• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Here is Greenwood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
I recently picked up Here is Greenwood used from Animenation for $11.98. It's very good. I thought episode 4 was funny because of the way everybody was so nonchalant about the ghost haunting the dorm.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
I personally use maxell's DVD+R when it comes time for burning my anime. Maxells discs are by far the most reliable discs I've used and I've never had one fail a burn on me to date. My experience with DVD-R is a less enjoyable one since every time I've used the DVD-R regardless of the brand/company that made them alomost half of them would wind up failing the burn process or if they suceeded they would only last a month to a year at most where as my DVD+R's have not died out yet.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
About the only DVD+R recordings I've done are of the [adult swim] run of Bleach, so I can have something to watch while I wait for box sets. Still, reading about the limited lifespan of things makes me wonder a bit about how long I can expect my regular DVDs of remaining good.

It looks like I've got another title to purchase now. Anime exclamation Sigh Anime smallmouth

I need to win the lottery. I'm trying to collect too many series right now.
keitarourashima

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
If you store DVDs for long time in a sealed case (like i do), you should store them with silica gel bags to remove any humidity from the container. Also put one in the unburned DVD spindle to keep them "fresh".
adam_omega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
Back when The Ring 2 came out in theaters in 2005, I put in my store-bought copy of The Ring (the Dreamworks remake) and it would load the menu and nothing else would start... on multiple players. Took it out and noticed it had a weird cloud-like pattern on the bottom. Mind you, this is a DVD from 2003 when the DVD first came out that had been watched once and sat on my shelf for 2 years. So even some manufactored DVDs may not even last that long. It's really just the nature of the beast sometimes.

Last edited by adam_omega on Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Where can one purchase silica gel bags in bulk?

Here is Greenwood is the first Buried Treasure I've heard of and seen. It's been a few years, but I recall it being a fun show. Really bizarre, but fun. Smile[/i]
Seras

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
yeah i've also had a lot of disks die out on me in the last year....enough that i decided DVDRs were no longer a viable solution for long term data storage

combined with the extremely low prices of hard drives lately (~3gigs/cdn$)...i've just started transfering my entire video collection to hard drives.

i'll still have all the disks as back-up though i plan on having each HD mirrored at some point(budget permitting)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Back when The Ring 2 came out in theaters in 2005, I put in my store-bought copy of The Ring (the Dreamworks remake) and it would load the menu and nothing else would start... on multiple players. Took it out and noticed it had a weird cloud-like pattern on the bottom. Mind you, this is a DVD from 2003 when the DVD first came out that had been watched once and sat on my shelf for 2 years. So even some manufactored DVDs may not even last that long. It's really just the nature of the beast sometimes.
Well, at least you didn't have the bizarre experience with The Ring 2 that I did. I bought the DVD from Best Buy, brought it home, went through all the packaging (take note, it was COMPLETELY factory sealed) and opened it to find. . . nothing. The disc wasn't in it at all.

For a little while that night, I was concerned that Samara would be coming for me. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I know there are occasionally foul-ups with the machines, but that was just nuts.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Apparently I am in the minority if MOST anime fans collect bootlegs & download fansubs. I don't have a single one. Do I feel left out? Like I'm missing something? Nope. Ah well, another nail in that coffin.

LOVE Here is Greenwood by the way. I had my VHS tapes until well after the dvd issue cam out. Those were the days.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Where can one purchase silica gel bags in bulk?

I was wondering the exact same thing myself. They are very handy, you can put them in your sock drawer to help remove odors and moisture. I have a collection of artbooks in a large bin and as we all know paper yellows after a while. I think part of that yellowing is due to the moisture in the air. I wanted to throw a handful of them in my artbook bin.

Also if you get a bag of silica gel packs and it says ct. 100 does that actually mean you get 101?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I have a collection of artbooks in a large bin and as we all know paper yellows after a while. I think part of that yellowing is due to the moisture in the air.

No, that's probably more likely to be caused by exposure to acid (in the paper and ink itself). Also, to a certain extent, by contact with air and moisture, and by exposure to light.

Keep your valued books someplace dark and fairly dry (but not totally devoid of humidity, that's nearly as bad), where vermin cannot get at them, and hope that they're not printed on acidic stock.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
Apparently I am in the minority if MOST anime fans collect bootlegs & download fansubs. I don't have a single one. Do I feel left out? Like I'm missing something? Nope. Ah well, another nail in that coffin.

LOVE Here is Greenwood by the way. I had my VHS tapes until well after the dvd issue cam out. Those were the days.

I'm not sure if most do. I mean, I download fan subs, but only of series that aren't licensed or, in the most extreme cases, if Netflix and Blockbuster both don't have a series or a disc in a series (I have a 3-disc subscription from Netflix and a 1-disc from Blockbuster for backup and for re-watching series. Netflix is for watching new stuff since I have the 3-disc plan)

For me, most series I just burn the files on the disc, but not in a way that will play in a DVD player. Some of those are nearing 2 years old and I haven't run into many problems. The biggest problem I have is trying to burn a DVD to actually watch in my DVD player (my current project to do that is Kanon). Except there most of the time it messes up in the conversion from AVI to MPEG4 unless I convert the files one at a time rather than the burning.
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
And if you like the anime, which is inevitable, pick up all nine volumes of the manga.
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
My sister had the entires series on her computer a few years back before the drive got whiped. Now I wish I had watched it Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Excellent burning tips there. And a great article too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4