• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Here is Greenwood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluestreak2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been burning anime to CD-r for about 5 years now. (DVD-r for 3) And I'm happy to report that they still work for me. So whatever brand I've been buying or how I store them seems to be working.
Though the quality from back then is astoundingly low. Anime hyper
keitarourashima

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Where can one purchase silica gel bags in bulk?

Here is Greenwood is the first Buried Treasure I've heard of and seen. It's been a few years, but I recall it being a fun show. Really bizarre, but fun. Smile[/i]

You can get them at eBay or agriculture supplies stores(silica gel is used to dry seeds) . Or when you buy new shoes, inside the box you'll find small bags of silica gel.
Good thing about silica is that once its saturated with humidity, you put the bags in the oven or microwave for about five to eight minute (oven is slightly slower) and you have fresh unsaturated silica gel.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Past wrote:
I have a collection of artbooks in a large bin and as we all know paper yellows after a while. I think part of that yellowing is due to the moisture in the air.

No, that's probably more likely to be caused by exposure to acid (in the paper and ink itself). Also, to a certain extent, by contact with air and moisture, and by exposure to light.

Keep your valued books someplace dark and fairly dry (but not totally devoid of humidity, that's nearly as bad), where vermin cannot get at them, and hope that they're not printed on acidic stock.

- abunai

Thank you for the helpful hints my friend, my artbooks are so precious to me.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I've only had one bunch of CD-Rs go bad on me, and that was clearly because the brand sucked. Everything brand-name, going back to 2001, has held up just fine so far.

I've only been burning to DVD for a few months, though, and only rarely, so I'm just going with brands I trust from CD-Rs and hoping for the best there.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
My sister had the entires series on her computer a few years back before the drive got whiped. Now I wish I had watched it Sad

You mean Here is Greenwood? It's very easy to get the series! I'm so glad that Media Blasters put it on DVD since it's one of my favorite anime ever from way back when. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
apocalypticPOTATO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Here is Greenwood is one of my favorites from way back when too, and holds a special place in my heart ( I was so excited to see that was the topic of this article!)... it was many years ago in my local video rental place with a handle of titles in the "Special Interest" section that were some of the earliest anime titles then available...one was the Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystal (title?) OVA, which had a few previews for other early titles, which for my fairly still young and innocent mind , were very very violent and very very scary (unfortunately i don't remember what these titles were...)...at any rate, this was one of the few VHS anime tapes available at the time and i loved it (the review said the original dub was pretty horrible but i still wish i had these original VHS tapes for that dub, if just for nostalgia)...i remember when media blasters came out with the DVD i literally bought it right away...it's still one of my favorites to date

yay buried treasure!
Pongo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
luckily most of my disks still work fine i think, since i keep them in a drawer in cd spindles, most of those i dont check/watch very often anyway, but I've rarely have had dvds fail on me, most of mine are either gmit dvd+r or princo (i perfer gmit since the princo ones tend to fail more often) and i use dvd+r by personal preference over dvd-r because you can't multisession of dvd-r, so if i say accidently left out something or something went wrong on initial burning i can modify the disk Very Happy
Ryanburg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Back in the olden days of 1999, when I first discovered the world of anime, Here is Greenwood was one of the first (after Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikoku) that I watched. It is generally funny and entertaining, however, there are no fight scenes to satiate the attention deficit inclined. I suggest that you young folk give this a try. You just might like it. Razz
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
And if you like the anime, which is inevitable, pick up all nine volumes of the manga.

すごい!

I plan on doing that.

Don`t knock Greenwood... it actually sets quite a watermark for that whole `goofy situation with non-chalant but enjoyable characters` vibe that has seemed so popular for so long. The animation and style are fun too.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote
Greenwood is one of my favourites mangas. I bought the whole (or so) manga in Japan, and I'm througly buying the Viz Version... Pity the anime didn't cover it completly.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote
First saw Greenwood on VHS back in 2001 and it's been a staple ever since. I had made a copy of it at the time, but I think it got lost or borrowed and never returned. I've been meaning to buy the DVDs for the longest time, but have never seen it locally and haven't tried online. The female voice actors seemed to put a little more effort into their acting, at least Shun sounded good, and the lack of effort kinda helped add to Shinobu's coldness.

Well, here's to the No-Brand Heroes, this really brings back memories.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
I have had some go bad and expect some to go, but I do try to take care of them as best as I can. I keep them in either DVD cases or slip case books.

It's best to avoid the painted face CDs and DVDs; the paint can peal and the recording becomes unreadable.

It's also a good idea to turn on VERIFICATION when burning. This helps assure that the burn is good.

I also like to wipe the disks before burning to prevent dust or fingerprints from messing up the burn.
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips on the DVD's. I have a binder full of fansubs, and I'd cry if any of them stopped working. I have a lot of things that I'd love to buy but am too poor for...*sigh*

Here's to my refund check from school coming soon...I'm buying a ton of crap when it gets here!!! Razz
roujin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I used to back up all of my favorite anime series on dvd-r but lately I've been finding that I don't really want to revisit them much or if I do want to revisit it I usually download it.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for letting us fans know about the DVD release. I still have the LDs in my collection (both originals from Japan, and the American ones), so it will be nice to have it on a more modern format.

Remember Laser Rot from the LD's? I found they apply to DVDs as well. Any of the gold disc DVDs and just about every store sold DVD is subject to it. A ton of the hong-kong subs are also affected by it. Regardless of how good you try to keep the discs they still get affected, UNLESS you keep them in a sealed, air-tight container.

About 300 of my VCDs and DVDs are all suffering from laser rot now. I mourn the loss of all that anime. Even a few commercially purchased DVDs are like that too - primarily the original 50 or so DVDs that I bought way back when DVDs first came out - and my Xena and Hercules collection DVDs too - waah!

It's really a shame that this format works like this, but I remember reading something from Sony many years ago that the DVD format released to consumers was designed to self-destruct after several years, so they would always have the last laugh.

But the studios still have problems. I believe their loss rate is somewhere around 19% of all discs they try to produce are bad - but at pennies a disc, they can afford to throw them away during the QC check.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4