• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Licenses Xenosaga Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yazuka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
I think that's true. It's pretty much whatever the person experienced first, which is most likely the game for some.

I dunno maybe 13 episodes was too short, but it just didn't work for me, I know I was really excited when I found out there was an anime version after playing Episode I. Maybe I had too high expectations and ruined it for myself.

I think we can agree on which game ruled all: Xenogears! Wink

I had pretty high expectations of the anime to. and yeah, it didn't live up to them.
But I still think its an okay, anime. Far from a favorite series. Smile

Heh... Im probably gonna get a lot of crap for this. Smile
Xenogears is a wonderful game. But I actually like Xenosaga better.
I played Xenosaga before Xenogears. And I don't know... I just like it more..
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, I'm a fan of the games. One thing there that I found kind of interesting was that the musical score will not be handled by Mitsuda or Kajiura apparently. This should be interesting, I would've liked it if they were involved.
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I've been wanting to see this for a while. Smile I'd heard about it possibly being licensed, but I'm glad it's confirmed now. I've heard the anime wasn't really good, but I still want to see it since I really like Xenosaga.

I hope they can get Crispin Freeman to do the voice for Albedo, but I'm not so sure that will happen. I liked Jr.'s voice actor too. The rest of the cast was changed so much in the games that I don't really care.
Bluestreak2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who absolutly loves the games. But this anime series looks SO INCREDIBLY AWFULL comparatively that I just couldn't stomach it. I mean I love Xenosaga but I in no way suport this anime.
DrForester

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Wonder who owns rights to this. Toei animation made the show, but Bandai/Namco/Monolithsoft owns Xenosaga (Though, Nintendo now owns Monolithsoft). I just can't see any US company going out of their way to license Xenosaga. It's been a while since the anime was made, the games were not that popular. This had to be a condition for them to get something bigger from the company.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
It seems kinda pointless to have an anime out of EP1 since it WAS pretty much a CGI Anime with a few bits of RPG thrown in inbetween. /=

Episode 1 is definitely on my list of favorite RPGs. Though it really belongs on my top Anime list as thats what I liked about it, the story, characters cutscenes, etc. The gameplay was mediocre. Episode 2 on the other hand was the opposite. All in all I iked this game because I found the gameplay alot better. However, the story was poor. They abbandoned the more Animeish style in favor of more realistic (but ultimately poorer IMO) graphics. The story sortof abandoned where it was going in EP1 and went off in a different direction. It got a bit better near the end when things began to get going again. i haven't had a chance to play through EP3 yet.

I guess Ill probably end up seeing this anyway, but again I dont really see the point of an Anime on Episode 1.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I saw one episode of the anime and didn't have any interest in seeing the rest. Since only the first (and maybe second) game(s) was/were out at the time, the story wasn't anywere near complete when the show was aired. And 13 episodes didn't seem like enough even for just the first game's plot. The episode I saw didn't exactly inspire me to see more.

At this point, I've played all three games and enjoyed two of them (1 and 3) quite a bit, but with the series aborted prematurely (and it shows in the last game), the second game being painful to play, and the third game suffering from severe editing on top of the premature ending, I've no interest in ever playing them again. For me, watching this anime would be like dating your ex-girl(/boy)friend's less attractive and less intelligent younger sibling.

And if the games didn't sell enough to warrant finishing the series, did they really sell well enough to be considered 'best selling'?
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I see ADV's licensing of this anime a bit too late for its own good; the series is already finished and many people already watched the fansubs or heard enough bad things about it to steer clear from it.

I don't know how this release will do (personally, I won't get it until the cheap thinpak is out), but I think that ADV would've made more profit if they licensed it a year or two ago when the series was at the peek of its popularity.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
and the third game suffering from severe editing
Please don't talk about that--Shion's empty hands still makes me psychotic with anger. It was such a powerful moment, and it was completely ruined for me.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote
I'm with darkchibi07. I haven't played any of the 3 games but I totally love the English cast in the videogame (except O'Shaughnessey in episode II). Everyone knows me, I'm a huge fan of Bridget Hoffman. (Thank god they brought her back in ep III).

However, ADV seldom uses the Bang Zoom! team.
The anime was good. Emotional at times too. I hope they do stay faithful to the videogame casting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
os-osiris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
The anime was pretty good. It has its share of downsides, but its mostly notable for the changes it made to the story, which really weren't bad at all.

I'm glad they finally decided to bring it here though, its been quite a while since it first came out ^^;
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote
The music was handled by a different composer. I believe it's the same composer who did the Xenosaga I+II DS game. Anyway, it's good, and the OST is probably the highlight of this anime.

And for those that haven't played Episode III, go buy it right now! Monolithsoft FINALLY got its act together and made a kick-ass game. I enjoyed Episode III more than Final Fantasy XII.

But the anime is still sub-par. It doesn't matter which one you watched first. I have seen people view them in either order, and everyone I've talked to who has seen both prefers the game hands down.
belisarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
Having seen the first 3 or 4 episodes, I can safely say this is not a license I'd pay money for; this is a license you'd have to pay me to take. The animation was rotten and the story was like a Cliff's Notes version of the game. I was tremendously disappointed by it but it's fairly easy to see why they chose to pick it up. I'm sure hundreds of people will buy the first volume just because they loved the games and have visions of what an awesome anime it would make. Expect to see a lot of these people eBay their Vol. 1 DVDs a week later.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
Now this is a surprise. Just when people were talking about when was it going to be picked up, ADV does.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
Yazuka wrote:
Heh... Im probably gonna get a lot of crap for this. Smile
Xenogears is a wonderful game. But I actually like Xenosaga better.
I played Xenosaga before Xenogears. And I don't know... I just like it more..

Nooooo! Why? Crying or Very sad Xenogears is so classic. Heh. Well whatever you like best, that's cool. Wink Maybe it's because you played it first? So it has more fond memories or something. I know I played Xenogears wayyy before Xenosaga even came out so I'm biased.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3