• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kasimasi Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
When the press release says (in not so many words) "We're hatiusing Gaogaigar for Voltro. PS: no dub after we're done serving the dark lord Golion." Gears click and they do indeed make a loud clicking sound.

Regardless, the underlinging Point is they've lost a sale from me.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Finally got to sit down and watch this volume, and I was mightily impressed with how accurately it captured the story, tone, and (most importantly) spirit of the source manga, as well as the girly-vs.-tomboy contrast between Yasuna and Tomari. The artificiality of Yasuna's gimmick doesn't bother me at all because of how naturally and delicately events play out, although the teacher, I'll agree, is every bit as annoying as in the manga.

And I'm immensely grateful that Anime Works did put episode 5 on this release. It allows the first DVD volume to perfectly duplicate the circular storytelling feel of the first manga volume.

This could be one of the year's best romantic series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching the first volume as well. This is definitely not going to be a huge seller, but I enjoyed it. I think I read that the industry has problems supporting non A list titles. Popular titles can afford to include nice booklets, extras on the DVD and DTS encoded audio for standard DVD prices due to high sales. I would really like to see how many copies of a title like GaoGaiGar sells per volume. I recently bought the big Saber Marionette box set from TRSI's clearance section which is actually signed and numbered #91out of (hard to read hand writing) 5000. TRSI had to sell this $200 box set for less than a third of it's MSRP in order to get people to buy this set. I often wonder if some of these titles even break the four digit mark in sales. With this in mind it seems almost silly to spend the extra money on a dub. BVUSA not giving something as popular as Gunbuster 2 a dub on the other hand seems rather silly.

One thing that bothered me about the Japanese track is the fact that the three girls seem to have very similar voices! Most shows with a female ensemble utilize a nice range like the classic Bubblegum Crisis where you can even tell who is singing which part in their songs. In Azumanga Chiyo, Sakaki, and Kagura (I'm a big Kuwashima fan) have very different sounding voices. The best part of Sailor Moon is their all star voice actor lineup. In contrast the girls in Kasimasi all had the same very young (slightly nasally ) girl sound to their voice. It was weird that even their normal voices in their interviews sounded similar.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is definitely not going to be a huge seller, but I enjoyed it.

Maybe not 'huge' but according to an excerpt from a transcript posted on AoD, MediaBlasters seems rather happy with how its doing.
anonymus4areason

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
I bought this title and have enjoyed it quite a bit. I dont find the teacher to be annoying at all but quite humorous. I do have to agree with all the girls sound the same. I wished they would have kept the japanese titles, you can hear them but not see them in the subtitles like yusana-chan tomari calls her while hazumu only calls her yusana if i rember correctly (saw a fan subbed online first) and then could distinguish who was talking.

This is one anime that got me into anime, so im glad it came here, and the only sub version, doesnt bother me too much as it is what i saw it in first. The setup for hazumu becoming a girl is quite rediculous as my non anime fan friend keeps telling me everytime i see him. But still an amazing title. As for selling well the 3 of the 5 best buys were sold out and i got the last one at the 4th making that one sold out too.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes so far, and I have to say, I like it! I wasn't sure, since it's a shoujo-ai title (I'm a shounen-ai fan, myself), and was afraid the fanservice would be a bit much, but so far the fanservice is explainable (like when they go shopping for bras; naturally a guy's going to be confused at buying one). It's cute, and funny, and hopefully I can convince my friends to watch it, too. The parents are weird, and so's the teacher, but I like all the friends.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I watched the first two episodes so far, and I have to say, I like it! I wasn't sure, since it's a shoujo-ai title (I'm a shounen-ai fan, myself), and was afraid the fanservice would be a bit much, but so far the fanservice is explainable (like when they go shopping for bras; naturally a guy's going to be confused at buying one).

I thought the same thing about the fan service, hence why it took me a bit of time to finally watch the DVD. I've often found Dengeki Daioh (considered Seinin I believe) titles (like Azumanga and Figure 17) don't seem to be aimed specifically towards males as much as a publisher like Jump or Sunday titles. I found Futaba and Ranma often were silly and in poor taste compared to Kasimasi.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I read the first volume of the manga, and I gotta say... while the questions about the concept of romance was a little interesting, the setup does come across as a little ridiculous (if not... very).

And, you know, that other chick's "sickness" was just... yeah...

Actually, there was an article in the newspaper just yesterday about a little-understood but very real selective developmental condition called prosopagnosia, which is often referred to as "face blindness." Why and how it happens is currently a medical mystery, but those who suffer from it are unable to identify people by their faces, and those with the more severe cases even have trouble discerning faces. Yasuna's version of it may be more selective than the norm, but no longer sounds as far-fetched in light of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't hide the fact that it feels really tacked on though...

But yeah, who knows?

All I know is that I really liked the show; can't wait for the next disc.

Oh, and the spaceship is apparently really grabby.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4