• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach (manga).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Bleach (manga)

Genres: action, supernatural
Themes: developing powers, spirits, superpowers

Plot Summary:
Bleach follows the adventures of Ichigo Kurosaki, a teenager with the ability to see spirits,who accidentally steals the powers of the Soul Reaper Rukia Kuchiki while saving his family and subsequently assumes her duties while she convalesces. Since that event, Ichigo has to fight hollows, evil spirits that attack people.In the process he makes new Friends with special abilities. After various events, Rukia is sentenced to death by her Soul Reapers' superiors for her actions, leading Ichigo to encounter them to save her life. He also encounters former Soul Reaper Sōsuke Aizen, who created an army of powerful hollow called arrancar to destroy the Soul Reapers organization, Soul Society.
Ichigo Kurosaki has always been able to see ghosts, but this ability doesn't change his life nearly as much as his close encounter with Rukia Kuchiki, a Soul Reaper and member of the mysterious Soul Society. While fighting a Hollow, an evil spirit that preys on humans who display psychic energy, Rukia attempts to lend Ichigo some of her powers so that he can save his family; but much to her surprise, Ichigo absorbs every last drop of her energy. Now a full-fledged Soul Reaper himself, Ichigo quickly learns that the world he inhabits is one full of dangerous spirits and, along with Rukia--who is slowly regaining her powers--it's Ichigo's job to protect the innocent from Hollows and help the spirits themselves find peace.
----------------------------------

Well, I decided (and mostly due to me and Ningensei talking on PM) that since we have a Naruto scanalation thread, that maybe I should start a Bleach one as well (although I probably should have started it a long time a go Anime smile + sweatdrop ). I know we already had one, and maybe I should just go and revive that one, but it doesn't discuss what is actually happening in the story thus far. So that's the purpose of this one, unless I can somehow turn the tables on the other one's discussion.

Anyways, spoiler[I'm really enjoying Ichigo's fight against Grimjaw right now, especially now that he's gone into his hollow form. I wonder if he'll stand a chance against him now, since he got beat before by Ulquiora even in his hollow form. Which I think it's pretty clear right now that the Espada are just too darn powerful for them. Meaning I wonder if something is going to happen that'll allow them to just escape with Orihime, which of course saving her is what they're there to do in the first place, and will have to fight against them again with more power. Personally, I think the current arc is just about over, and am maybe seeing the start of another story arc with all the things still left up in the air.]

Last edited by BrothersElric on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yay, you did it!

Ok, so I cheated a little and read your spoiler. Embarassed Hehe oh well. To me it wasn't that big of a spoiler because I always figured that spoiler[Ichigo would be facing off against Grimmjow/Grimjaw (I don't know how to spell it!) again, because he got totally destroyed by him the first time around. I guess from what you said its not looking too good for Ichigo despite him somewhat controlling his hollow form either.] Ah, this is just even more incentive for me to hurry up and catch up! Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
The problem with creating a new thread is that then people will not know which one to use when trying to use the links provided in the Manga Discussions thread.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The problem with creating a new thread is that then people will not know which one to use when trying to use the links provided in the Manga Discussions thread.

Hmmmm, yes, this does pose quite the problem, now that you mention it. The biggest problem is that the other Bleach thread gives you the impression that it's the current story discussion as well. Hmmmm. I don't know, maybe people will be able to figure it out on their own by simply clicking on the links. I mean, there's only 2 threads, it's not like they'll have like tons of them to look through or something.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
In a way, there'll have to be something that give you the difference between the storylines. I guess what you could do is add the current chapter or volume of the manga that you're discussing from, and then I could add it to the other thread.
Blaze_Zero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
The current fight with Grimmjow is freakin' awesome so far.
Just read the newest chapter today, I can't wait for next weeks.
Can someone tell me how to correctly do the spoiler tags? Doesn't seem to work for me ever.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
@Blaze_Zero

Just highlight whatever part you want to cover with your mouse, then click the spoiler button from all the options in the menu when you post.
Blaze_Zero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, thanks a lot.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The thread author has made the necessary changes I have asked for, so now this thread is in the manga discussions thread.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
Ch. 281 was good but as usual nothing much happens. it kind of makes me wonder if they will burn through this arc in under 25 episodes when the anime gets there. Anyway here is a basic summary(This might be a bit out of order since I don't have the chapter in front of me):

spoiler[The fight between Ichigo and grimjaw continues
Grimjaw FINALLY reveals the name of his zanpakto PANTERA and he looks so uncool
Ichigo talks to Orihime
FIght starts up again
Ichigo gets pounded for a few pages
Ichigo unleashes Gensaga Tensho
Grimjaw blocks and is unscathed

Tsuzukui(lit. to be continued in Japanese)]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so I just read chapters 271-280 last night, and all I can say is wow. Ichigo spoiler[totally got beat down by Ulquiorra (my favorite arrancar Embarassed ) only to be healed by Orihime who was forced by Grimmjow, just so Grimmjow could fight Ichigo at full power. Phew. I actually saw the whole Grimmjow/Orihime thing coming and knew he would make her heal Ichigo. I was surprised at the little confrontation between Ulquiorra and Grimmjow though, I wonder what's going to happen to Grimmjow and what kind of consequences or punishment he'll have to face because of insubordination.]

spoiler[Although Ichigo just turned into his hollow form (end of Ch 280), I don't really see how he can defeat Grimmjow. Ulquiorria is only ranked number 4, which is 2 higher than Grimmjow, and I don't really think that is that much of a difference for Ichigo to be able to win.] We'll just have to wait and see.

Oh and is it me or is spoiler[Orhime's power becoming really strong and much more effective and powerful? That surprised me when she totally reconstructed those two minions that came to beat her up].

Man, sorry my whole post is spoilerized. Razz
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
spoiler[I was surprised at the little confrontation between Ulquiorra and Grimmjow though, I wonder what's going to happen to Grimmjow and what kind of consequences or punishment he'll have to face because of insubordination.]

I thought that was a great turn of events myself! I actually thought the 2 were going to just kill each other or something right there, then Grimjaw did what he did to him. That was awesome! I'm thinking Ulquiora is going to escape before they can complete their battle and kill him somehow while Ichigo and Orihime escape. That's just speculation though.

Quote:
spoiler[Although Ichigo just turned into his hollow form (end of Ch 280), I don't really see how he can defeat Grimmjow. Ulquiorria is only ranked number 4, which is 2 higher than Grimmjow, and I don't really think that is that much of a difference for Ichigo to be able to win.] We'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I'd say pretty much everyone's pretty badly outclassed right now, even Renji and Ishida. That's why I'm seeing this arc coming to a close soon, because I just don't think they can win right now, and they've got Orihime anyways. Once again, speculation.

Anyways, 281 was just simply an awesome chapter! I think I'm in disagreement with LightYagami though, I thought, well, as far as fighting/cool stuff goes, a lot of awesome stuff happened. But yeah, not much storywise. spoiler[I thought it was kind of interestng what Orihime's reaction was seeing Ichigo like that for the first time. Just about how you'd excpect her to react, but probably some good drama there. And Grimjow's Bankai form is AWESOME!!!!! Anime hyper Oh, LightYagami, how can you not just simply LOVE that!! It's like Super Saiyan 3 gone demonic! Twisted Evil Just cool, cool stuff!! Cool And the look Ichigo gives in that hollow form at the end, really ferocious and cool looking! How can you not love that? ] But yeah, just simply put, an awesome, awesome chapter! Cool
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hm, well from reading the feedback, I am quite excited to read chapter 281. I really want to see spoiler[Grimmjow's bankai and see how cool (or not) it is! Razz ]

BrothersElric I'd have to agree somewhat with your speculation. Everyone does seem to be very outclassed and there is probably going to be another "power up" or training and getting stronger arc after spoiler[Hueco Mundo]. Heck, spoiler[Renji and Ishida are combining thier forces and strongest moves and still can't beat the Octavio (Rank 8) Arrancar.] So I guess we'll just have to see.
tsukinoken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Woah 282 was awesome spoiler[ Ichigo finally started show some damn skill and started to use some cool tricks though it still seems he's having a harsh time Orihime is really a distraction being there Mad . I wonder if Ichigo will turn into his full hollow form in order to win] Hope fully he doesn't lose himself in the process of this fight.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Just read 282, pretty darn good chapter. spoiler[The fight between Ichigo and Grimjaw continues to be awesome (DANG I can't wait to see this one animated!!! Anime hyper), but it's starting to get a little scary for Ichigo, seeing as how he's starting to kind of loose himself in it quite a bit. Probably due to some effects of his hollow form, kind of like how it is in super saiyan form in DBZ.

And I'm wondering about these new female arancar people that are watching the fight currently. I was kind of hoping it was going to be something more significant as far as to who was watching that fight, but I have to say my interest is peaked, unless it's just a bunch of unimportant arancar or something.

The ending of the chapter was just great! Ichigo stepping in the way of Grimjaw's attack to protect Orihime, and how their eyes met like that, great stuff!! *sniff*]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 33