• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-07-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I think this should be included in the sites' emoticons; I'd get a lot of use out of it. Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Zac wrote:
I think this should be included in the sites' emoticons; I'd get a lot of use out of it. Smile
Well, you can always right-click it, save it, then host it somewhere to be called up whenever you need it.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Well, you can always right-click it, save it, then host it somewhere to be called up whenever you need it.

You know, this answers a question I had but didn't want to start an entire thread in the bugs forum for it. I have been using emoticons off my photobucket account and I didn't know if I was breaking some unwritten rule about it. Thanks.

Of course I won't go over board on it, like use 5 in a short post or anything like that. Oh and this is a "shooting myself smiley" that I use:

On the current topic.. ahem... eww. No Guro or Elric incest for me.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I was making a joke about the inane--you know, why do I even bother trying? I've had it, time to blow my brains out.

That's better.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:

RANT: Giant robots = more destruction than samurai or ninjas. Oh yah! Very Happy

Ok Here's an Old Skooler Giant Robot Fan comment on the rant

Basically All Giant Robot shows are based on the Morality tale of Good VS Evil, as the giant robot is the representation of the Gallant knight, that's here to protect us from the evil plots of humanity's enemies, the show gets filled with action, adventure, epic storylines, a sense of wonder and maybe a bit of romance with the fate of the country, world, galaxy, universe in the balance.

Althought the great-grandfather of the genre was Mitsuteru Yokoyama's Tetsujin 28, better known in this shores as Gigantor, the show that open the flood gates of the Super Robot was Go Nagai's Mazinger Z, from there shows like Great Mazinger, Ufo Robo Grendizer, Magno Robo Gakken, Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Darku Maryu Gaiking, Steel Jeeg, Tosho Daimos, Voltes V, Combattra V, Toshi Gordian among others.

Arter shows like Daitarn 3 and Invincible Superman Zambot 3, Yoshiyuki Tomino created the Real Robot (Mecha) genre with Mobile Suit Gundam, from this branch shows like the Super Dimension Shows (Macross, Orguss, Southern Cross), Armored Trooper VOTOMS, Armored Trooper Dorvack, Genesis Climber Mospeada and Aura Battler Dunbine among others.

The 80's still were a fertile ground for Super robots with Hundred Beast King GoLion, Armored Fleet DaiRugger XV, Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar, Space RunAway Ideon, also this was the dawn of the OVA that gave us shows like Dangaio, MegaZone 23, and Giant Robo

The the Dark Ages swept the genre, the show responsible: Neon Genesis Evangelion, this desconstruction of the genre gave birth to shows like RahXephon, ArgentoSoma and as a more recent example Fafner.

Also another sub-genre: the Brave show appeared, following the footsteps of the End of Transformers in Japan Takara united with Sunrise to fill the void with giant robot adventures for kids, Exkaiser and King of Braves GaoGaiGar are examples of the genre.

Now in the 00's Revival shows have filled the airwaves wit MazinKaiser, New Getter Robo, Kotetsu Shin Jeeg, Gaiking: Legend of the Daiku Maryu, Reideen and The New Giant Robo project also in the 00 comes the Gian t Robo with Fanservice with Gravion and GoDannar although an earlier precursor could be Dangaizer 3.

Before Evangelion turned your basic pilot into a messed up, angst filled, wishy washy piece of flotsam teenager pilots were hot blooded heroes, determined to save the world at any cost, no retreat, no surrender kind of people, this change in the mecha genre as the pilots have different motivations and objectives.

A giant robot is not a mechanism of destruction, it's the enbodiment of justice and valor, the will of the heroic ideal, the rocket punch in the face of evil!.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I know I've hit the last page of a couple of yaoi titles & wondered why the hell it got rated any higher than CCS because there's nothing there other than a male/male relationship.

Did I misread this or lose the track of the thread? CCS meaning Card Captor Sakura, right? The Touya / Yukito thing is there too but . . . UM, Tomoyo / Sakura?! I mean Sakura is "I just want to be friends" but Tomoyo is "I love her, but I'm happy if she's happy." However, I remember CLAMP has a thing with unrequited love.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
I know I've hit the last page of a couple of yaoi titles & wondered why the hell it got rated any higher than CCS because there's nothing there other than a male/male relationship.

Did I misread this or lose the track of the thread? CCS meaning Card Captor Sakura, right? The Touya / Yukito thing is there too but . . . UM, Tomoyo / Sakura?! I mean Sakura is "I just want to be friends" but Tomoyo is "I love her, but I'm happy if she's happy." However, I remember CLAMP has a thing with unrequited love.

CLAMP is a really bad example for all purposes dealing with yaoi or yuri or straight relationships. CLAMP series have complicated relationship structures. If the pair have no problems and survive the series, good for them (have there BEEN any?)

CCS also had a semi-tranvesite; don't forget Nakaru, heh. ...and relationship between a kid and her teacher.

Some CLAMP can delve into the bizaare <-- Miyuki-chan in Wonderland (THERE is CLAMP's undlying Yuri-ness)....
...or just a bizaare relationship like in TokyoBabylon/X ....Seishiro and his mother backstory.

...but it IS CLAMP...therefore I say its not a good example :3
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

I wasn't trying to use CLAMP as an example of yuri. I was confused as to why CCSYueh seemed to imply that the only relationship in CCS was Touya / Yukito. Thats why I said "Did I miss something?"
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
She wasn't, she was talking about certain yaoi titles getting rated higher than CCS. I think she was referring to ANN user ratings, but I'm not sure. In any case, she's referring to the yaoi titles, not CCS.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

I wasn't trying to use CLAMP as an example of yuri. I was confused as to why CCSYueh seemed to imply that the only relationship in CCS was Touya / Yukito. Thats why I said "Did I miss something?"

Heh, in my own weird way, I was somehow agreeing with you Anime smallmouth

My way of wording is weird...I was kinda playing off your idea of CLAMP's "thing" with relationships...thus all the ranting that came before about CLAMP series relationships that have occured. Heh. Smile

Truthfully, I don't toss CLAMP into the category of anything other that "CLAMP manga" Smile

The CCSYueh thing be as it may about age-appropriateness or whatnot compaired to yaoi (for her comparision) is that, in my view, it is not the focus of CCS...compaired to Yaoi manga where the two guys get together for the plot of the manga. Sure CCS has elements of other relationshps between male/male or female/female characters but Sakura ends up with a boyfriend (as much as I don't like the kid)...it was the plot.

True, I had been confused about CCSYueh's little side-note, too. I've read shonen-ai, I've read soft-yaoi, I've read hard-yaoi, and yeah, I've read yuri. I've never really lumped CLAMP in with any of those...except for Tokyo Babylon (for shonen-ai) and Miyuki-chan (for yuri)...but even that, with me, is rare. I suppose it's based on focus of the manga....
...like CCS is about a little girl gaining magical powers with a cat-like guardian at her side. Clearly not in the same category as 'most yaoi', as CCSYueh was basing a comparision, right?

That's why I said CLAMP is confusing (it makes ME confusing, heh). Smile

Truthfully, fans' overuse of the blanket-term "yaoi" confuses me to extents (even, though, I, too, use it)~ I think "yaoi" and I think of my doujinshi. It makes my eye-twitch to have that comparison with CCS.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thank you, HitokiriShadow and Lady Multi, that clarified it. To continue . . .

I must have lost my mind after reading 9 pages of posts. I was definitely confused. I think (and this is my opinion, I may be wrong) that yaoi titles might get rated higher cause fangirls are more likely to take the time to seek out and rate these titles. CCS is too common, maybe?

Oh and for some reason this reminds me of a parody I saw on the Tsunami Channel about the most H anime

I am not a big fan of yuri. Its not cause I'm girl and I am into yaoi. Its because most of it is boring to me. I'm not really a "romantic" girl. Most of the yuri I have watched are long sighs and searching gazes and sacchrine cuteness. I like action (not just the physical type, even though I am an ecchi girl)

Well I guess since I have written somewhat more than I intended to I might as expand on the post.

I sometimes am a little depressed when a series I have liked comes to an end. It usually doesn't last for long cause there is always more anime out there to get into. More frequently I am pissed off at the way a series ends, but I think I have gotten used to the oddities that are anime and can deal with it now.

Ero guro. Won't touch it with a ten foot pole. I like some strange things but that is some freaky sh-t. MPD-Psycho is weird enough for me.

Anime conventions - I can't comment. My first con was AX and I was just tossed in head first. I walked around with my mouth open gawking like the newbie I was.

Zac the Flakes always get a chuckle from me. And I always adore your kitten pictures.

Rant - I don't really have an opinion as to why I think mecha is popular. I admit I am a Gundam fan. And only really Gundam Wing. I'm not wild about the older ones and Gundam Seed, well, I have to finish it first . . .
Anyway, would it be a total travesty to say I think the DeathScythe was the coolest?
*Runs to for her umbrella, to shield from the sh-tstorm from Wing Zero fanatics*

Edit: added an afterthought
Kyokat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
I think she meant "rated higher" as in age ratings; ie, Only the Ring Finger Knows is rated 16+ despite having nothing more than a couple kisses, while Cardcaptor Sakura is rated all ages.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
No, I wouldn't touch Clamp's yaoi/yuri stuff. It's way too much to get into. There's the argument we're in the same place as RG Vega with CCS-neither gender at least with the English translation. THere's not only Tomoyo/Sakura, but Tomoyo's mom was pretty protective of Sakura's mom so there's actually more hinted yuri (unless one wants to count the short time Lee blushed over Yukito ) and both Tomoyo & her mom fall into that same realm as Marron Glace's unrequited love for his skirt-chasing brother Carrot--characters in love but who won't speak up-willing to watch the one they love be happy.

And I'm not arguing RG Veda either(since it did come up in the joke section at the back). I go with Dogma's presentation angels would be genderless by some interpretations of various writings.

But I have hit the last page of some of these titles rated teen or mature or whatever & there didn't really seem to be anything all that much, so why does it land a mature? Only the Ring Finger is pretty tame--lots of teen angst, but we don't get past kissing & it's, when I check TRSI, 16+. Menkui also doesn't get past kissing so why is it 16+? A lot of this stuff seems like it could get by on a pg 13 or less. Even our couple in bed could make it past some of the shows I've seen on tv depending on whatr they're doing (talking as on the Cosby Show)
I'm sure if I took 3 hrs I could locate all the books in question & list them, but overall it does seem just the fact there's a single sex relationship it gets rated higher.

Japanese have a huge thing about "forbidden" which is all the incest & stuff. same sex is forbidden-make it siblings! Ooooo! Although there's often the cop-out that they're non-related (adopted, step, etc. Devil Does Exist. Hot Gimmick. Marmalade Boy.). And it's safer in yaoi to hit that forbidden territory since babies aren't likely unlike boy/girl incest couples. (Granted, being fiction, babies aren't real in manga & anime, but then there's lots of things in manga & anime people shouldn't be trying at home)
And, hey, look at all those Pharoahs, royalty & the like who paired up with siblings, cousins, etc. That's history, not fiction.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
And, hey, look at all those Pharoahs, royalty & the like who paired up with siblings, cousins, etc. That's history, not fiction.
Quite, and it was the deformed abominations that resulted in such events becoming taboo.

I find it intreguing that some people can see what is probably just a normal friendship between two, or more people of the same sex, as some sort of sexual affair. It says more about the people who's mind automatically twist the vision of two girls, or boys acting friendly with each other into some sweaty hot, anything goes, type orgy that they themselves desperately want to happen to them. Desperate, sad, and pathetic.

Ero guro: What can be said?
I will guess that there are a few people in the world who have a sexual craving that can only be quenched by some sort of violent depravity, but nobody can depict it, and supply it in such quantity quite like the Japanese. I rue the day we see "Ero Guro" paddles at conventions. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9