• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megatokyo to Publish in Japan via Kodansha

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
This says something about the state of OEL today.

I'll let you guys figure out what that something is.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Fred Gallagher and all, but like everyone else I think there are better OEL manga out there to pick up. Plus, Megatokyo has a very "American anime-fan" sense of humor, I dunno how well that would translate overseas.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! it just shows you that hard work will bring big rewards. When this book comes out, I'll be the first one to buy one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah: What hard work? The guy uses a half-assed doujin style and relies on otaku jokes. And his comic already got kicked around by two publishers. I'm guessing the only reason Gallagher's getting published in Japan is he blew the right people.
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Congrats to Fred! It's such an amazing leap for him! Very Happy
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ranmah: And his comic already got kicked around by two publishers.

Uh, please don't cast unfounded aspersions. The first publisher, Studio Ironcat, folded due to alleged embezzlement in the upper management that had nothing to do with Megatokyo. As for the second publisher...did you not noticed it was DARK HORSE who help pushed this Kodansha deal? Dark Horse even sells Megatokyo on its website still. Instead of being "kicked around" by two publishers as you falsely claim, Megatokyo has been supported by THREE publishing companies: Dark Horse, CMX, AND Kodansha. Not to mention the editions in German, Polish, Italian, and French.

Quote:
I'm guessing the only reason Gallagher's getting published in Japan is he blew the right people.

According to the news article, Kodansha approached Gallagher, not the other way around.

Do you expect people to take you seriously if you make an unfounded claim of sex for favor?
Kibate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
and so the flaming begin
seriously, he may be just an "otaku" like us, but he still managed to get some popularity. It doesn't involve magic or anything(maybe not even talent), he just done the right thing at the right time and managed to hold onto it until...now, that's what most mangaka/comic-artist do. I've seen already A LOT of really great artist in the web that would blow your mind if you saw these in a regular comic book, but for some reason they can't get it done.
The ability to draw pretty picture isn't the only thing someone requieres to become popular
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not the biggest fan of Megatokyo, but from his point of view this probably feels like the ultimate wet dream.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:

Is Megatokyo really considered a megahit? I didn't think it was very big, outside its niche crowd.

Megatokyo is a megahit in terms of OEL properties, You can count on one hand the number of OEL's that have sold more than 20,000 copies.

Megatokyo was a megahit in terms of web-comics traffic wise, but it's traffic growth has slowed down while other's have overtaken it by far.

Alexa Comparisson

this one's fun too

Should be noted though, Alexa is often a little (sometimes very) inaccurate.

Personally I thought Megatokyo was better (funnier) back when Largo was involved, but regardless I remain a fan today and visit the site 3 times a week.

-t
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
im so happy for Fred. I love his OEL manga.

EDIT

after thinking a bit about it...(this is one of those life questions) Why is it everytime someone in our community rises up and gets a good opprotunity or something happens to expose us in a more favorable light ; we bash ourselves even though a good majority of us wish for the very same thing.

How many anime fans have had ideas they wanted to get translated into japanese? Considering how well this goes he might be able to get it adapted into a show. (which I would love btw!) I'm sure more than half of Answerman's flakes ask how to do what Fred's doing.

....and GATSU. Why all the Megatokyo hate. You've got to admit that (regardless of his art style) he's stil getting a major chance here that not many OEL manga artists/authors can say they've gotten.

minakichan wrote:

that it's getting better? or were you going to say something along the lines of: it's ripping off real authentic japanese manga so much that its good enough to grace there store shelves?

If that's not what you were thinkg I'm- you left it open for me to guess.[/b]

Last edited by britannicamoore on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:28 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Why don't you share your insight with us instead of giving vague, worthless comments like this one?
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I'd kill to see an anime adaptation...

Well, mainly because I haven't been keeping up with the comic; I'll get down to reading it all one of these days... for serious.

That said, this is cool news.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
linlinchan wrote:
Weird that it's going to be in Faust, though... not only because of the sporadic publishing schedule but also because it doesn't really mesh with the other stuff in the magazine.

It's pretty much exactly the kind of thing Faust publishes.

Now if only they would pick up Scott Pilgrim...

Sorry, in my mind I just can't make sense of how it meshes with the Nisioisin and Otsuichi work that dominates Faust. Some of the other international stuff that's run in the magazine (those Taiwanese comics, Thom Jones' "Cold Snap", etc.) worked because they have a popular and accessable, yet stylish, highbrow (I GUESS that's the word I'm looking for, but it feels a little wrong, sadly) sort of feel, but I don't see Megatokyo that way at all.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:05 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Wow an OEL licensed to japan. Is this a milestone?

This gives new hope to me as a amateur manga-ka.

Confused

I'm sorry. I'm sticking to my guns here. Unless you're living in Japan and publishing there, you're not a manga-ka. If you're in America, you're a comic book artist or, even better, a cartoonist.

You're not Japanese. Get over this fact. And I don't mean to attack you or single you out. There are many who subscribe to this school of thought and I keep telling every single one of them they are simply wrong to use that Japanese term for themselves. For goodness sake's, what's wrong with speaking in English terms?

I think Megatokyo and moreso its fans and imitators are some of the worst when it comes to this redefinition of terms that I argue to be baseless and cheap.

I have two friends who currently have or are about to have webcomics up and running. Never mind a number of artists I follow on various professional and amateur levels. They don't call their work manga. I like how one of them says he more prefers the term cartoonist for his work. Hell, even I once did an Evangelion parody webcomic years ago and that sure the hell wasn't 'manga'.

I keep saying it, OEL manga is a myth purported by people trying to hawk their product as Japanese. Get over it, Fred, you're not Japanese. I'm glad you're being published in the country you love so much, but it's still not authentic manga.

Of course, this isn't the first time I've commented on your using that term.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=334612#334612

Andrew Cunningham wrote:

Now if only they would pick up Scott Pilgrim...

Now there's an amazing graphic novel series. Both the wonderful publisher (Oni Press) and creator (Brian Lee OMalley) use the proper term.

Manga isn't a style. Manga isn't a publishing format. It has too much variety to fit one style or format. Manga is just comics originally published in Japan. Anyone who claims it to be more than that is redefining the term for their own gain or just never understood manga to begin with.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Manga isn't a style. Manga isn't a publishing format. It has too much variety to fit one style or format. Manga is just comics originally published in Japan. Anyone who claims it to be more than that is redefining the term for their own gain or just never understood manga to begin with.

Manga is comics. It's as simple as that, just the word in a different language. Saying manga is only comics originally published in Japan is an American redefinition of a foreign word.

But on topic, it's interesting news. I might look into buying the JPN edition when it comes out....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5