• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragonball Series DVDS

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
I didn't know if I should put this here or under retail, but my question is...

Was the Dragonball series (not Z or GT) fully release on dvd in the US? And If so was it a uncut series? I check the encyclopedia, but couldn't find a dvd release of the Emperor Pilaf Saga. I know the Namek saga is a first time addition on DVD for the new release of the DBZ Boxsets.

Last edited by the_silent_child on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Yhukiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
I think it was... i meen i know a ton of people who are completely obsessed with it so if the rest of the country was like that then why wouldnt they.... but i think this would go under retail though im not sure but at anyrate theres my half ass answer Very Happy
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
No. Episodes 1-13, and movie 1 still dont have an uncut release. However, you can buy the first 13 episodes, uncut and bilingual, from Madman Ent in australia. Keep in mind it is PAL, but it still has the uncut funimation dub and subtitles.
mathious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering but did you try and find out yourself before making a thread because from the sounds of it you could probably find out on google in no more than 10 minutes. I did read that you checked under the encyclopedia but that won't always tell you everything. If anything try some online shopping places. Here on ANN they have three if you scroll directly to the bottom. Also during the funimation hours on colours I remember it saying something about dragon ball like "you want to remember the glory days check out..." and then I can't remember the website, but I could probably find out tonight but I can't guarantee anything.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
I've always found it wierd that the pilaf saga is not on dvd because if Geneon doesn't have the rights to Dragon Ball Z then Kid Mark has lost their rights to the Pilaf saga if I'm not mistaken. I was thinknig that after all the movies were realesed the pilaf saga would be out but now I think Funi won't release until they finish all of their DBZ season sets.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
It's a thing.

Kidmark dont really exist/do anything. I think they got absorbed into or back into Lions Gate, who is owned by another company, and therefore the rights are in a weird state of limbo.

Basically, I wouldn't hold any hopes on the first 13 eps of DB coming out in the US, along with the first movie.
Andrue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote
last saturday i found episodes 1-13 and movie one in a boxed set and got excited it was only 15 dollars.
then i come to find theres a new intro and all the dirty jokes and even partial nudity is either heavily censored or removed entirely.
I've been waiting for these episodes to come out for a long time.
the box says suitable for ages 5 and older.
what bugs me is that I've seen the episodes on cartoon network and I've read all the manga, and the story is really changed in this release.
the basis of most of the humor in early dragon ball is sex.
all the jokes are sex related. and theyre all taken out.
so now what i have is a bunch of incomprehensible crap.
has anyone experienced this too?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
Andrue wrote:
last saturday i found episodes 1-13 and movie one in a boxed set and got excited it was only 15 dollars.
then i come to find theres a new intro and all the dirty jokes and even partial nudity is either heavily censored or removed entirely.
I've been waiting for these episodes to come out for a long time.
the box says suitable for ages 5 and older.
what bugs me is that I've seen the episodes on cartoon network and I've read all the manga, and the story is really changed in this release.
the basis of most of the humor in early dragon ball is sex.
all the jokes are sex related. and theyre all taken out.
so now what i have is a bunch of incomprehensible crap.
has anyone experienced this too?

Yeah, this'd be the old boxset of the old dub, which is currently the only licensed version in the US of these episodes.

Stuff.
Andrue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
what the hell?
this version is much less violent than the cartoon network ones even.
im going to just buy the rights to the pilaf saga myself so i can watch them withouth convieniently places stools and bubbles.
and master roshi didn't want a date from bulma.
im watching that episode now.
with the ox king.
he wanted a puff puff.
im screaming at my tv.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1