• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach (manga).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
. . . .

Did almost everybody else just give up on Bleach after the irritating Hueco Mundo Arc finally ended? It's awfully quiet in here.

In any case, I liked this chapter, and I like where this is going. We've got a new group that spoiler[wants to restore Ichigo's shinigami powers], but we don't know their motives.

Hmm, Bleach is up, while Naruto seems down in quality in this current arc. The universe is balanced, apparently.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Bleach chapter 540: Whoa. I'm floored by Bleach. Seriously. For the first time in years.

spoiler[Orihime opened up and spoke about her parents. Note that her parents are not dead. Note that they were mysteriously violent, possibly to a murderous degree, around the time Orihime was a child.

Note that in order to become a fullbringer, one's parents must've been attacked/influenced by hollows around the time you were born.

My mind is officially blown. Is it possible that there is more to Orihime and her parents backstory than meets the eye? If Ichigo's father turned out to be a Shinigami...and Orihime's brother became a hollow right after death...and Orihime's powers are the most powerful in the manga...What/Who were her parents?]

Quote Hollow!Sora from Bleach chapter 6:

Quote:
spoiler["Our mother was a whore, our father a devil. When a child would cry, they would hit it until it stopped. That's the kind of people they were...And then, on the March I turned 18, I took my sister that had become three years old, and ran away from that house..."

"She's mine! All of her! I lived my life for Orihime, yet Orihime won't live her life for me! Than at least...She must die for me!"]

spoiler[That's rough stuff. Even discounting that this translation is probably not 100% accurate here, and that I don't think Kubo plans this far in advance, Hollow!Sora recounts some extremely abusive behavior of his parents towards his still infant to toddler aged sister, and the only thing he can explain it with is "that's the kind of people they were."

That can be interpreted in a lot of ways, and does not preclude that they sensed something "off" or threatening about their daughter, or that they were unduly influenced by an outside source. (Please not Aizen, though!!!!)

And then Orihime mentions her mysterious aunt...Why doesn't she take Orihime in? Who is she, where is she, and how much does she know?

Kubo loves to play around with character's relatives, that's for sure.

So much speculation potential! Everyone, start the crack theories going! Razz

Seriously, this seemingly innocuous mention of Orihime's parents and their violence towards her (and not towards Sora) blows my mind. Maybe they were attacked and influenced by hollows or even arrancars right before she was born. Maybe they are Arrancars!!! Or maybe they were just normal people who felt something strange and even evil had possessed their daughter...

Man, Kubo, expand on this RIGHT NOW!!! I demand it.

In other, more predictable news:
--the Fullbringers, especially Ginjou, have less-than-good intentions and can't be trusted
--Riruka is feeling guilty.
--Tsukishima is possibly not the badguy we were led to believe he is.
--The "mysterious Shinigami" has yet to be revealed.
--Evil and unnecessary eye violence occurred in this chapter, and I do NOT approve! Razz (I have a condition that can cause serious eye pain, no AHHHH! to eye slashing! Nightmare fuel!!!)

But all this pales in comparison to the mystery of Orihime's parents, and her aunt, and WHERE ARE THEY NOW????]
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
@Agent355

See, I'm much more skeptical a reader than you. As interesting as the points that you brought up are, those are your interpretations and speculations of what you think Kubo is planning. I on the other hand have no faith in him at all as a writer. His characterization and character development have thus far through 450 chapters been piss poor and his series has just managed to get by on being nothing more than style over substance. If there was something that I liked about this week's chapter, it was the humour involving Orihime.

Knowing Kubo, what he brought up won't be of any relevance for another few hundred chapters. Heck, it took him 444 to bring up Orihime's past again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've gotta say, I'm a bit more skeptical, too. No offense, but I think you may be reading a bit too much into this, Agent33. I mean, spoiler[weren't Chad's powers already revealed to essentially be a fullbring? So it's not that surprising that Orihime's would be the same, especially since she uses her hair clips. My only question is, why did they need Ichigo to awaken their powers for them?

I just don't think Orihime's parents are going to be that important. If they had powers themselves... they probably weren't very advanced, if their son was able to escape them with his sister, no problem. If they could just sense Orihime's powers themselves... so what? That whole bit almost seemed to be more about Riruka, who I especially don't care about. Or, y'know, just about Orihime reaffirming how much Ichigo means to her, blablabla. I'll be surprised if they even come up again, and unless they're of Isshin's caliber, I'd really rather they didn't, because, honestly, I'm much more interested in his past, and whatever's going on with him right now. Who is the mysterious shinigami he and Kisuke are meeting with? That's what I want to know! I actually read the beginning of your post and got all excited, thinking that's what this chapter would be about, only to be let down by more Orihime/Ichigo training nonsense Anime hyper]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on Bleach when the Hueco Mundo arc finished, but I'm still interested in the off chance that it does do something like what Agent355 speculates. As such, could someone explain what a fullbringer is?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I gave up on Bleach when the Hueco Mundo arc finished, but I'm still interested in the off chance that it does do something like what Agent355 speculates. As such, could someone explain what a fullbringer is?

Let's see, a full bring is spoiler[kinda like a zanpaktou in that you could say it's the manisfestation of a person's spiritual power in an object that holds a deep meaning towards them. How kubo explains it is that there is spiritual power in every object in the world and that humans with spiritual pwer are able to draw it out and to alter the shape of the object according to their will. At least that's how I understood it. With Chad his objects are his arms, or was it his skin that he inherited from his family? And with Orihime it's her hair clips which she got from her brother].

Still, I'm not too enthralled by the idea of Fullbringers and this arc. Whereas the Hueco Mundo and Aizen arcs felt like they were rushed through at such a lightning speed pace, this current arc just feels so tediously long and drawn out. That and I'm tired of Kubo bringing in more characters that wind up as being nothing more than stylish, under developed throwaway shells.

Let's face it, he just creates these powers to explain things about Ichigo and the main cast and then will throw them away. Biggest example? The Vaizard, just there to explain Ichigo's hybrid of Shinigami and Hollow. After that they were pretty much useless and didn't really factor into the outcome of the last arc. Seriously, if you thought they were helpful cause they help beat a couple of the Espada then you're fooling yourself cause Aizen eventually got rid of the last surviving one on his own and didn't really need them to fight anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Still, I'm not too enthralled by the idea of Fullbringers and this arc. Whereas the Hueco Mundo and Aizen arcs felt like they were rushed through at such a lightning speed pace, this current arc just feels so tediously long and drawn out.

Fights that drag on for a dozen chapters was rushed?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I have only one response to your criticism of my theory:

"I want to believe!!!" Laughing Very Happy

Last week's chapter actually had Orihime doing something to protect herself! After a whole arc of only being able to say "Kurosaki-kun" that's major character development!

I know that Kubo...well, I think he can write a good story arc if he's given editorial direction and a time limit. "Turn Back the Pendulum" was pretty much my favorite arc in the series. Took place in the past, he couldn't make up thirty extraneous characters, and it had a beginning and end.

That's why I want to see an Isshin (and Ryuken) past arc so badly...

But if Orihime could actually get some real character development and backstory, that would be great, too.

*I feel like an addict, I keep coming back even though the high is never good anymore*

In any case, I finally think this arc has something interesting in it, as far as Riruka's guilt stricken face indicates. The Fullbringers will probably turn out to be bad guys (or at least, not trustworthy at all) and not all of them will be on the same page.

Predictable to an extreme, but anything's better than Aizen.
I hope so, at least!
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:
Still, I'm not too enthralled by the idea of Fullbringers and this arc. Whereas the Hueco Mundo and Aizen arcs felt like they were rushed through at such a lightning speed pace, this current arc just feels so tediously long and drawn out.

Did the fights drag on for that long? I really don't remember, nor frankly care to check back at all. All I remember is blazing through chapter after chapter in under 2 minutes and so I have this impression in my mind it was rushed.
Asuron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

Did the fights drag on for that long? I really don't remember, nor frankly care to check back at all. All I remember is blazing through chapter after chapter in under 2 minutes and so I have this impression in my mind it was rushed.

The funniest thing about that is the anime has to do the same to get anything interesting out of it
There so little content they even fit 5 chapters in one episode at one point

In fact the only positive thing you might say about Bleach at this point is that the people in charge of the anime know how to make this schlock interesting even if they have to a do a year of fillers to make it happen
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Asuron wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

The funniest thing about that is the anime has to do the same to get anything interesting out of it
There so little content they even fit 5 chapters in one episode at one point

In fact the only positive thing you might say about Bleach at this point is that the people in charge of the anime know how to make this schlock interesting even if they have to a do a year of fillers to make it happen

You bring up an interesting point that I wanted to address. The only thing I've found interesting with Bleach since the conclusion of the Soul Society arc (I stopped watching right about before the Hueco Mundo fillers) have been the Bleach Bounto filler arc and the original film, Memories of Nobody. Granted, they weren't perfect by any means, but they were a hell of a lot more interesting and better written to me than anything Kubo has done since.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I found that both the Bount filler arc and the Substitute Captain filler arc started off quite well, introducing new and interesting concepts, mixing in a bit of comedy with the dominant drama and action, but gradually devolving into a series of drawn out fights. Rather a direct parallel to the canon plot, I find. If we count the Mod Soul arc as an entirely separate story from the Bount one, I'd say it's my favorite plot arc in the entire series, because it forced the characters to combat enemies in a manner that wasn't just "I reveal a new superpower I have gained through training!", but instead required them to out think the "villains".
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
So, the new motto for the series could be:

"Bleach: Our Filler Are Actually Better Than The Source Material!" Laughing Twisted Evil
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I still think the best written character to come out of anything Bleach is Senna from Memories of Nobody. Say what you will about the film's "action", she was still a really well written character for me and the sole reason I re-watch the movie.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Ichigo on not trusting Ginjo. The dude is suspicious as hell.

In fact, I won't be surprised if Kubo pulls a 180 with this arc, and reveals that spoiler[Tsukishima was some sort of well intentioned extremist, and Ginjo the manipulator.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 33