• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Atsuhiro Iwakami

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
This is a fantastic interview! I'm a big fan of Madoka Magica (and I'm actually doing a panel on magical girl shows this weekend at NDK!) so it was great to get Iwakami's perspective on the show and hear about the creative process of bringing it all together. I'm glad the show has been successful, it's obvious that a lot of talented people put a lot of thought and care into this show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kazume

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
Wow yeah, really great interview. Cant' Wait for a Madoka release in the U.S. soon Very Happy
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
AI: Well, the script was actually done three years ago, and it was only because of scheduling issues at SHAFT that delayed the production, and that was unplanned. Otherwise I think that the show came out on time and in a way I can be happy about.

"on time" in SHAFT-time (GMT+3yrs)

Quote:
AI: I'm very glad to see the reaction it's getting. As an original title, not even anime fans knew about Madoka as recently as last November, but now it's become a commonly-known title. I'm very happy about the reception.

technically speaking, there should be no reception at all in the US or anywhere else at least until a few more months.. amirite? Laughing
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Really good interview! I'm absolutely obsessed with Madoka right now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
I saw the Madoka banner come up at the top of the front page and my heart skipped a beat... Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Quote:
AI: I'm very glad to see the reaction it's getting. As an original title, not even anime fans knew about Madoka as recently as last November, but now it's become a commonly-known title. I'm very happy about the reception.

technically speaking, there should be no reception at all in the US or anywhere else at least until a few more months.. amirite? Laughing

There has. I know people who've actually bought the Blu-ray volumes. through Amazon JP and other websites. And it's been discussed at great length in many a message board.

I, too, am waiting for Madoka to be released in the US. The only problem is that it might come out only in DVD at first. I know Aniplex USA is gonna charge an arm and a leg, so if I'm gonna pay a steep price, I'd rather get BDs than DVDs. I'll still buy the DVDs, though.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
There has. I know people who've actually bought the Blu-ray volumes. through Amazon JP and other websites. And it's been discussed at great length in many a message board.

lol, yes there's obviously a huge reception in the US with cosplayers and all but I seriously doubt all of the discussion (here included) have come from people who are bilingual and have plopped down several hundred dollars for the import.. and to those who have, I doubt they bought it blind in the first place Wink

Quote:
I, too, am waiting for Madoka to be released in the US. The only problem is that it might come out only in DVD at first. I know Aniplex USA is gonna charge an arm and a leg, so if I'm gonna pay a steep price, I'd rather get BDs than DVDs. I'll still buy the DVDs, though.

me too.. but you have to wonder if Aniplex is aware of and relying on the hype from the fansubs (much like Kara no Kyoukai -- immediately sold out, before any official reviews; again, I very much doubt a few thousand people are spending $400 on a blind buy with a show as complicated to describe)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I've watched a clip from this show; have to admit that this scene took me by surprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKx3d_RlGnI&feature=related
lelliel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I've watched a clip from this show; have to admit that this scene took me by surprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKx3d_RlGnI&feature=related

Warning: the clip contains a spoiler.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ANN: There are currently several manga adaptations and spinoffs of Madoka, as well as a novel series. Do you foresee other spinoffs coming out based in the same world? Would you want to animate them?

AI: There aren't currently any plans for the spinoffs, no.

*mope* aww, I was not so secretly hoping that they'd animate the Oriko Magica spinoff manga.

oh well, i'm sure some spin off will come eventually.

Thanks for the interview! it was good to hear from him :3
loka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Before the showing at Otakon, he asked the crowd, "Who has seen this show before?" From where I was sitting, I saw not one person with their hand down. I'm sure there were a few, but were so sparse as to be unnoticeable.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Great job with the interview! Since I've been spoiled by a whole bunch of translated interviews and staff commentary in the EvaGeeks forum and Puella Magi Wiki, though, I'm afraid that a lot of the stuff said here didn't feel that new to me, hah. Laughing It's great to see that Gia is a fan of this show, apparently.

Although... is it so wise to have that BD cover of volume five posted in the article? You know, since spoiler[Moemura is as clear as day on the cover]? Sure, most readers of the article will be those that have already seen the show (a show that's super well-known to begin with), and one can't do a google search of Homura without encountering spoiler[Homura as depicted in the first timelines], but still... maybe that could be replaced with the cover of an earlier BD?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
This was a great interview, keep them coming, ANN!
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I really loved Madoka, but when I first saw the ending I was so pissed off. I eventually came to terms with it though. If there is one thing I don't like about the series though is that the first couple witch fights had like no direction, and were virtually artistic vomit. They fixed that though in... well not to spoil anything I will say the fight with the orchestra theme.

Anyway I plan to buy the series at some point when it comes here. I just hope that the dub doesn't butcher it too much.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Kohii wrote:

lol, yes there's obviously a huge reception in the US with cosplayers and all but I seriously doubt all of the discussion (here included) have come from people who are bilingual and have plopped down several hundred dollars for the import.. and to those who have, I doubt they bought it blind in the first place Wink

Quote:

me too.. but you have to wonder if Aniplex is aware of and relying on the hype from the fansubs (much like Kara no Kyoukai -- immediately sold out, before any official reviews; again, I very much doubt a few thousand people are spending $400 on a blind buy with a show as complicated to describe)

If it's actually getting the word out about the shows and people are buying the DVDs and BDs, is there really a problem? I'm against piracy for the sake of getting a free product, sure, but these fans are actually putting money back into the system. I have doubts that Madoka would've even gotten licensed here in the USA if there hadn't been buzz for the show in the US. It's not really the sort of show that gets snatched up quickly for North American release these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2