• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz, Toonami, NFL Team Up for Eyeshield 21 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
This is certainly interesting.

To think that even the NFL is going to get involved with this. It would be cool to see more promotions like this in regards to other sports leagues and sports anime.

So, is it safe to say that Viz licensed Eyeshield 21?

BTW, the NFL Rush link leads to Toonami Jetstream, too.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, the NFL is getting involved with this? That's pretty darn cool.

P.S. This is my 1000th post!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leongsh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
You can see the Japanese branch of the NFL with the NFL logo in the ending credits of the show. So, not too surprised about this piece of news.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
I know the NFL was involved with the Japanese production of the show, shouldn't be too suprising that they'd be involved when the anime comes stateside.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops...
SDnekojin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
I knew it had to happen... the NFL getting in on this deal part of it

But I'm very curious what they're going to do about Hiruma's guns. It would be a great kid's show besides the fact that the networks aren't going to stand for those huge guns randomly being pulled out... which may be silly since I think most partents trust their kids not to pull out automatic weapons in school...

Maybe regulations will be looser on the internet? Maybe if it ever finds its way to TV the guns will squeek like they do in all the Gonzo anime.... and suqirt water... ahhh... must obey the boy with the scary water guns!
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
This is something interesting. I wonder if other shows will follow that. Now if only Fighting Spirit will come out on Jetstream...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
I just hope they get a good dub crew, and not those same boring Ranma/Inu Yasha voices. Viz should hire voice actors at ADV for this one. I feel sorry for John, though, since he's not off to a good start this week.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote

I can't wait for that show to be on Toonami Jetstream. You know, I just started reading the manga on Weekly Shonen Jump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Seca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
This kind of partnership is definatley the way to go for bringing over this series as it uses NFL footage in it to help teach the game to those unfamiliar with it. I hope this means it will eventually lead to a DVD release.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
Seca: Plus the advantage Eyeshield has over Slam Dunk is it doesn't use international rules.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I just hope they get a good dub crew, and not those same boring Ranma/Inu Yasha voices. Viz should hire voice actors at ADV for this one. I feel sorry for John, though, since he's not off to a good start this week.

Viz can't hire actors from ADV because
1.Viz doesn't have an in house recording studio like Funi
2.Viz picks recording studios to do there shows
3.Texas actors would have to audition for a Viz show by moving out to LA.
4 Eyeshield 21 needs nothing but an LA cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
I never thought I'd see this day, and with the NFL getting involved too. I think I'll be checking this out when it starts.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:

3.Texas actors would have to audition for a Viz show by moving out to LA.
4 Eyeshield 21 needs nothing but an LA cast.

Number 3 shouldn't be too much of a problem. And number 4, not necessarily, Vic Mignogna, who resides in Texas also does the voice of Ikkaku from Bleach. And vice versa, Johnny Yong Bosch and Scott McNeil also did some work in Fullmetal Alchemist.

Now, I wouldn't expect either of those actors make an appearance in the dub, but that doesn't mean its not a possibility.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
The only manga and anime to come near Bleach finally comes to America!!!!!

Now drop the Toonami Jetsream talk and announce the release date for the first 13 episode uncut boxset so I can preorder it TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Subs only of course as the Japanese version has the awesomeness known as Kappei Yamaguchi as Monta and Aya Hirano as Mamori.

Me, the lone American ES21 fan, will finally be able to find merchanchise at anime cons and not get looked at weird when I try to talk to someone about the series because they never heard of it. I can now stare at all my imported ES21manga and games and sports towel and smile. Very Happy

Now Viz,there's this series called Gintama..............
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Subs only of course as the Japanese version has the awesomeness known as Kappei Yamaguchi as Monta and Aya Hirano as Mamori.

Why subs only? At least give the dub a chance first.

This is pretty exciting news, and given that it's going to run on Toonami Jetstream, it's most certainly liscensed by Viz. I don't know much about Eyeshield 21 and I'm not much of a Shonen Jump person (Heh, more of a Shonen Sunday person) but this and Gintama are some of the only SJ titles to catch my interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4