• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Hello, Josh, and welcome to ANN! When you have served your conscription, what do you plan to do once you've grown up? Wink
Fashi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Heeeey. I never am social when I'm on the internet and all of my friends either don't watch anime or only watch stuff like naruto. This seems like an alright place to find likeminded people.

name: Fashi I guess I prefer people refer to me as a series of grunts and mouth noises

Location: Cinncinati Ohio (that place with the bad sports teams and terrible chilli)

Marital Status: SINGLE FOREVER WOOOOOOOOOOO *cries*

Religion: Twisted Evil

Pets: One dog and the millions of bacteria that resides within me

Dislikes: Capitalists, insects, the Police

Favorite anime: FLCL, Durarara!!, Rebuild Evangelion (fight me), Monogatari, Miyazaki movies

Manga/Light novel Only read the FLCL and Evangelion manga so far. Just got into light novels with Durarara!! and Bakemonogatari.

Favorite books: Girl with the dragon tattoo, Lolita, Communist Manifesto

Tv/Movies: Let the right one in, Love Exposure, Rocky

Drinks: STR8 EDGE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *does sick kickflip on skateboard while listening to Minor Threat*

Favorite food TOFU WOOOOOO *Chants NWA lyrics while rebeling against authority*

JobLIBREAL ARTS STUDENT WOOO *Dies hair red to prepare for a Bernie Sanders rally* (I have done all of these things)

Favorite Music The beforementioned 90's rap and a lot of punk

Hobbies: Drawing really poorly, Writing bad fiction, Playing bad music (Shameless plug for bad pop punk i make with my friends sometimes https://lincolnjames.bandcamp.com/ )

Yeah so hi. I was going to post a photo of me after I ate a human baby but I'm on 9% battery and I'd have to find it Arrow [/b]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
Fashi wrote:
Yeah so hi. I was going to post a photo of me after I ate a human baby but I'm on 9% battery and I'd have to find it Arrow

Hello Fashi!
If you do not mind me suggesting, I advise that you do not post that photograph. It could ultimately be used to incriminate you...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Hello, Fashi, I'm pleased to make your acquaintance! Cool Smile Very Happy
Vicente Gallardo Carroza

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
Hi, this is my second message ever so i'm still nervous, and also still think that my english is kinda bad Sad but whatever, here is my presentation i think Anime hyper

Name: Muki, even if i log in with my facebook acount, all my friend call me like that Anime hyper and if not, i'm 27 because of reasons xD

Sex: male

Blood thype: actually don't know, A i supose .-.

Marital status: single

Ethnicity: i think i'am mapuche and italian but i sincerely don't know

Religion: Apatheist

Pets: i adopted a injured cat that now it's fine he is grey and it's called fatito for an spanish pun Anime hyper

Drink/Smoke:i drink a lot but smoke like once a year, is not good but not bad at all

Likes: to search interesting doujins(don't get me wrong, i mean with a good plot), and to read/write/listen to anything in a foreign languaje

Dislikes: being surrounded by a lot of people, basically all of the human interactions
(it's 3 am so i will not do the "favorite..", sorry)
Job: nothing u.u

Hobbys: probably it's search weird stuff, and good games Anime hyper

that's all, i hope i didn't do wrong ;-; if i do PLEASE tell me :'(
Majikura

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
Hey ya'll, my name's Kura. I'm usually a hermit when it comes to anime but I'd like to branch out to communities and stuff after I started reviewing anime on youtube. I'm 29, a dude, I have a taste for bad harem anime, and play a lot of anime fighting games despite being garbage at them.

A list of my favorite anime would be like: Symphogear (all seasons), No Game No Life, Martian Successor Nadesico, School Rumble, Idolm@ster, among others.

Noted the warning as I'm posting this. Would it be okay to promote my youtube channel in a different thread? Our team puts way more effort in our videos than is required and I just want to be able to reach more people with them.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Kura--
Welcome to ANN! You may want to check out this thread.....

Muki--
I didn't notice your post! Embarassed Welcome aboard! Cool Smile Very Happy
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Old Fogey Anime Fan here. I've been watching anime since the early-mid 1980s, when I used to trade VHS video tapes with Japanese fans (I'd send Airwolf, Knight Rider, Doctor Who, whatever; they'd send anime - unsubtitled, straight Japanese).

Name: DeTroyes
Marital status: married
Religion: Roman Catholic
Drink/Smoke: Nope.
Favorite music: Classical, Jazz (instrumental), film music scores
Favorite sports: Baseball (Go Cubs!); American Football (Go Bears!)
Favorite games: I still play Civilization II.
Favorite anime: Dear god, this is a long list. Galaxy Express 999, Space Cruiser Yamato, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, My Youth in Arcadia, Endless Orbit SSX, Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (first series I ever followed as it was coming out in Japan!), Mobile Suit Gundam X, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed/Destiny, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Dirty Pair, Enemy Are Pirates, Lodoss Wars, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Martian Supressor Nadescio, Space Fortress Macross, Macross 7, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, X, Berserk, Blood +, Monogatari (all of them), Bleach, Angel Beats, Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water, Space Adventure Cobra, Lupin III, Love Chunibyo and Other Delusions.... probably forgetting a ton here, but you get the idea.
Favorite manga: Going through Bleach right now, but for the most part I haven't had the time to read as much manga as I should.
Miscellaneous: Holds a degree in Medieval Studies. Reads a ton of Science Fiction & Fantasy. Used to run the anime rooms at several SF conventions in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Also ran one of the first anime clubs in the Chicago area (mid-1980s - early 1990s).

Last edited by DeTroyes on Mon May 30, 2016 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes --
Welcome to ANN! Have you been lurking long? Just out of curiosity, were you ever exposed to Robotech? If so, then what did you think of it?
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I've been lurking the news section off and on for a few months, but just now decided to start posting.

Yes, I watched Robotech when it was first released. I also watched Star Blazers in the early 1980s. And everyone my age had watched Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go) and Battle of the Planets (Gatcheman).

As for my opinion of Robotech... I didn't think it was all that bad, actually. Yes, the plot lines were rewritten, sometimes drastically, from the original source material. But you have to also consider the time that it came out. Most anime translations at that time were considerably dumbed down in order not to "offend" sensibilities ("Those aren't people getting shot; they're robots!" "The planet was destroyed! But thank goodness everyone was evacuated in time!" "My brother left to go colonize another planet, so I'll go lay some flowers at this memorial in his honor!"). Robotech, despite all of its flaws, was still the first true attempt to remain faithful to the spirit of the original programs, and for that reason I still think it is one of the best.

But having said all of this... I still prefer the original Space Fortress Macross to its Robotech incarnation. Do You Remember Love? is still on my top 10 favorite anime films.
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hello there! I decided to create an account here in the forum after following ANN for a few years now - when I started to look for the directors/animators of the shows that I liked I found ANN's amazing encyclopedia and I've been using it ever since. This was around 2004. (But I really wanted to rant about the new Berserk series!)

Name: Lyra_Kaze

Sex: Female

Blood Type: O negative

Marital Status: Single but taken

Ethnicity: Angolan, Portuguese, French, Chinese (Macanese)

Religion: Atheist

Pets: An imaginary dog!

Drink/Smoke: I drink sometimes with friends (I could drink Radlers everyday thou!) and I don't smoke.

Likes: Animation (surprise!), Cinema, Theater, Dancing like a mad person, Game Theories, Strong Female Characters and above all - Stories!

Dislikes: ermmm... Really petty discussions.

Favorite anime: Seirei no Moribito, Monster, Mushishi, Kaiba, Conan, Kemono no Souja Erin, Kino's Journey - Isao Takahata's movies, Miyazaki's and Satoshi Kon's.

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Berserk, Sunny, Kakukaku Shikajika, Planetes, Tekkon Kinkreet, Pluto.

Favorite Books: Mistborn Series, The Stormlight Archive series, His Dark Materials trilogy, Howl's Moving Castle series, Enchanted Glass, The Little Prince, Death of a Salesman, Dirty Hands - and Agatha Christie's mysteries.

Favorite game: Okami, Journey, Chrono Trigger, Animal Crossing, Undertale.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Stalker, Seven Samurai, Memories of Murder, Happiness, Mother, Pan's Labyrinth, Los Cronocrimines, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Game of Thrones, There Will Be Blood...

Favorite Drink: Radler!!

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Fresh orange juice!

Favorite Foods: Lasagna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Sites: Animenewsnetwork, Catsuka, Youtube, Tumblr

Favorite Sport (to watch): I follow sports with what I'm reading/watching - I've gone through Soccer,Baseball, Tenis, Judo, Ping Pong, Karuta. But what is always current is Kung Fu

Favorite Sport (to play): Kung Fu (Shaolin) but I'll play anything for fun!

Favorite Music: Yoko Kanno, Nina Simone, Joe Hisaishi, Sleep Walker, Melvina Reynolds, Chico Buarque, Nujabes, José Mario Branco, Gesu no Kiwami Otome - I mostly listen to instrumental (candy or jazzy), OST or protest/folk musics

Job: Visual Developer and Animator

Hobbies: Drawing, watch animation series, play video games, read and dance

Fun facts about me:
- I memorize random lyrics even when I don't want to.
- I have my own power up dance
- I laugh ...a lot!!
- I love to give nicknames
- I have terrible jokes

So yeah!! Nice to meet you guys!!
This was intense!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Hello and welcome, Lyra_Kaze!

Lyra_Kaze wrote:
Fun facts about me:

I must say that this intrigues me. As I am not a physician, may I ask if such dances ever achieve their intended purpose?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Lyra_Kaze--
WELCOME!
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Lyra_Kaze wrote:
Fun facts about me:

I must say that this intrigues me. As I am not a physician, may I ask if such dances ever achieve their intended purpose?

Actually, it does!!
The dance itself is very unimpressive but the power up ability is off the charts - it can turn any zombie-like laziness into shounen like fighting power!!

Thank you for the welcome guys!!!
Entelechy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Name: Patricia, but on this site I'd prefer Entelechy

Sex: Female

Blood Type: O+

Marital Status: Single

Romantic Preference: Asexual, Aromantic

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Religion: n/a

Pets: A Labrador and a cat

Drink/Smoke: Drinks socially and doesn't smoke.

Likes: Hiking, reading, skiing, playing strategy board games, watching anime, webcomics

Dislikes: Mushrooms, mosquitos

Favorite anime: Anything Ghibli, Fullmetal Alchemist, Haibane Renmei, 12 Kingdoms, Princess Tutu, Death Note

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Never could get in to manga.

Favorite Books: Timeline, The Pillowbook of Cordelia Kenn, Harry Potter series, Essays by Ralph Waldo Emmerson, Pandora's Star, Graceling series

Favorite game: don't play video games. LOVE board games, like Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Settlers of Catan, Shadows over Camelot.....

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Pan's Labyrinth, Boys from Brazil, The Usual Suspects, Big Bang Theory, The Apartment, The Black Rose

Favorite Drink: meh

Non-Alcoholic Drink: anything with sugar

Favorite Foods: Indian or Thai is awesome, especially anything with peanut sauce

Favorite Sites: Animenewsnetwork

Favorite Sport (to watch): Zzzzzzz

Favorite Sport (to play): Badminton, obstacle races or mud runs, skiing

Favorite Music: Everything. Mostly oldies, like Heart, Cream, Golden Earring, Styx, Herman's Hermits, Boston....

Job: Radiologic Imaging Tec

Hobbies: Skiing, hiking, playing board games, watching anime, reading webcomics, sewing

Fun facts about Entelechy:
Um

Favorite Quotes: "Is your brain open?" -Paul Erdos

Pic:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 221 of 233