Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osaka Police Sweeps 70 Stores for "Harmful" Shōjo Mags


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
skaly



Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Um, okay. What about the shonen mags?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
The Seventh Son



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Posts: 380
Location: Where your missing socks end up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
good point. as far as i know, shounen is a lot more perverted. but with japan having a male dominated society, its hypocritical.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jedi General



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2485
Location: Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
Um, okay. What about the shonen mags?


I was thinking the same thing. If they are gonna sweep shojo, then why not shonen also? The Seventh Son made a good point though. Makes sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LightYagami



Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 257
Location: around the midwest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't Negima fall into the perverted category also. I'm just curious which shoujo manga are on the banned list. Does anyone know where a copy of that list can be obtained?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mufurc



Joined: 09 Jun 2003
Posts: 612

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Well, shounen can be pretty perverted, too, but many shoujo manga nowadays are little more than thinly veiled sex fantasies, and not always particularly wholesome ones - not that there's anything wrong with that by default, but it's really crossing the line between romance and erotica, and I can see how parents or authorities may find some of them worrying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
I'd say that they're probably going to be looking for both kinds of shojo mags.

Last edited by fighterholic on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
FeralKat



Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 399
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Well, shounen can be pretty perverted, too, but many shoujo manga nowadays are little more than thinly veiled sex fantasies, and not always particularly wholesome ones - not that there's anything wrong with that by default, but it's really crossing the line between romance and erotica, and I can see how parents or authorities may find some of them worrying.

I agree with you there. I don't know how many times I've picked up a shoujo manga with a cute cover at BookOff, only to be horrified with the content. Shocked Some of that stuff is just as explicit hardcore yaoi, and according to a friend, sometimes more so... The only thing that has me worried is (as other people mentioned) why aren't they confiscating shounen magazines? I don't condone what they're doing but, it's pretty hipocritical if you ask me...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Because they probably already know what's in shonen mags. Lots of action, loser heros, girls with big watermelons that miraculously don't get exposed, a pretty monotonous cliche if you ask me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
mufurc



Joined: 09 Jun 2003
Posts: 612

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Well, the original Asahi Shinbun article mentions that many shoujo magazines contain ads for dating sites and info on job openings in sex shops and stuff like that. I guess there's no such thing in shounen mags, though the article also mentions that there's already a rule not to sell particularly racy shounen comics to boys under 18.

Also, the article doesn't refer to "shoujo manga" but rather "manga targeted at girls," which also includes boy's love publications (BL is technically not "shoujo manga"). I don't know how many BL manga are involved in this, but I bet there are quite a few. By the way, these manga and magazines are not banned, it's just prohibited to sell them to people under 18.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
That does make sense, but there's stuff in certain Young title magazines that get sold to whoever it seems, yet they don't deem those inappropriate for people under 18. Sounds like hypocrisy like to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
FeralKat



Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 399
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Well, the original Asahi Shinbun article mentions that many shoujo magazines contain ads for dating sites and info on job openings in sex shops and stuff like that. I guess there's no such thing in shounen mags, though the article also mentions that there's already a rule not to sell particularly racy shounen comics to boys under 18.

Also, the article doesn't refer to "shoujo manga" but rather "manga targeted at girls," which also includes boy's love publications (BL is technically not "shoujo manga"). I don't know how many BL manga are involved in this, but I bet there are quite a few. By the way, these manga and magazines are not banned, it's just prohibited to sell them to people under 18.

Oh, okay. That makes so much more sense! Thanks for explaining that. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Xenos



Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 1511
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that none of the books have an age warning on them. Not that we really have anthology manga magazines here, but we do have content warnings on the collected editions which is where most manga fans buy their manga here.

Also, while in Japan, I don't remember seeing any age warnings except on the full 0ut porn and adult manga books aimed at men that were in a separate section in convince stores.

fighterholic wrote:
More towards the term of yaoi, but there's hetero in there also.


Well, let's not forget that Japan is in denial of homosexuality. A friend of mine found it hilarious how many Japanese think America is so full of homosexuals and Japan is free of such activity. Yeah. Sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mufurc



Joined: 09 Jun 2003
Posts: 612

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
That does make sense, but there's stuff in certain Young title magazines that get sold to whoever it seems, yet they don't deem those inappropriate for people under 18. Sounds like hypocrisy like to me.

Well, "Young" magazines are technically seinen mags, that is, targeted at guys over 18... But overall I guess it's like selling cigarettes and liquor to underage persons: it's up to the seller if they adhere to the rule or not (and risk getting punished if they're caught).

As for hypocrisy... well. I think the point here is that the content is not apparent from the appearance, the "style" of the magazines. I mean, look at seinen magazines' covers: they usually have girls with large breasts in skimpy clothes, etc. It's quite obvious that the magazine contains racy stuff. But as FeralKat mentioned above, comics and magazines targeted at girls often look harmless on the outside. I think the authorities have a point when they say this is a problem - after all, it's a great way to advertise bordering-on-illegal or even illegal activities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Well, let's not forget that Japan is in denial of homosexuality. A friend of mine found it hilarious how many Japanese think America is so full of homosexuals and Japan is free of such activity. Yeah. Sure.

You mean of it's existence? It's out there, but homosexual individuals over there don't make a big show of it like they do out here in the US. They go about their business, and pretty much act like heteros outside in public. No over the extreme hugging or kissing that type of thing, because there's people over here that do that. Like Disneyland.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
testorschoice



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 465

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Well, let's not forget that Japan is in denial of homosexuality. A friend of mine found it hilarious how many Japanese think America is so full of homosexuals and Japan is free of such activity. Yeah. Sure.

You mean of it's existence? It's out there, but homosexual individuals over there don't make a big show of it like they do out here in the US. They go about their business, and pretty much act like heteros outside in public. No over the extreme hugging or kissing that type of thing, because there's people over here that do that. Like Disneyland.


Huh? Hugging and kissing are extreme in the US?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group