• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TRSI Licenses Victorian Romance Emma, Announces Lost Universe Thinpak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Good lord YES, first nanoha, now this, Lost Universe was one of the first animes i got on VHS, but when i decided to move to DVD the show was out of print and i've been living with just having a few rips to go with my vhs copies now i can get the legit version.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikarisama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Victorian Romance Emma, another title to cross off my "will probably never be licensed list". I just preordered both seasons.
velocet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Aside from being thrilled this series has been licenced, I'm actually a little relieved that there's not going to be a dub, all things considered.

Rather than have to listen to standard American English dubbing throughout, or faked British English/Indian English/German English accents from American actors that sound stilted and forced, I think I'd rather go without. Emma would be amazing dubbed in English, but only if it was done right. As Emma is such a niche title, I don't imagine RSI would be too eager to throw a lot of cash at it to make a truly authentic dub a reality if it's not going to be making them a lot of money comparatively speaking.

The series makes a point of showing the difference between classes and nationalities, for authenticity the accents even between the native English characters would have to be noticeably different due to the class differences that are at the heart of the show's story. Without the cast really nailing it in English, I can't help thinking it could have been a real trial to watch. As the Japanese track is all in a language that's completely unrelated to the setting, the consistently incongruous language track is (to me, at least) more tolerable. If they put a cheap dub on for the sake of it, Hakim might end up sounding like Apu...! (though now that I consider it, a parody dub of Emma has some serious comedy potential...)

It is a shame though, Emma is a series that could have been made even better with a great dub. Still, I'm looking forward to owning Emma on DVD; I love this series, I never thought it'd get licenced!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad for all of you guys who are happy for these announcements.

Funi is my last hope for Ouran High School Host Club and Code Geauss. Crying or Very sad Oh, PLEASE let those be announced tomorrow by Funi!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Shawn was saying, like above mentioned, that it would be hard to find somebody who would actually be able to stay true to British English. So instead of trying to do a dub and possibly waste a lot of money it will be sub only. Shawn also said that they licensed the second season of the series as well. And he did not mention that ADV lost the license to Lost Universe, which probably means that they haven't. I think he also said something about the original dub being in there as well.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Funi is my last hope for Ouran High School Host Club and Code Geauss. Crying or Very sad Oh, PLEASE let those be announced tomorrow by Funi!

Isn't Code Geass a Bandai show? I thought that generally they only get licensed out to Bandai Entertainment or Bandai Visual, so maybe Otakon.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I know the anime is set in this country (where I live). But would the dub have to be British English? If it were me, I'd find British accents hard to listen to, and would prefer regularly American voices for the part. I mean if there were an anime based in India, the dub needn't be dubbed with an Indian accent, right?

Anyway, when I watched the fansub in 2005, I immediately pondered who would suit the voice of Emma in an English dub. I was clueless.
I don't really mind that there isn't going to be an Eng dub for the series, I'm just happy with Touma Yumi et al., and just treat any English dub as a mere bonus to the release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Which reminds me, who from this website (staff or users) was present at the panel? I count myself as one.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
EMMA!!!!!!!!!! Did they get the movie also? This is some exciting news!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Isn't Code Geass a Bandai show? I thought that generally they only get licensed out to Bandai Entertainment or Bandai Visual, so maybe Otakon.

Oh! Well, thanks for that information. BE's panel is right after Funi's, so I'll just keep my butt planted in my seat then.

What I'm surprised about is that ANN didn't mention the fact that TRSI has seperated it's anime distribution division and have named it Nozomi Entertainment. They decided to do it that way so that people won't get it confused with the Store.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
What I'm surprised about is that ANN didn't mention the fact that TRSI has seperated it's anime distribution division and have named it Nozomi Entertainment. They decided to do it that way so that people won't get it confused with the Store.

What I'm surprised at is that they even licensed stuff and released it. Makes me glad all the more that I actually went to the panel.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

What I'm surprised at is that they even licensed stuff and released it. Makes me glad all the more that I actually went to the panel.

And that's why they changed the name!

You were there? Sorry I didn't see you! Crying or Very sad
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
OMG, Emma got licensed by TRSI? Awesome!! Very Happy I'm currently reading the wonderful manga, so I'll surely be buying the anime once it's out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
OMG, Emma got licensed by TRSI? Awesome!! Very Happy I'm currently reading the wonderful manga, so I'll surely be buying the anime once it's out.

You are! Wasn't I the one who recommended it to you? Wink

Isn't this news BRILLIANT? Am still utterly bewildered and overcome with joy. Very Happy
aluria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
*throws imaginary confetti* Yay for Victorian Romance Emma! *pauses* But if both seasons are licensed I have to wait to finish it? *cries* Well least they're releasing them in box sets so I don't have to wait as long. I've gotten to the point that I only buy things in box sets. *goes off to see if Amazon or C&L Multimedia has it listed*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4