• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
More video game headlines than anime/manga. Why is that?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelyMag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
*Obligatory Disclaimer of Unintended Anger and/or Other Personal Feelings That may get Misconstrued**

I've recently noticed a surge in video game news on this site. I do understand that many people like games AND anime (myself included), but may I ask why there are so many video game headlines on an anime news website?
I've been on this site for a few years now, but I find it getting harder to scroll past game stuff just to get to anime news. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a report of a unique game coming stateside, because you've always supported that.

Coming into the fourth quarter, I am wondering if these video game news reports will spike further.

Again, just a question. I have no intention to start flame or rage.
I am like George, simply Curious.

Thank you! Smile
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
3 words: Tokyo Game Show.

If you look earlier in the year, you'll see there was a spike of VG-related articles during E3, too. Had it occurred this year, you would have seen a similar massive flood of anime announcements during TAF and such.

The news (and related news) is reported as it's available. During the world's biggest game show (for Japanese games, at least)l, the news is going to be VG-related.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you want pure news about anime and manga you can hit the News icon on the left of the headline. All of the Games articles get put into the "Interest" headings, unless it's about news that applies to both anime/manga and a game. Although that also takes out interest articles strictly about anime and manga too.

But the plan was to make highly customizable icons, correct? How is that coming along? It was many moons ago that ANN had the contest about creating the new icons but I haven't heard a thing about it since it concluded.... if it did conclude, I can't remember.

It would be nice if we could get to the point where we can sort by the subheadings of "anime","manga","games","novels","live action", etc.

How are those plans coming along?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
3 words: Tokyo Game Show.

If you look earlier in the year, you'll see there was a spike of VG-related articles during E3, too. Had it occurred this year, you would have seen a similar massive flood of anime announcements during TAF and such.

The news (and related news) is reported as it's available. During the world's biggest game show (for Japanese games, at least)l, the news is going to be VG-related.

This.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I should warn that I have no wish to raise anyone's emotions either, but are we still going to be without a Video Games section on the forum for some time? I totally understand that if it is the case, since I remember a while back the official explanation for it was that ANN shouldn't have to turn into a mouth piece for every aspect of Japanese popular culture.
SteelyMag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the feedback! The Tokyo Game Show totally makes sense. I can at least understand where this flood is coming from.

Also, thanks for the icon tip. I never knew about that and it's so much easier! Now I'm not flooded with all those icons. (It's like the old days again!)

Thanks again everyone, you've been a big help. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1