• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-06-22]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
It could have been worse. he could have said:

I wove wabbet. Especiawy with onion sauce, and especially for CHRISTMAS DINNER! Merry Christmas!

Are you trying to get him mad??

It's not that it makes me "mad" it just shows me that there are a lot of people who think they're totally hilarious and zany who aren't and it's kinda sad and also a little funny that they're not aware of that.

Psyco: No not really. I'm actually trying to point out that I think he's being ridiculous if he's actually getting offended or upset by what Mohawk52 said. I chose the Merry Christmas thig becuase thats I feel that both this and that are the exact same situation. People being overly sensitive.

Zac: Rolling Eyes Yeah sure you're not mad at all. I mean, if you were mad you'd probably have resorted to childish personal attacks and CLEARLY that hasn't happened.

Evidently, I hit the nail on the head before when I jokingly said: Rabbits are serious buisness. Sorry I'll make sure to be more careful next time I'm discussing that topic cause evidently some people can't take a joke.

BTW I don't think Im being "Hilarious and zany".
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
To be fair I also get pissed off when a human goes into the wild & gets eaten by an animal (or in the zoo) & then the animal is killed for doing what animals do. What did you expect? It's their nature. Swim off Austrailia in shark infested waters-you're asking for it. It's their home, not ours. They have every right to snack on anything that looks like dinner.
I was driving to work one morning & saw this dog trotting down the mddle of the road. It turned & looked at my truck like it was nothing but didn't budge out of trotting down the middle of the road. THen I realized that was a coyote looking for any pets any owners had been stupid enough to leave out overnight. Hey, they have to live too & we are encroaching on their lands. My kitties stay in my house.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Rabbits are serious buisness. Sorry I'll make sure to be more careful next time I'm discussing that topic cause evidently some people can't take a joke.

Is it just straight-up not OK for anyone to tell you they don't think you're funny at all? I don't think it's funny, man, and I said so. Not everything is a damn joke to me. I just didn't think it was funny, deal with it, christ.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
How about an adorable hypoallergenic, hairless feline to make everybody feel all better...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
How about an adorable hypoallergenic, hairless feline to make everybody feel all better...

Damn man, if I needed to be reminded of my ex gf I'd simply call her. lol
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Past wrote:

lol, I think a cute bunny (not on a platter) eating a strawberry would make people's day a lot more.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Rabbits are serious buisness. Sorry I'll make sure to be more careful next time I'm discussing that topic cause evidently some people can't take a joke.

Is it just straight-up not OK for anyone to tell you they don't think you're funny at all? I don't think it's funny, man, and I said so. Not everything is a damn joke to me. I just didn't think it was funny, deal with it, christ.

It strikes me as funny that youre telling me to deal with it. You the guy who just threw a fit cause somebody made a joke about rabbits. I have no poblem with you saying if you don't think I'm funny at all. Thats hardly what you said though.

Quote:
It's not that it makes me "mad" it just shows me that there are a lot of people who think they're totally hilarious and zany who aren't and it's kinda sad and also a little funny that they're not aware of that.

If you don't think its funny, you could actually just ignore it but okay fine, if you feel youve gotta say something you dont have to be obnoxious about it. As for if you don't think jokes about rabbits are funny, I do find that kinda ridiculous that you have such an issue with that that you couldnt just ignore it and have to tell the person that thats not funny. In which case, I in turn am probly going to say I think its ridiculous. If you don't like that then perhas you should take your own advice and "deal with it."
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Past wrote:

lol, I think a cute bunny (not on a platter) eating a strawberry would make people's day a lot more.

Quote:
Why is it inside out?

-Ross
Friends, Episode 21 "The One with the Ball"
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that MANY pages ago I figured "why not take the high road" and figured I would ignore or otherwise just leave the discussion alone since people felt I was taking offense at ridiculous things where no offense was intended and I was just being pissy. And now I see some of those people being tempermental about something incredibly petty. So in the future, should I argue points to represent my side fairly even if it's obviously not productive or should or should we all just watch people beat up on what you deem to be idiocy?
Mithrandir2K

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:42 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder, just in the interests of parity, if the people who are complaining about the opinion of the 'ranter' (not an opinion I particularly share, despite being Christian myself) have ever complained about a Western misrepresentation of Eastern religious, social or cultural activities. Indeed, they cannot, otherwise they are guilty of an hideous hypocrisy. Furthermore, anyone who has ever complained about the cultural accuracy of 'Memoires of a Geisha', or even the 'Monkey' dub, should agree with the ranter's position entirely: f(A^2) = f((-A)^2), or 'what is good for one is good for both' - Q.E.D., {that} which was to be demonstrated.

Regarding my personal viewpoint on the subject of the rant, I don't tend to get hyper over misrepresentations of my religious beliefs; likewise, I don't get hyper over misrepresentations of other people's religious beliefs. I loved the original Dune novel - references to the 'orange catholic' bible didn't phase me; likewise, I enjoyed the Muppet's Christmas Carol and Monty Python's Life of Brian. Similarly, I love Monkey, enjoy Avatar, and am finding Sir Salman's Satanic Verses an absolute hoot. That said, if I find something's perspective on my religious beliefs particularly offensive (Da Vinci Code, for example), I simply avoid it and laugh heartily as I spend my hard-earned on a Pratchett book instead. I'd recommend "Small Gods" to those as haven't read it.

-Will
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

It strikes me as funny that youre telling me to deal with it. You the guy who just threw a fit cause somebody made a joke about rabbits. I have no poblem with you saying if you don't think I'm funny at all. Thats hardly what you said though.

Quote:

If you don't think its funny, you could actually just ignore it but okay fine, if you feel youve gotta say something you don't have to be obnoxious about it. As for if you don't think jokes about rabbits are funny, I do find that kinda ridiculous that you have such an issue with that that you couldnt just ignore it and have to tell the person that thats not funny. In which case, I in turn am probly going to say I think its ridiculous. If you don't like that then perhas you should take your own advice and "deal with it."

I guess people should follow the golden rule more often: "Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you". Or "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!"
[Apple]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow the tension in this thread just went from bad to worse.>.<. I think the subject is just better dropped.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
[Apple] wrote:
Wow the tension in this thread just went from bad to worse.>.<. I think the subject is just better dropped.

And I thought a fight would break out because we would be discussing about religion, but I guess bunnies would do fine... Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

If you don't think its funny, you could actually just ignore it but okay fine, if you feel youve gotta say something you don't have to be obnoxious about it. As for if you don't think jokes about rabbits are funny, I do find that kinda ridiculous that you have such an issue with that that you couldnt just ignore it and have to tell the person that thats not funny. In which case, I in turn am probly going to say I think its ridiculous. If you don't like that then perhas you should take your own advice and "deal with it."

You know, all I said was that it isn't funny and I don't appreciate it. Then everyone has to blow up and leap all over me and turn it into a big dramafest. Those stupid "huh huh I like to eat rabbits!" jokes that come up every single time I mention that I have pet rabbits are a pet peeve of mine and I reacted in kind. Sorry if that upset you, but I have the right to say when I don't think something is funny or when I find something annoying. That's all there is to it. This is getting blown completely out of proportion, and it's all because I stated my opinion on the issue and told some people who thought they were being funny that they aren't.

It's similar to what happens when someone decides they're going to be a Komedy King and make Lame, Awful Joke #3845 about Bamboo Dong's name. We actually ban people here for that because it's so tired and obnoxious. Normally I do just let things like that slide, but this time I decided to say something about it. Here's a tip; if you're being annoying and unfunny to the point where someone actually tells you that you're being annoying and unfunny - which most people usually have a pretty high threshold of tolerance on - maybe it's time to just take a step back and be a little introspective for a moment. I'm not saying I'm completely right, and yeah, you have a point that I'm being too sensitive about it, but my big complaint is not that I'm deeply offended or anything by your joke, I'm just pointing out that it's a tired, worn-out joke that gets tossed around every time the subject comes up and frankly it wasn't funny in the first place.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh why not ::jumps into the frying pan and marinates himself in some Worcestershire sauce:: This is really sad. All this angst and anger over freaking rabbits. Religion it seems isn't enough to make people cross that line, no we need rabbits. Rolling Eyes This is really just silly people, can we get back to arguing over religion? At least that was semi on topic.

Yes, Zac did get a little pissy, maybe more then needed, on the subject of rabbit stew jokes. Zac even admits it a bit here;
Quote:
I'm not saying I'm completely right, and yeah, you have a point that I'm being too sensitive about it
. However he does explain why,
Quote:
Those stupid "huh huh I like to eat rabbits!" jokes that come up every single time I mention that I have pet rabbits are a pet peeve of mine and I reacted in kind. Sorry if that upset you, but I have the right to say when I don't think something is funny or when I find something annoying
, he feels that way. I personally couldn't care less about the jokes, but I don't own rabbits so I can see where Zac may be a bit more sensitive about it. I love my cats and if someone made cat stew jokes I'd probably be just as mad about it. As Zac said though all he did say was it's not funny and he didn't appreciate it. He didn't insult or call anyone names. He simply said the joked sucked and was in bad taste (no pun intended).

It seems to me that Zac isn't allowed to have an opinion here. Granted Zac can be rough around the edges (sorry dude but you really can sometimes) but with everyone constantly calling him out I'm started to understand more and more why he is like that sometimes. Anytime he even utters a hint of an opinion someone jumps out from behind a bush to go, "you f*cking loser you suck and you're dumb and a nazi bastard who hates on people!" before vanishing until the next Answerman column from which they can strike again. While often Zac is extreme in his views, for example on loli, they are just that, his VIEWS AND OPINIONS. I guess he's not allowed to have those anymore huh? I don't agree with a fair share of Zac's opinions, and I know the feeling is mutual, but I don't deny him the ability to have an opinion. The funny thing is 9 out of 10 people who jump down his throat here, and blow anything he says out of proportion, are the first to whine and bitch when someone, especially if it's Zac himself, does it to them. Seriously people, I'd love to know why it's so wrong for him to have an opinion of his own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20