• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2007 - Geneon Entertainment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In particular, Geneon will be working to put Lupin the Third on these services, since this series has not been profitable enough on DVD.

But assuming enough people pay for those legal downloads, will they continue the series on dvd? Or will they at least advertise what's currently available, so that potential new fans can get what's available and thus insure a market for future dvd releases? I hope they're not just trying to cash in their chips and wait until the license expires in 2009. Although if ImaginAsian decided to get it, at their prices, I'd be one happy camper.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shakugan no Shana OVA. Scheduled for December, this will be available as a stand-alone disc and with a box that would hold both that DVD and the entire first season of the Shana TV series.

Sounds like we need another Geneon 10/$50 sale!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Awww! No new licenses? Man! I want Pita Ten and Harukanaru Toki no Naka de licensed!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping they would confirm/announce MariMite, but it seems we'll have to wait longer. Sad
haplessweasel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

But assuming enough people pay for those legal downloads, will they continue the series on dvd?

I asked that same question after the panel. And they said yes. It seems like they do really want to get Lupin on its feet again - I hope it works out.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Why hasn't the panel video been posted yet? It says on the main page that there is supposed to be on the Geneon page.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Awww! No new licenses? Man! I want Pita Ten and Harukanaru Toki no Naka de licensed!
I happened to be reading some old posts on animenation's forum one day, and John O. said that AN entered negotiations for the Pita Ten license, but the minimum price set by the licensor was at least twice the amount that AN considered to be a feasible price. Maybe it's come down, and I know Geneon is a bigger company than AN, but I don't anticipate Pita Ten getting licensed any time soon or ever. It's too much of a fluffy-pink cutesy kids' series along the same lines as A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, but it lacks Sugar's above-average production values. And I kind of doubt that the P10 manga or the Sugar anime/manga made that much of a sales splash, so the potential audience is pretty small. Not to mention that most of that audience has likely made use of the fansubs by now, and the series itself hails from 2002 and is thus not a "hot" new property to release any more.

It's kind of a shame, I would've liked to have seen AN release it, but that's the fate of series that have too high an asking price relative to their marketability over here.
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Scheduled for December, this will be available as a stand-alone disc and with a box that would hold both that DVD and the entire first season of the Shana TV series.

THANK GOD. I was wondering why Geneon never released a box with the first DVD, but at least I can finally get a box to put all my DVDs in.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Quote:
Shakugan no Shana OVA. Scheduled for December, this will be available as a stand-alone disc and with a box that would hold both that DVD and the entire first season of the Shana TV series.

Sounds like we need another Geneon 10/$50 sale!

It's nice of them to do it as a stand alone as well in case there are others who simply don't want the box. I know, why would you not?! Shocked However some people would want to save the extra money so I'm glad to hear we'll have a choice of getting it with/without the box for the tv series. I'll be buying it with the box of course because I'm an artbox junkie and it makes keeping track of stuff 10 times easier. Otherwise I'll find vol4 under my bed in 2 years randomly heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1