• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Yotsuba and RTO

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Quick little comment about the RHYSMYTH review:
Quote:
While the first volume starts out like a typical sports underdog story, it quickly blossoms into something not often seen-a girls' underdog story, where self-confidence and romantic intrigue take center stage, and the raw urge to get stronger is less important.

How is that not often seen in a (presumably) girl's manga (re:shoujo)?

Don't most series in the genre feature a female lead that is more concerned about love interests (getting the boy(s) to like them) and feeling more confident in themselves (usually with a catty rival girl for the lead to feel competitive with)?

I fail to recall a action-adventure or competition series with a female lead that DOES focus on the character's lofty goals career wise or competition wise and doesn't question her self worth.

I wouldn't mind seeing a shounen series with an ambitious female lead that isn't constantly boy-struck and actually has confidence in herself.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing a shounen series with an ambitious female lead that isn't constantly boy-struck and actually has confidence in herself.

Claymore. *grins* But I'm sure that's not exactly what you had in mind. Wink

LoveCom is such fun, isn't it? The anime is great, the movie was good, and now the manga is finally here. Hurrah! It's just a shame we can't have it in Kansai-ben as well. Woe. Smile
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
That's about as much of a traditional "shounen" series as Death Note (ie. not really), not to mention that Claymore is a rarity (on top of it being more akin to Berserk than a competiton/adventure series).
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
I was being silly. Razz (You did just ask for a shounen title, after all. : )
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah I would also like to see more female characters in manga focus on something other than boys. Be it in shounen or shoujo manga. God knows I haven't seen a character like that since Ran Kotobuki of Super Gals.

Lovely Complex sounds great. I've been meaning to check out the anime, but starting with the manga sounds like a better plan.

Gintama has always been a lot of fun to read, glad it's finally here.

Gacha Gacha had me bored reading it. It was the typical harem fan service fest, but without anything to really stricking to set it apart from it's 100,000 competitiors. I've read better.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
I know, but I respond to internet humor with a startling level of seriousness, for some reason (probably to avoid misinterpreting serious posts as joking).

My bad, I need to call off the dogs. Anime smile;
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
Yeah I would also like to see more female characters in manga focus on something other than boys. Be it in shounen or shoujo manga.

This is why the Saiunkoku Monogatari novels NEED to get licensed. Smile
And more josei, please god more josei. *makes irresistible bambi eyes at every publisher* Very Happy

I highly recommend reading Kimi wa Pet (better known under the inexplicably translated title Tramps like Us), and not just because its my favourite manga. Well, actually it IS because its my favourite manga. *grins* Sumire is intelligent, attractive, seemingly perfect in every way...and so beautifully flawed it makes my heart ache. The story is compelling, the characters multi-layered and believable, the art is absolutely GORGEOUS, and its also tremendously funny as well. Pathos, humour, romance, Power Rangers-style action -- its all in Kimi wa Pet.

And in the meantime, watch Twelve Kingdoms. *grins*
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Ari-chan wrote:
Yeah I would also like to see more female characters in manga focus on something other than boys. Be it in shounen or shoujo manga.

This is why the Saiunkoku Monogatari novels NEED to get licensed. Smile
And more josei, please god more josei. *makes irresistible bambi eyes at every publisher* Very Happy

I highly recommend reading Kimi wa Pet (better known under the inexplicably translated title Tramps like Us), and not just because its my favourite manga. Well, actually it IS because its my favourite manga. *grins* Sumire is intelligent, attractive, seemingly perfect in every way...and so beautifully flawed it makes my heart ache. The story is compelling, the characters multi-layered and believable, the art is absolutely GORGEOUS, and its also tremendously funny as well. Pathos, humour, romance, Power Rangers-style action -- its all in Kimi wa Pet.

Tramps like us (kimi wa Pet ) is an acquired taste though it certainly grew on me. I second the please more josei. Every title you mentioned is josei and they are all excellent.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Invader_Spooch wrote:

Claymore. *grins* But I'm sure that's not exactly what you had in mind. Wink

Even though you were joking, I'd still highly recommend Claymore to anyone who doesn't mind violence and gore. Wink

Neverwhere wrote:

I second that. Yoko is one of my all time favorite anime characters, as a matter of fact.

On to the column. Thanks for reminding me about Yotsubato! I need to go out and pick up volumes 3 & 4. I loved the first two volumes. Glad to here that 4 is more of the same (even if it falters a bit).

Gintama looks like fun. I read a little of the preview in SJ magazine recently and thought I might pick it up once it comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Invader_Spooch wrote:

Claymore. *grins* But I'm sure that's not exactly what you had in mind.

It's funny you mention Claymore, because Norihiro Yagi's earlier work, Angel Densetsu, has just that. It has two very strong female leads, one introduced a little after the beginning, and the other about mid way.

If you really want strong female leads, you'll just have to start reading more shoujo series. It's still rare there, but Yoshiki Nakamura's titles always have them.
konton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Great column as always.

Neverwhere wrote:
Quote:

I highly recommend reading Kimi wa Pet (better known under the inexplicably translated title Tramps like Us), and not just because its my favourite manga. Well, actually it IS because its my favourite manga.

Really? I'm so happy to hear that. I just started reading it (finished vol.2 last weekend) and I love it. Although I wish momo was a bit older, but I guess you can't have everything...
By the way, is it me (it's probably just me) or is it that sometimes the drawings look awesome and sometimes there is a strange line above the characters lips? Maybe I'm imagining things...
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
... Norihiro Yagi's earlier work, Angel Densetsu, has just that. It has two very strong female leads, one introduced a little after the beginning, and the other about mid way.

Interesting, if only it were licensed ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
Ok, WHY isn't the World Manga section graded?

And also, the first section of Gacha Gacha is much better that the total-shift-into-Skinamax second part. And by much better, I mean I'm not embarassed to have it on my shelfs (damning w/ faint praise, i guess).
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
While I enjoy Gintama, I object to it being characterized as the embodiment of Jump -- that moniker has to go to One Piece, which manages to take shonen clichés (e.g. teamwork, fighting for one's dreams, what it means to be a man) and turn them into nothing less than a guiding philosophy that seems new and interesting, even moving at times. Gintama is fast-paced and funny, but I can't say that it quite does all that.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I'll admit that I bought APOTHECARIUS ARGENTUM simply because it had Latin and a pretty boy on the cover, so my expectations weren't that high. And then I read it on the beach during vacation, so I was in a good mood. So perhaps that's why I liked it more than the review. But I have to agree with being disappointed in the trite change of events at the end of each section where everyone kissed and made up.

However, something about the king and his advisors tells me those fakey "make-ups" were intended to seem false, and were really cover-ups for his true intentions, so I'm going to read another volume or two to see how this shapes up.

Oh, and what you said about Osamu Tezuka... I'd love to have his work released in standard manga volumes at a reasonable price. It's sad they're only available through a high end publisher (though they do a great job on the releases).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3