• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - ComiPo!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On that note, please come out with a set of yaoi character designs

Well I remember that when the Japanese version just came out they advertised some future character models that looks like Code Geass character design. Assuming that plan is not aborted (sadly I can't seem to find that page now...) its pretty close I guess. Razz

EDIT: Actually found it now, 4:20 of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEegSvr_dg&feature=player_embedded#!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
This can be the Flash animation of the manga world! Laughing
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Oh Canada, I love you as a neighbor, but I'll never bring my anime, manga or laptops anywhere near your borders... Wink
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mixing 3D foreground characters with flat 2D backgrounds is basically what a lot of manga artists do already; in Gantz, for instance, Hiroya Oku renders all the characters first and then draws over them in pen.

more than that it seems, background and many elements are also done in 3D using Shade and Cinema 4D
http://shade.e-frontier.co.jp/special/archives/interview/cp080425.html
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I know of a certain author which could greatly benefit from this Software, Masami Kurumada LOL.
All his manga have this characteristic of having the same poses and the character designs are very much the same too, if this Software was a little more customisable and have Kurumada-like models I bet even I could make the complete Saint Seiya manga LOL.
Although I think Kurumada is one of those old manga-ka that prefers the old mangaka ways.. Though IIRC its newest work is colored in computer.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
That was a really funny and witty comic, Jason, informative while being very entertaining. I enjoyed it much more than the recent Anime News Nina strips, though to be fair you did have a lot more panels to play with.

There may have been limitations on what you could do with all of the preset options, but those options are also the program's biggest strength. As someone who has always wanted to draw Manga but never even bothered, a program which does all of the hard parts is a god-send. It isn't just the actual drawing part but also the deciding what to draw part that benefits.

If you have a framework you have to work with in terms of characters and settings then that can help dictate how the comic will progress, meaning one doesn't have to be super creative in the storytelling department. At least, that's how I see it as someone who hasn't used the program yet.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Love it. I've always wanted to make a manga, but because I'm more skilled on the writing side and not the art side, I never could. I think I might just buy this program...
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
This is just like character creation for Champions Online/City of Heros. Boy was that more fun than the game itself.
Zoya_C

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but has anyone read Jason Thompson's 'The Stiff'? I think thats what it was called. . . Was supposed to be a webcomic but I can't find it Sad
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Zoya_C wrote:
Sorry, but has anyone read Jason Thompson's 'The Stiff'? I think thats what it was called. . . Was supposed to be a webcomic but I can't find it Sad

The Stiff used to be on girlamatic.com, but it's on hold now, and I put the pages down till I can get back to it. For the next two months I'm redrawing things for my Kickstarter for the Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath graphic novel at http://www.mockman.com. But I haven't forgotten The Stiff... when I have more news, I'll post about it Mockman.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2