• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Symphonia.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote
Tales of Symphonia

Not going to spoiler tag the thread...

Episode 1 of the epic masterpiece of a game came out and it was pretty damn good.

The animation is top notch and the music is good.

Colette is cute....I mean CUTE, like cuter than I thought she could ever be, and I mean look, attitude, way of doing things....just cute, If I was cute and had a cute house with cute family members and cute pets with cute bow ties, and my cute next door neighbor cutely strolled over with her cute daughter and cute dolls to play with very cute-like on my cute porch on a cute island well Cutethulhu plays with girls in tea parties in very cute cups, THAT would be how cute she is, except a little more and I love her hair.

Kratos is silent this episode, they only covered up to the village attack in this one so they didn't go too far into the game, BUT we saw a little of his power and he's damn powerful

Genis was here but like the game, he's pushed aside too much, he got to do ONE attack and it looked cool, but then he was useless and looked sadder than Lloyd did when he was leftin the dust. His sister was a loser in the game and will be in here too, no j/k but she was just the teacher this time around, no attacks or anything and not much important dialogue from her.

Lloyd was awesome, although the funniest part in this show was him holding off one guard when they came to kill Colette and his Exsphere activated, he posed for a litle too long, then BAM BAM BAM, guy dead....it was animated well but was too funny. Lloyds dad can rape some people with his hammer though, scary Dwarves. The power in this seems pretty big, with Lloyd being knocked a few hundred feet into a house with his fight in the village, can't wait.

The animation on the magic and attacks are good, just like Tales of Eternia, the fights were well done and kept to the games with the yelling of the attacks, but in real-time instead of stopping time to do it, But with better quality in it now. Like Fantasia but not quite there since Fantasia was like 2 or 3 episodes long while this should be awhile. So a little less money would be put into each episode.

Anyway, apart from the totally cliche story, that's always a problem for fantasy shows, it was pretty good, however most people who want to watch this are fans of the game so it won't matter anyway, it keeps close to the game and that's good, we have a little more insight into the thoughts of the characters as we go on this journey though so that's better and/or worse, I like it anyway.

So far so good, the animation is good, music is decent, I like the character design and have since the game.

HOWEVER the ONE big problem with this is, the ending video, for the love of god, they did the Coyote Ragtime show/Manabi Straight clay doll ending video and that needs to stop. I hate that and especially for a fantasy show, it's really stupid looking.....geez that angered me more than I wanted.

Anyway, watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow Colette is cute Shocked not like the some other characters who seem to be "too cute for their own good", but man...they just got it right Smile I can see me getting more into the series and I'll probably read the manga later on. I'll hopefuly get the game later after the series has end. Indeed the quality of the show is great. Like all the character designs are cute, especially Colette Razz I LOL'd at the first battle segment of Lloyd, indeed he posed way too long. The opening theme, ending theme, bgm, etc were all pretty good and seemed to fit with the story. The claymation in the end is some-what weird. Like when Lloyd put out his hand, just freaky and out of proportion Shocked When I watched it I kind of got this "Final Fantasy X, Grandia, etc" vibe, probably because all those are RPGs with some "girlXboy" factors. Watching the show gives me a some-what nostalgic feeling Confused
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely absolutely LOVE this game. However, I actually hated Colette's character in the game very much and found her frustratingly annoying, but meh that's just me. Maybe I'll give this anime a try, I wonder if they are going to bring all of the characters into it. I hope they get into Presea/Regal's backstory. I have not really seen very many anime based on video games but both of the ones I have seen I have hated very much (Xenosaga and Star Ocean EX). In Xenosaga there were some inconsistencies but Star Ocean EX was absolutely atrocious and I have still never finished it. Hopefully Tales of Symphonia is much better.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes, damn finally!!! This game is probably one of the pinnacle's of my owning my gamecube. Very Happy For which I was treated with one of my favorite all time games(including Zelda: Ocarina of Time, yea). Colette *sigh* wow she is just so beautiful, and reminds of Belldandy; wasn't Kousuke Fujishima the character designer for Tales of Symphonia? That aside I'm definitely looking for the rest of the OVA's..though honestly I wish they would've done a series to really flesh out the story and get into their pasts(as mentioned Presea and Regal). As for the ED theme, heh, cute real cute(song not the claymation).
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the couple pics I've seen for this look great (LuckySleven's avatar, etc). I'll surely get this when it comes out domestically, though that may not be for a couple years.

There's also the fansub which I see all over the torrents. But to this day I've still never downloaded a single fansub, I don't think I should start now.

I liked Presea and Sheena the most, anyway. I hope they look good in the future episodes. I hope Sheena isn't drawn with lipstick, the way she is in the game sometimes (but not at other times).

And oh yeah, I hope they wear their swimsuits! (fat chance)
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Gawd I actually have a saved game of this but I'm stuck when you get into the kinda big tower. I've been able to clear everything before it...but bosses after that are impossible. The level progression is so stupid, I'm sure they made a mistake at some point and made up a too big step.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Are you talking about Yggdrasil and K*****? If so, you aren't actually supposed to beat them, you are supposed to lose and keep playing.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ya, just to for-warn you, don't use any items in that fight, just go all out with everything and see how long you can last. I almost had Kr**** down all the way teh 2nd time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
uh Embarassed

I don't really remember where I had gotten to since it's been so long that I played the darn game....I'd have to check where I was at and harass you guys with PMs to know what to do next Smile
Kisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
just watched the first episode it was brilliant what irked me though was that we didn't see what Anna looked sure we her legs and feet but thats about it i didn't like the ending animation the song was good though. i also liked how they rewrite the story without straying from the game too much and i loved the character designs i just loved the way it done. i just hope sheena, presea and the others show in later eps especially Martel they just to show her
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone catch Professor Kratos' Private Lesson? The begging was cute with spoiler[Colette throwing the special limited edition dvd at the cement wall then shatters to pieces like a glass plate.] Now that's not a way to treat those type of things Surprised unless it's like a free AOL disc that always comes in the mail Very Happy It's gives an some information about the current plot. I liked the ending but it could've lasted longer than 5 minutes.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
It was strange that Collete, after being so horribly on the game, was not the least aggravating. It took me a while to figure out, but it came down to this.

Collete is a moe character. The English localization+English voice actor did not do moe well. At all. Ever. Instead of being moe, she was pathetic.

So, in conclusion, moe=good; English localization of moe=meh.
ElementSun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
The entire series is going to be finished by Christmas, so that's about an episode every 2 months.

Episode 2 is being released on August 10th, and I'm so willing to bet its going to be about spoiler[the Seals up to the point of the Tower of Salvation, and then a cliffhanger ending <.<]

What i'm really excited to see is how the animators depict the amazing boss battles in ToS, spoiler[especially the fights with the spirit guardians at each seal. Will lloyd learn new attacks like how he does in the game. Will we see some nostalgic moves like sword rain (<3!), tempest, beast, and all of the sexy magic attacks Genis has?]

There's so much content in the game I find it hard to believe they can fit it all into 4 episodes =/
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Time to revive an old thread. It's too bad iwatch2muchanime is not here anymore. Now that I've seen this on fansubs (I decided to download fansubs because the R1 market has begun collapsing) I really agree with all iwatch2muchanime's assessments in the opening post. Especially that part about Lloyd's 3-swing attack, lol. It was like he was trying to remember or figure out his new special move for a second, and then "Yeah, I'm ready now, it goes like this. Forward+A --> Tiger Blade!" LOL

The directing, music, and production values for this show are awesome. Way better than I could ever have expected from a 4-episode videogame-based OAV series.

Now that it's over though, I wonder if this series is really over? Judging from the way the last episode was presented it definitely seemed to be the last episode at least for now. But the story ended up reaching the halfway point of the game and simply leaving the story unfinished. However, they also did so in a way that left the viewer feeling that this IS a reasonable end to a great show, and therefore now they must play the game to see the rest of the story (which unfortunately goes downhill somewhat). So...are they going to eventually make more or is that it? We never really got to see Presea boohoo...but Sheena was pretty awesomely drawn, and without lipstick hurray. The whole show was pretty awesomely drawn.
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
According to Wikipedia, that was just the first part of the series, there will be four more episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2