• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Shojo Beat discussion thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Thank you, marie-antionette! I think you're right about Kaname and Yuuki. I went back and read the chapters relating to this and came to the same conclusion. My theory is spoiler[Kaname's body is that of Yuuki' s biological brother but Rido inserted the ancestor soul in his body. The problem is that story so far has been somewhat vague as to exactly what Rido did to Kaname but reading between the lines, it appears this is what he did.] Plus it may explain the change in personality that Aido and some of the Night Class noticed after his parents' death. I believe when they first met Kaname as a child, he had not yet been harmed.

Yes, that actually works quite well. I really do hope that re-reading chapters in the next issues will make the whole situation make more sense: as I've said before, I found myself a bit confused when I read scanlations but looking at the chapters as Viz presents them has made most things much clearer.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
Irene: You're not ancient like me, so here ya go. And yeah, Ann is totally grating on me, now. She's like Nana K. post-Takumi, now, and I'm disappointed. I'm guessing the manga won an award before it got to that arc. Rolling Eyes As for Rasetsu, I generally respected Yako more than that other guy, but I thought he was funnier; so I'm hoping this new story will give Yako a chance to loosen up a bit.

marie: Looks like VK's using the Angel Sancuary/Deimos gimmick.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And yeah, Ann is totally grating on me, now. She's like Nana K. post-Takumi, now, and I'm disappointed. I'm guessing the manga won an award before it got to that arc. Rolling Eyes

Yep, which is pretty much why I stopped reading NANA. I have an amazingly low tolerance for that kind of behavior. The series (either of them, really) had better have one hell of an ending to make up for this stuff. Mad

And now I know what "jumping the shark" means! I learned something! Very Happy
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Sand Chronicles continues to annoy, so much so that i just wish what's-her-name (Daigo's new study buddy) and Daigo would get together and the story be about them, just because this couple annoys me a bit less. Too bad about Fuji and Shika, though, I like Fuji, and feel really sorry for Shika, even if I dislike her.

I liked this month's chapter of Haruka more than usual, but it's still lukewarm, not to mention confusing. I'm really hoping that they stop serializing before the series reaches its end, because there are at least 14 volumes in Japan. I've already gotten tired of Crimson Hero, and it's only about 12! Speaking of which, Crimson's REALLY getting creepy. I hate Kaz! And, what's the point of throwing a love rival in so near the end?! Mad

Vampire Knight.....same as always, filled to the brim with teen angst. I wish it were a comedy series...!!! Anime smile + sweatdrop
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
So I found myself amused at people in the survey wanting Emmy Rossum to play Yuki in Vampire Knight. Couldn't tolerate her enough to pay for DB: E, but they think she'd work elsewhere. :lol:

Anyway, on to the June issue. I LOL'ed when I heard that Hikky was into Biggie and Led Zeppelin.

As for the Shojo X-men thing, I only knew one girl in the 90s who read X-Men, so I don't know what the hell that interviewer is talking about there. Actually, I think she was more of a Batman fan. [Well, ok, there was one girl on the Internets who was aware of the early 90s cartoon, but that's about it.]

Wallflower, er, Kimi Ni Todoke, is kind of sweet and sentimental. I might consider it down the road, I guess.

Honey Hunt is finally heating up in the tension department, which is good, because it seemed to be a little too care-free up until now.
Still can't stand Keiichi, though.

Moving on to VK, for an arc which isn't really
spoiler[incestuous], it still milks that angle for what it's worth. It's also nice to know that Yuki or Kaname might be the product of spoiler[in-breeding]. :roll: The fight scenes could also be more exciting. They reek of derivative shonen moments more than anything else.

H+C is bitter-sweet as usual, but the monologue on inner art was what amused me in particular. [Though the way the rant's presented actually resembles American indie comics more than manga.] As for Hagu, I wonder if her spoiler[bond with the her student] is a one-time thing, or if she's developing a spoiler[Shota Complex].

I hate to say it, but it's nice to see Ann get her comeuppance in Sand Chronicles. Surprised Fuji's so easy-going about her spoiler[continued attachment to Daigo], though. Though, with the focus on Shimane, at least the manga's starting to get back into gear. Daigo surprised me by being more emotionally- flexible and introspective than I expected spoiler[when he met Fuji]. Also, nice surprised that Anne might have a spoiler[half-sibling] through spoiler[the doctor and her slutty dad].

Haruka continues with the filler, as usual. Maybe one day the story will actually advance, but I probably won't be sticking with the mag long enough to wait for that day.

Crimson Hero's Kaz is fairly one-dimensional, but I still hope they can expand on his character in future chapters, assuming that it doesn't end up being just another random "incident' with Nobara.

Moving on to the letters section, I'm surprised there are married readers of the mag.

Also, I'm surprised Ayumi survived DB: E to rank high in the "Best Artist" fan award.

Kind of disappointed that Butterflies, Flowers ends up being the mystery josei title, but I hope it's worth it. Not sure if I care for Black Bird, though.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Umm, I'm married and I read Shojo Beat. And for the last time, Kaname and Yuuki are siblings! And it is not a fake plot device! But what do I know? I've only been reading VK for the past several years including the latest chapters from Japan. And no, I'm not bothered by fictional incest stories; I'd still be against Kaname and Yuuki's relationship EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T RELATED cause I don't like Kaname.

I know I'm risking a flame war but flame away, I don't care. I just had to get this off my chest. Again.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As for the Shojo X-men thing, I only knew one girl in the 90s who read X-Men, so I don't know what the hell that interviewer is talking about there. Actually, I think she was more of a Batman fan. [Well, ok, there was one girl on the Internets who was aware of the early 90s cartoon, but that's about it.]

While I didn't really read X-Men comics or know anyone who did, the cartoon show definitely was very popular with girls. I know lots of friends who watched it and I did as well, X-Men was also my second favourite superhero franchise, after Batman.

And there are a decent number of married women in the older part of the target age range (early twenties). My best friend is married and she reads the magazine.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
rin: The author still keeps skirting the issue of whether or not they're siblings by blood.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote
Well, if he isn't, then why didn't he tell Yuuki that he wasn't when she expressed concern about being in love with her brother in the latest chapter? Also, it I read correctly Kaname (I think it was him) said that their relationship would be just like their parents, who WERE brother and sister. Plus, as I mentioned before I'm many chapters ahead of Shojo Beat and the author has yet to specifically state that Kaname and Yuuki are not biologicallly related. In fact, you read between the lines in the upcoming chapters you will probably come to this conclusion: spoiler[Kaname's body is that of Yuuki's biological brother, but his soul was replaced with that of an ancient Kuran ancestor by Rido.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
rin: The author still keeps skirting the issue of whether or not they're siblings by blood.

I'd say it's probably to find a way to let the people who don't like incest sort of have an out but it's a really weak one because biologically (which is what incest laws are about), they are definitely 100% siblings.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
Thank you, marie-antoinette! That's the point I've been trying to make all along.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
If they're physically-related, then why did Kaname, "If I was born as her brother?"
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's a reference to the ancestor soul inside him. Plus, I don't think Kaname has ever mentioned to Yuuki anything about having a different soul or body. As I said, the story is extremely vague so far about what exactly happened to Kaname. But the scenerio I posted earlier seems most likely so far. Perhaps, in the near future, Ms. Hino will enlighten us as to what exactly happened but as of yet, she hasn't.

Hmm. I just had a thought. Maybe there was something lost in the translation of that line. Regardless, of whether he or Yuuki were related, they would be expected to marry because they are purebloods and there are not many left. In other words, maybe what Kaname was trying to say was, "i was born to be her husband." Even though he's biologically her brother, he was meant to be her future husband, just as their parents were.
Drac

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I've never read this magazine but I randomly came upon this news piece and was wondering if anyone had heard about this.

http://alinimag.com/
This website says the magazine will cease publication on the July issue.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like bs. But I could be wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19