• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - And the Gunslinger Followed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I am sorry if this has been asked before. But will the volumes reviewed here ever turn up in the encyclopedia pages for each manga, like DVD reviews do? Or will it ever show up on the related releases pages, like the Shelf Life reviews do?

It's just such a great resource, it's a shame that it's not archived in the encyclopedia in some form. I know there is the RTO!! archives, but that doesn't help if you are looking for a particular series. Plus if your skimming the encyclopedia, it is great to click easily on the review links on the same page to check out what a title is about, ya know.

That's a really good idea. And I have no clue how to implement it. Sad

I hate to sound like a jackass and say "Google it," but ... I write all the columns offline as article pieces first, and my HTML skills basically consist of formatting, and I don't know how to work the Encyclopedia and Releases sections aside from looking stuff up. So unfortunately, for now, you'll have to Google it. (That search bar at the top of the website is very nice...)

Lots of people wrote:
Ultra Maniac anime vs. manga

I guess I shouldn't be judging the anime since I haven't seen it Anime smile + sweatdrop but Yoshizumi mentions it a lot during the Freetalks in the manga, and the thing that struck me was how the producers were allowed to change so much. It kind of scares me away from watching it, the same way I can't bring myself to watch the Marmalade Boy anime either, because Yoshizumi's love-polygons in the manga are so precise that messing with any of them totally changes the series. (At least Miki and Yuu didn't suddenly develop ultra ninja tennis powers...)

apocalypticPOTATO wrote:
i like the Stephen King reference Smile

Glad someone caught it Wink
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Carlo listed Ultra Maniac as one of the Best he's read?!

There must be some mistake! I loved Ultra Maniac!

Yeah, sarcasm aside, I actually picked up UruMani expecting it to be really dumb and cliche, which it kind of was at first, but with enough twists to make it ultimately fresh and exciting.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jamee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Ultra Maniac get a good review. I love both the manga and the anime. In fact, the Ultra Maniac Anime is the only anime I listen to subbed, just to hear Yui Horie's fantastic performance as Ayu. That alone makes it worth checking out the anime!

I like Mamotte Lollipop, but I think that your review was very fair. All the problems you pointed out are legitimate, as are all the pluses you mentioned. I loved that short story at the end too.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
That's a really good idea. And I have no clue how to implement it. Sad

I hate to sound like a jackass and say "Google it," but ... I write all the columns offline as article pieces first, and my HTML skills basically consist of formatting, and I don't know how to work the Encyclopedia and Releases sections aside from looking stuff up. So unfortunately, for now, you'll have to Google it. (That search bar at the top of the website is very nice...)

True, you can just search for it, but since the capability is there in the encyclopedia, it would be much great to be able to link all of it together. Unfortunately, since the old columns aren't tagged with little "stops" in them specific to each review in the column like Shelf Life is, I don't know if the archives could be linked to the encyclopedia without a fair amount of work, but I would imagine that from here on out, wouldn't basically all the coding and everything to implement it already be established by Shelf Life?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ghost stories are repetative for the most part. There really isn't a whole lot new under the sun, just interesting ways to present the stories so I've been enjoying Mail. I don't even really view Ghost Hunt as ghost, it's more about the psychics piecing it all together, ghost mysteries. One of the fun things reading ghost stories is trying to identify the legends/hauntings borrowed from.
You want some freaky ghost stuff-the first Tales of Terror from Tokyo has a couple good segments. Yeah, several typical, but that bathroom segment in particular-sorry, I'd have been out of that bathroom before any more bodyparts appeared. The elevator bit was well-done, but reminiscent of our (much more frightening) legend of "Room for One More".

Anno is vicious. I recommend Flowers & Bees to anyone who enjoys Welcome to the NHK's descent into the pits of hell for the protagonist.

I'm shocked about Ultra Maniac as even the author in the side talks commented she lost direction--it being her first attempt at a fantasy & she sort of side-tracked into more typical shojo topics rather than swinging for the magical stuff. As someone who leans toward the fantasy stuff. I was disappointed in it overall. Not bad, not good-more average shojo story to fill the spot in the mag it ran in. The kitty was cute. (Yeah catboys). The anime was also pretty middle of the road-enjoyable to watch, but not the kind of thing I'd watch 5 times. It did make a more serious attempt at trying to keep the standard plot devices going, but even it sort of meandered along.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Panty and cleavage count are surprisingly low

Just wait till spoiler[Satsuki] shows up,spoiler[they'll be in high school by then] and you'll get your fanservice. Laughing
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I've never really gotten why Gunslinger Girl is surrounded by so much hype. To its credit it is a very, very readable series that does some very clever things with the tired "cute girls with guns" genre that sets it apart from the pack, but when people praise its depth I get a bit lost. You really hit the series' problem in your review, as it simply doesn't build up to anything compelling. So I'd say a B- sounds about right. On the other hand I would have given Ichigo a lower score as it probably is one of the most retarded things I've read in recent memory...

Surprised to see Ultra Maniac get the nod. Not an all-time favorite of mine (I was also slightly bothered by some of gatsu's criticisms) but in the end one of the most polished shojo titles out there that manages to hit all the classic themes (friendship, romance, magic-stuff).

EDIT: And regarding the import, English readers need more Anno. Hataraki is quickly becoming my favorite thing from her.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
True, you can just search for it, but since the capability is there in the encyclopedia, it would be much great to be able to link all of it together. Unfortunately, since the old columns aren't tagged with little "stops" in them specific to each review in the column like Shelf Life is, I don't know if the archives could be linked to the encyclopedia without a fair amount of work, but I would imagine that from here on out, wouldn't basically all the coding and everything to implement it already be established by Shelf Life?

I'm sure it would be easy to just re-purpose the Shelf Life code, and I agree that it would be really useful, but like I already said, I don't code for the site, I only write the content. This is like ... telling Kaoru Mori to print Emma on nicer paper. It's something beyond my direct control, unless you want to try catching an admin's attention maybe.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Superflyz wrote:
Yep...

Volume 1 (2003)
Volume 2-3 ( 2005)
Volume 4-6 (2007)

And if this pattern continues...

Volume 7-10 (2009?)

Well, According to the encyclopedia:

Volume 1 (11-18-2004)
Volume 2 (3-7-2005)
Volume 3 (6-6-2005)

I thought there was a much longer wait between 1 and 2... and after checking the publishing date for volume 1, it confirms my recollection (and your date). Volume 1 was first printed in October of 2003, so someone put the wrong date in the encyclopedia.

I remember having seen an advertisement poster in Animate Kyoto for the serialization in Dengeki Daiou around 2001/02, so I checked myself for the release date of the first volume. Here you go, vol.1 was released in november 2002.

Edit: My mistake, I didn't realize you were talking about the english edition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As for Ultra Maniac, it got a little too moe and angsty for my tastes. Plus problems get resolved so fast, that there's no motivation to continue.

Oh, Gatsu, u cwazy. If you read shoujo you expect angst; it just wouldn't be shoujo without it.

And moe in shoujo manga? *Blinks.* My brain almost broke there.

Besides, the only time where I felt Ultra Maniac had more angst than it could hold (not to mention it has a noticeable absence of it to begin with) was in the epilogue -- it's fine otherwise.

Kagemusha wrote:
I've never really gotten why Gunslinger Girl is surrounded by so much hype.

It takes violence and spreads it over a delicious bread made up of innocent young girls (the most pitiable human characters around), envoking a voyeuristic emotional thrill out of the audience/reader where it basically is forcing them to feel sorry the lead characters, thereby casting a sort of illusion that some sort of statement of the cruelty of children used as weapons (interestingly, Eureka Seven also deals with that theme, though certainly not in a manipulative way). We've seen a somewhat similar situation before in this form.

However, this is all hearsay, as I've not read nor seen any part of the Gunslinger Girl franchise. Don't have much of a desire to, even if it doesn't develop in a heap of clichés like Elfen Lied does.

Quote:
On the other hand I would have given Ichigo is one of the most retarded things I've read in recent memory...

It makes Love Hina seem like a paragon of excellence (exaggerating, but you get the idea).

And as far as Hataraki Man is concerned, I downloaded the five chapters currently available via scanlations after seeing its mention in the article. I've really taken to Moyoco Anno's art and all-around great storytelling abilities (for what she works with, taking what would be generic drivel and turning it into some highly entertaining stuff). Haven't read it yet, but given what I think of Flowers and Bees and Sugar Sugar Rune, I'll probably love it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2