• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Shojo Beat discussion thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
My problem with Vampire Knight is that I can't keep the minor characters straight. None of the vampire guys really stand out and they appear for a chapter and then don't appear again for 2-3 chapters. I like it, I just wish I could keep some of those minor characters straight.

While I miss Nana, I'm enjoying Sand Chronicles and Honey & Clover and I'm looking forward to Haruka. Overall, I didn't care for Baby & Me much. There were good chapters here and there and then there were a bunch of dull ones, especially early one. I like Crimson Hero and I hope SB keeps this one in the magazine until the end (unlikely). I can't wait for Absolute Boyfriend to end and be replaced with something else.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the minor characters could definitely use some work in Vampire Knight, though it looks like we're going to be getting more of that, if things continue as they have been going (I've finally been able to remember Aido/Idol for longer than one chapter).

Does anyone know how long Crimson Hero is? The Encyclopedia shows 6 volumes in Japanese but that can't be right since that's where the English release is now apparently and I definitely don't see an ending coming soon. If it wasn't too much longer, than I'd be fine with it staying, but if it's going to take another year or so I'd prefer it moving to GN alone status.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
According to the AoD Manga Comparison Chart its 9 volumes and counting.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
So that is at least another year of material and then some, since it's not done.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
According to the ANN Upcoming Releases:

Skip Beat! (G.novel 8) [200] VIZ 2007-09-04 $8.99
The Gentleman Alliance (G.novel 3) VIZ 2007-09-04 $8.99
Beauty Pop (G.novel 5) [200] VIZ 2007-09-07 $8.99

A very delayed thank you from me. Yume Kira Dream Shoppe is also coming out in September, so I assume that it finished its serialization in Shojo Beat. Could somebody tell me when it finished?

And I'm glad that I'm hearing good things about H&C. I've been wanting to watch the anime for quite some time, but I never got around to it. I was planning to begin the series through the manga instead, with Viz's announcement of the manga several months ago. I have a feeling that I'm really going to like it. Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Dream Shoppe's last chapter was in the July issue.

Also, in addition to Yume Kira and the titles I mentioned, the magazine lists Yurara vol. 2 and Love Com vol. 2.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I really wish Yume Kira was a bit longer. I loved those stories involved and wanted to know more about Rin the owner. I guess if they did make it longer it might hurt the overall story making it too cliche or repetitive.

The art was beautiful and I plan on picking it up next pay day!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I was glad Yume Kira was so short, because I really didn't care for it and wanted it to be replaced. They weren't bad, but they weren't particularly good and I thought they were repetitive and didn't have much going for them to justify going on any longer than it did.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I was glad Yume Kira was so short, because I really didn't care for it and wanted it to be replaced. They weren't bad, but they weren't particularly good and I thought they were repetitive and didn't have much going for them to justify going on any longer than it did.

Well if they put in some sort of antagonist it might of been good enough for a second GN.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

ITA, I only read the first story of the series, and even that I skimmed because it just wasn't interesting me in the slightest. I do however really like that one volume works are getting translated. I just could have done without this one.
Asano Rain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
I was also glad Yume Kira Dream Shoppe was short (same with that terrible Backstage Prince). Now if they had delved into Rin's past or something just a bit, I'd have been more interested, but as it stands, the stories were terribly boring and the artwork was subpar, IMO.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Asano Rain wrote:
I was also glad Yume Kira Dream Shoppe was short (same with that terrible Backstage Prince). Now if they had delved into Rin's past or something just a bit, I'd have been more interested, but as it stands, the stories were terribly boring and the artwork was subpar, IMO.

Eh, it might of helped it a little bit. It may have at least helped fix the repetitive nature a bit. But the art was still average at best and the nature of the stories (and their execution) simply wasn't very good for going any longer than it already did.

Backstage Princes was mediocre and I didn't really care for it, but I liked it more than Dream Shoppe.

Viga_of_stars wrote:

Well if they put in some sort of antagonist it might of been good enough for a second GN.

The nature of the story wouldn't have really allowed an antagonist. Maybe they could have found some way, but I think the author would have been better off simply finding a way to make the stories more interesting and less repetitive.

marie-antoinette wrote:

ITA, I only read the first story of the series, and even that I skimmed because it just wasn't interesting me in the slightest. I do however really like that one volume works are getting translated. I just could have done without this one.

I don't have a problem with one volume series or one volume collections of standalone stories or anything. But Dream Shoppe just wasn't very good.

Also, I love how the issue with the last chapter says to check out the graphic novel to find out Rin's sex and then the chapter in the magazine reveals it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
As of the latest issue, I've officially given up with Crimson Hero. The plot is just getting too convoluted now, I hardly have any clue what is going on. It seems like they are just trying to make the plot more complicated in order to make the series longer, but it's just making it not only hard to follow but also not that exciting either. It's disappointing, since I actually thought that it was a decent sports manga at the beginning. I still love the fact that the team spoiler[hasn't been all that successful in competitions yet.]
ame_de_verseau

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
As of the latest issue, I've officially given up with Crimson Hero. The plot is just getting too convoluted now, I hardly have any clue what is going on. It seems like they are just trying to make the plot more complicated in order to make the series longer, but it's just making it not only hard to follow but also not that exciting either. It's disappointing, since I actually thought that it was a decent sports manga at the beginning. I still love the fact that the team spoiler[hasn't been all that successful in competitions yet.]

i haven't read the past 3 chapters. i just don't care anymore. the main character seems to be moving further and further away from the inital characters............i don't know how to explain it. even the romanitc aspect has lost me.
silverwings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
My January Issue arrived today, including the 2008 calender. Interestingly enough, AB was not included in the calender, but a new series was: spoiler[Rie Takada's Gaba Kawa]. My guess is that it's the series that will be replacing AB once it finishes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19