that took place in volume 4 of the manga and episode 4 goes into 5 I think. I'd say it'll probabally end somewhere in the 8-10 range.

Episode 4 has already come out and yes Krispy and the original cast were in it. No reason they would't be in 5 too when it comes out, and it will come out, yes, since Funimation now has the liscense to it. As to when that up to Funi
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8