• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailormoon just a silly shoujo anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It appears that Toei, the Japanese company that owned the rights to it, is unable or unwilling to renew the license. But the exact reason is unknown to the general public.

Oh, Ok. Thanks, HitokiriShadow. Very Happy

LydiaDianne wrote:
Which has pissed off a great many of Sailor Moon's North American fans.

But we still have hope!

Yeah, I hope it comes back, myself. I haven't seen the show in ages, but I used to watch it when they played it on Toonami when I was little, and I remember liking it then, so I'm curious about it. I mean, I don't really remember it all that well now, so I wonder if I'd still like it. That's why I'm interested.
Dejiko-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
sailor moon was the first anime i watched, so of course i like it. for the uncut version i've only seen up to episode 10(i think thats the episode anyway >_>) but i've seen almost all of the dub.
Haohmaru Of The Wind69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
My cousin and I wouild watch sailor moon outside toonami. Then I would watch it all alone on toonami. Now I watch it with my mom.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon is one of my favorites. It does get formulatic, and has its repetitiveness. Then again, any show can become repetitive at a given point. I thought it was actually cool how you get to see what the girls do in their lives outside of them getting into battles with the villains. Some of those episodes seemed pointless, sure. But I didn't mind them that much. At least each of the girls get their focus or time to shine in an episode.

If I had to pick the best season it would be Stars. But I only watched half of the episodes from that series. I felt it was becoming real good towards the end. I stopped somewhere around 90. Thought that maybe I should wait for the good parts later and watched the episodes I didn't watch yet. Having watching the first season and Sailor Moon R dubbed years ago I decided to watch them in the Japanese version. I liked it. But only got through around 67 episodes with those. Sailor Moon S and Super S I have never watched, and only seen bits of them here and there when they aired on the old toonami, and didn't pay that much attention to it then.

Is it just a silly shoujo anime? It's silly maybe but it has humor and I laugh at the stuff that becomes funny.

The thing I liked most about it is the characters. My favorite would either be Rei (Sailor Mars) or Minako (Sailor Venus). Rei always seemed cool to me although she can be mean sometimes. Doesn't take crap from anyone and cares about something when the moment gets rough. Also always thought she was hot. Minako was also cool. In the beginning (the first season and Sailor Moon R) she was more quiet and not quite the airhead like she is later in the series. In the later seasons she becomes funnier and not as serious like she was in the beginning. She becomes more outgoing.

As for why I like this series. Because of the action. A show I can remember.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Vuwazy wrote:

The thing I liked most about it is the characters. My favorite would either be Rei (Sailor Mars) or Minako (Sailor Venus). Rei always seemed cool to me although she can be mean sometimes. Doesn't take crap from anyone and cares about something when the moment gets rough. Also always thought she was hot.

My personal favorite will always be Usagi. Yeah, she's a ditz but she does manage to pull up her socks and get the job done when it comes right down to it. And she is stronger than she thinks she is. And she loves HARD. If she knows you, she loves you. Period. That's why she's so successful, because she is able to love so easily and purely.

But, a lot of people may think that Usagi and Rei are not that close. I think that they are wrong. They are opposites in many ways but those differences keep them closer together. Yeah, they say rude things to each other and fight all of the time yet, they are ALWAYS there for each other. Rei (in the first season) was the one who spoiler[dared to slap Sailor Moon when she was giving up on everything and helped her get past her grief of losing Mamoru to Beryl.] And in the Third season, Usagi became extremely upset when Rei's spoiler[heart crystal was stolen. She certainly didn't get that upset when the crystals of the other girls were taken.] For all of their fighting, rude comments, etc., they are the closest of all the girls, in my opinion.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Usagi and Rei definitely have a very close relationship, which is highlighted at the end of Stars when spoiler[Rei is the one who dies to protect Usagi].

Stars is the best season that I've seen, and I have seen in Japanese Classic, S, and Stars. I need to see if I can find the Dark Moon arc from R to watch, because I think I can do without the Doom Tree one, which I pretty much did see entirely in the dub. I got lost somewhere in Dark Moon though, after spoiler[ChibiUsa became Dark Lady].
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I, too, hold a special place in my heart for Sailor Moon...maybe the point is to embrace its silliness and recognize that it helped define a "silly shoujo" standard Razz
Desslar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
This show is pure torture.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
What killed Sailor Moon is the same thing that killed One Piece, I believe. Too much editing, bad VOs....I'm assuming, because I never saw the show (despite my avi). You can take bad VO's and over edit any anime, and make it bad (or worse). That, and a character as ditzy as Usagi can get on your nerves sometimes...

But, in all honesty, I've wanted to watch the subtitled version for a bit. IMO, I consider it a landmark in anime. It was one of the first to be shown in the U.S., it's inspired quite a few other shows, and if you look, a lot of fans started off watching Sailor Moon. Heck, on GaiaOnline, I have a Tuxedo Mask avi (no questions), and I keep getting PMs and comments from fans or people who used to watch the show. Heck, on Gaia, there's a whole guild full of people who love SailorMoon, and all of them have SM avatars.

A lot of Usagi's lines are cheesy, bordering on "stab an icepick in your ear", yeah, but hey, it's a classic.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't actually think the English version of the series was bad. It was editted a fair amount, but for most seasons that really didn't affect the story much, though they did take out spoiler[the deaths of the Sailor Senshi at the end of the first season] which does change a lot. But I still wouldn't say it was bad and as I point out a lot you do have to give the English Sailor Moon a LOT of credit for bringing anime into the mainstream.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree with marie-antoinette. There has to be credit given to the English dub. After all, that is what got me into anime. Yeah, it wasn't the world's greatest dub (but definitely wasn't as bad as what was done to Cardcaptor Sakura) but it was horrific.

I knew that it was edited but the editing really didn't affect the storyline all that much. Now, the last 2 Japanese episodes that were edited into 1 English episode and making it seem like that the Senshi spoiler[just went to sleep or were transported somewhere else] was a bit wrong but you also have to understand the mindset of American Television - Cartoon Characters cannot die because it might harm some little kid's mind [/sarcasm].
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
The only edit that I think is really dumb is the infamous "cousins" thing, which really didn't work at all (I never saw the S season dubbed when I was young but a friend of mine did and she said she could tell they weren't cousins). But that was probably more caused by the fact that they were apparently really rushed to come up with the S script and didn't have time to look ahead and realize that it wouldn't work. This would also explain the many inconsistencies in the dub script when it comes to referring to attacks and other things.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the "cousins" thing did not work very well. Just a Leetle too close body language wise to be cousins.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, really. Just leaving them as friends would have been more appropriate and I don't know how many kids would have picked up on there being more to it than that, since it tends to be fairly subtextual.
banas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quote
When I was a kid, I watched it and I really loved it but through the years the 'fondness' wore off. But I really don't think it's plain silly. It's wacky, yes, but there's also action scenes and sort-of romantic side in it. The only thing I must hate in Sailor Moon, whatever series it is, is the seifuku. It's completely not my type and it does seem silly to fight evil with that type of clothing. I really don't think it will protect them in anyway; I think they should have gotten some sort of battle gear. But thinking again, one of the reasons I liked it when I was a kid was the outfit. How ironic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4