• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Welcome all, I'm sure Psycho101 will be along soon enough with your welcome gifts Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Purplewig & Preme--
Welcome to the fora! Very Happy
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
I've been here for a while but never formally introduced myself here, so here we go!

Name: James
Sex: Male
Blood Type: O Negative
Marital Status: Single
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Religion: Recovering Catholic
Pets: None
Drink/Smoke: Quit cigarettes after 15 years, don't smoke much pot anymore, and I'll have a beer every now and then. My hard partying days are over.
Likes: Music (I've been playing guitar for over 20 years and singing all my life), Super Nintendo-era video games, museum exhibits, kickboxing, board games (scrabble, balderdash, trivial pursuit, apples to apples, chess, etc.), history, making things symmetrical/balanced, karaoke, pre-modern art, cleaning (bordering on compulsively), long drives/road trips, crossword puzzles, autumn, target shooting, parenthetical and semi colon usage, useless trivia that may someday make me a Jeopardy champion, cooking, and other assorted nonsense.
Dislikes: Most people in New York, crowds, kids, modern music
Favorite anime: Mushi-Shi, Clannad/After Story, Shiki, Ghost Hunt, Angel Beats, Lucky Star, Gungrave, Elfen Lied, Last Exile, Ghost in the Shell - S.A.C., Azumanga Daioh, Hellsing Ultimate
Favorite Manga: Never read any
Favorite Books: I mostly enjoy reading historical non-fiction; books about the Titanic, Amelia Earhart, North Korea, the space program, ancient history, etc.
Favorite game: Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI/VII/IX, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore
Favorite TV shows: The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Lost, 30 Rock, Futurama, Parks & Rec, The Office, Arrested Development, House, Archer, Friends, Mad Men, American Dad, Family Guy, Jeopardy, Bones, Law & Order SVU, Scrubs, Unsolved Mysteries, Nat Geo/History/Discovery Channel stuff
Favorite Movies: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Metropolis, A League of Their Own, The Goonies, Spirited Away, Edward Scissorhands, The Fifth Element, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Total Recall, Perfect Blue, A Christmas Story, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Colorful, Jurassic Park, That Thing You Do, Ghostbusters, The Town, Catch Me If You Can, Kung Fu Panda, My Cousin Vinny, Baseketball, Forrest Gump
Favorite Drink: Water, Amstel Light
Favorite Foods: Italian, Steak/BBQ, Chinese, all kinds of chicken etc. I'm kind of a plain/picky eater, but I can always find something I like on any given menu. However, you will never see me eat the following items: mushrooms, mustard, mayonnaise, and seafood (even sushi?!? yes, even sushi). I have absolute respect if you're a veg/vegan, as long as you respect that I am a devout carnivore until a medical professional advises me not to be.
Sites I enjoy frequenting: Anime News Network, Gmail, Ebay, Sporcle, Armor Games, Right Stuf, DVD Planet, Deep Discount, CNN
Favorite Sport (to watch): Hockey
Favorite Sport (to play): Baseball
Favorite Music: Pink Floyd, Massive Attack, Isis, Zero7, Thievery Corporation, Tool, Neurosis, Blood Has Been Shed, Duran Duran, Crowbar, Parov Stelar, Cocorosie, If These Trees Could Talk, Converge, Soundgarden, Hooverphonic, The Cure, Mastodon, I Hear Sirens, Devin Townsend, Steely Dan, Mouth of the Architect, Air, White Zombie, Tom Petty, This Will Destroy You, Ghost, Silverchair, Corrosion of Conformity, Portishead, Between the Buried & Me, Exhumed, Stone Temple Pilots, Morbid Angel, Conjure One, Mogwai, Stina Nordenstam, The Police, Filter, In Flames, Scarlet, The Acacia Strain, Kid Loco, Alice in Chains, Soma Sonic, Van Halen, Meshuggah, 80's one-hit wonders, 90's alternative, metal, ambient, instrumental, etc.
Job: I work in live sports television production for a few different networks doing on-screen graphics during games (NHL/NBA/NFL/Baseball/Soccer/Tennis/College Sports/etc.). I also just completed a stint as a locations coordinator for the CBS show Hostages and hope to do more scripted television work in the future. I do a little bit of voice acting as well (local commercials, books on tape, public service announcements, etc).
Hobbies: I used to be a touring musician for a bunch of different bands, but I retired from all that a few years ago to focus on my career. Now I collect old guitars and amps and fix them up in my spare time. I have over 30 electric and acoustic guitars & basses and about a dozen different amps. I also have a pretty massive coin collection ranging from ancient coins to foreign currency and everything in between.
(Fun?) Facts about me:
– I trained in opera singing for a few years and can still rock some sweet arias
– I love art but I can’t draw to save my life
– About 50% of my body is tattooed – and almost none of it is visible at any given time
– When I was 3 years old, I took my dad’s car keys, started the car, and backed it out of the driveway and into my neighbor’s tree
– I am red/green colorblind (I can still see and distinguish them, just differently than you do)
– I don’t much like being barefooted. Aside from when I’m sleeping, I always have shoes on because I’m afraid of stepping on broken glass/nails/other sharp things
Photos:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/jamesa23/18441444250031974743_zpsdb3ed11a.jpeg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/jamesa23/11674161964869299266_zps646df974.jpeg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/jamesa23/3891723102274042105_zps2e1aab97.jpeg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/jamesa23/14269198472921162950_zps1c0754dd.jpeg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/jamesa23/4134315730116675298_zps7aee0e27.jpeg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/jamesa23/15694652550298580900_zps2b8cf533.jpeg

Last edited by Sohma_Curse on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
James--
I see that you like Metropolis (I've also seen Cabinet of Dr. Caligari); which OST do you prefer to watch it with? Me, there's a band (I think it's called the Metal Alloy Orchestra) whose OST I consider just awesome!
Preme

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
O.o... you're from Long Island, James? In Brooklyn, word on the street is, "spoiler[Them white boys] from Long Island got the best spoiler[weed] in NYC." Is that true?

And thank you for reminding me of Secret of Mana. One of my all time favorite game is Secret of Mana 3. It's in Japanese only, never released in the states. I have a fan translated version and a SNES emulator on my PSP. I used to play it all the time until about 4 years ago. Got myself a gaming laptop and started WoWing at work instead of PSPing at work.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Welcome all, I'm sure Psycho101 will be along soon enough with your welcome gifts Laughing

Who has awakened me from my winter hibernation slumber? There better be beer to tide me over or else Psycho smash!!!!!! o_O

Ahem, hi there lol! I sort of took December off. Holidays, work being crazy, family stuff, etc. I'm sure everyone had much the same. However it's all done with now so I suppose time for the bear to come out of his cave and make an appearance. So let me offer a big happy first of the new year 2014 ANN welcome to Preme, Purplewig, and Sohma_Curse! Preme gets 5 extra points for fine taste in expensive whiskey. If you're drinking Blue Label it damn well better be neat and not muddled with lol. As part of your welcome here it's my joy to give you 3 your very own mystery bag of goodies. *hands them each a brown paper bag* Inside your bags you'll each find such wonders as a random newspaper clipping from the 1978 July 1st issue of the Washington Post, a 5 inch high piece of butter shaped like a troll doll, a single pine cone, and a lone single lugnut of unknown origin. May you cherish your gifts and don't forget these inspiring words of wisdom, :You know you're truly broke when your bologna doesn't have a first name."
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
James--
I see that you like Metropolis (I've also seen Cabinet of Dr. Caligari); which OST do you prefer to watch it with? Me, there's a band (I think it's called the Metal Alloy Orchestra) whose OST I consider just awesome!

I'm partial to the original soundtrack by Gottfried Huppertz. Though Abel Korzeniowski did a nice adaptation in 2004, and there are a few relatively obscure remixes that are pretty neat too.

Preme wrote:
O.o... you're from Long Island, James? In Brooklyn, word on the street is, "spoiler[Them white boys] from Long Island got the best spoiler[weed] in NYC." Is that true?

Ha, when I did smoke, there was ALWAYS amazing stuff available on LI. Most of it came directly from California via transporters who are literally paid to drive the speed limit back and forth across the country to get it from point A to point B. Of course, there's an overabundance of idiot teenage dealers around here who think their crap BC bud is the best stuff around (and even more idiotic teenagers who actually believe it), but as long as you know the difference between that garbage and the good stuff, you can always find what you're looking for.

Nothing can compete with some of the Delivery Service buds you get in the city, though.
IronicRhetoric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've been on an anime forum (6 years I think), but I've been watching more and more anime these days, so I decided to return.

Name: Zemroy
Ethnicity: Black
Religion: Justice

Drink/Smoke: Drink, but I don't smoke. One vice at time folks.

Favorite Anime: Monster, Saikano, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Likes: Music (listen to a bit of everything except screamo), video games, running, biking, anime of course

Favorite Manga: Don't read Manga

Favorite Games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Devil May Cry,

Favorite TV shows: NCIS, Scandal, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, New Girl, Hawaii Five-0, Criminal Minds

Favorite Movies: The Mask, Star Wars, Dark Knight, Seven Samurai, The Usual Suspects, Leon Professional, Princess Mononoke, The Prestige, Oldboy,

Dislikes: Arrogance, shaving, bigots, reality TV (except singing, dancing types, though I don't watch them. You still need talent for those), animal abusers. Once waited for a duck to cross the road in Afghanistan. My boss had a field day with that one.

Sites I Frequent: Wikipedia, Kick Ass Torrents, Google

Fun Fact: Born in Jamaica, grew up in Brooklyn, NY.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Zemroy--
Welcome to the fora! Smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Hey, similar to Sohma_Curse I've been here for a little while, but never spent much time on the Forum until the last month or so, so I thought I'd say hi.

Name: Tayler

Blood Type: Ooooo

Location: about 40 minutes West of Washington, DC. NoVA, as it is widely known.

Ethnicity: 50% Irish, 25% Scottish, 25% French

Religion: Pretty much unaligned... I usually consider myself Deist.

Pets: None for the time being.

Drink/Smoke: Neither.

Likes: The color Purple/Violet. Art. Anime. Video Games. Guns. Cars.

Dislikes: Slapstick/potty/immature comedy. Bills. Aggressive drivers. Pretentiousness. Bigots. Racism. Animal/Child/People Abuse. Close-mindedness.

Favorite anime: Attack on Titan, Evangelion, Death Note, Anohana, Higurashi No Naku Koroni(and Kai)

Favorite Manga (Light novels): I have never actually read one through, but I just started Berserk since I was mildly disappointed with the animation of the remake films, and it is THE best thing ever currently.

Favorite game: Fallout 3/New Vegas, Civilization III, Dishonored, Splinter Cell(pretty much all of them), Skyrim, Sim City 4, Age of Empires II.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Forrest Gump, Taken, 300, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I have never really been a huge fan of most TV shows. Breaking Bad was pretty good.

Favorite Drink: N/A

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Kombucha... not a lot of people would agree with me on this. I guess it technically has like 0.5% alcohol.

Favorite Foods: Dairy. French Fries. Chicken Fried Steak. Meat Loaf. Mash Potatoes. Pretty much the worst comfort food you can think of.

Favorite Sites: Anime News Network, Rightstuf, IGN, Amazon, Crunchyroll

Favorite Sport (to watch): American Football

Favorite Sport (to play): Track and Field, American Football, Soccer, Basketball, Rugby

Favorite Music: Metal, Indie, Alternative Rock, Classical. I've been listening to a lot of J-music lately. Kalafina, Faylan, Eiko Shimamiya. Mostly soundtracks to my favorite anime.

Job: I deliver Pizza for a living. And I am also heavily invested in Real Estate.

Hobbies: Collecting and watching Anime. Playing Video Games. Shooting and learning about guns. Working on and driving cars.

Fun facts about Tayler:
Most people think I am in High School. Apparently I look like I am 17-18.

When meeting me in person, most people seem to think that I am innocent and light-hearted, but when I look at myself objectively, I am actually extremely dark and cold.

I have Lyme Disease. I've had it for the last decade and most likely will for the rest of my life. I'm coping. I actually can't drink anything with more than 1-2% alcohol because of it.

I avoided anime like a plague(because people told me to) until I happened upon something on Netflix just over 2 years ago. Now I'm wondering why I ever listened to them.

I fantasize about a Zombie apocalypse almost every day.

I grew up in somewhat of a cult until I was 10. It was technically a fanatical division of Christianity, but my family was not allowed access to electronics and girls couldn't wear pants(dresses only). As such, I never saw any of the TV shows that other people my age have seen until just recently and, of course, they didn't have the same impact at that point at all.

I have an intense appreciation for statistics. I'm not really sure why, but if I can use numbers or statistics for something I do. I'm also a huge fan of lists and organization for the same reasons.

Favorite Quotes:

I have way too many quotes to list, but most of them boil down to these:

"To find yourself, think for yourself." Socrates

"I'm worried that students will take their obedient place in society and look to become successful cogs in the wheel - let the wheel spin them around as it wants without taking a look at what they're doing. I'm concerned that students not become passive acceptors of the official doctrine that's handed down to them from the White House, the media, textbooks, teachers and preachers." Howard Zinn(I don't know enough about him to say whether I agree with him in general, but this quote is pretty spot on)

"So the fact that I’m me and no one else is one of my greatest assets. Emotional hurt is the price a person has to pay in order to be independent." Haruki Murakami

Oh, and just so you can see how young I look, here is an actual picture of me:

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/528718_10151222270979403_591150116_n.jpg
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Purplewig wrote:

.Has great ideas for stories, but never knows how to start them

Haha. I can relate to that. I actually created a list of all of the stories that I want to write, but I'm not very good at writing, so it will likely never happen unfortunately.

The biggest problem for me is that a lot of them would only be good if they were told using a specific medium. Some would be great movies, some would be good TV shows, some would be good books. I really don't have the talent for any of that. Crying or Very sad
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I fantasize about a Zombie apocalypse almost every day.

Don't we all Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
@Tsuna Reborn
Frankly no. I realize that zombies are hot right now, but I really don't understand the attraction. Other aspects of the supernatural I can deal with and enjoy. Zombies not so much. Oh well to each his own.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Tsuna Reborn
Frankly no. I realize that zombies are hot right now, but I really don't understand the attraction. Other aspects of the supernatural I can deal with and enjoy. Zombies not so much. Oh well to each his own.

Yeah, sometimes I don't like how overly popular they are, but to me they are awesome. I hate to use such an overused phrase, haha, but I liked them before they were really popular(as far as I know) and have pretty much been fascinated since I heard of their existence.

Also, the thought of being able to beat the crap out of all the people I hate in the world with a clear conscience is very appealing... albeit very dark, haha. Twisted Evil
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Zombies used to be something Voodoo practitioners used to make out of recent corpses to create servants. There was the added idea that the people might not be really dead. Very spooky and scary.

Modern zombies are just walking disease vectors. You might as well have the end of the world from a recurrence of the black plague.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 197 of 233