• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Shonen Jump Discussion thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
If theres a shojo beat one shouldn't there be a shonen jump one?

I was actually wondering what going on with that one. I was a big reader until sometime in 05 and when I tried to get back on I didn't get anything going on. I was a big fan of the One piece manga then with Naruto and Shaman king. Plus I plan to pick up a few GNs at Otakon of Shaman K and One P.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
While I'm still a fan of Shonen Jump titles, I no longer subscribe to the magazine. I have found a few titles that I really enjoy and would much rather purchase the graphic novels than allow the pile of Jump magazines to expand (I have a whole bin full of issues somewhere in the basement). I originally picked up the magazine because I was an avid fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! at the time and wanted to read the manga, but it introduced me to other titles as well such as Naruto, One Piece, and Shaman King. I'm disappointed that Shaman King is going to be cut from the magazine, but at the same time glad that new titles will be there as well, such as Bo-bobo.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I still subscribe to SJ and they're making some changes, mostly due to Naruto. I think Naruto is going to skip an issue or two near the end of the year due to the extra-acceleration of the graphic novels (to jump ahead of the anime again), but should return with the Shippuuden storyline in January. Also, they're inching their way to the end of Yu-Gi-Oh! and I heard something about another story replacing that one early next year (possibly in January). And lastly, they'll be previewing a couple of new manga over the next few months
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm excited to see which series they'll try to pick up. I hear rumors that they might start serializing Bleach in there, and I'd love to see Claymore get put in there. Never really got into Shaman King (though I hope to maybe someday) and I don't really like YugiOh, so it's not really all that big a loss once they go.

As for the series I'm reading, I'll probably start reading One Piece once I'm all caught up with the anime via fansubs (which I'm catching up to where Funimation is going to pick it up by the way), but I'm not sure where the story's going to be in it once I do though. Hikaru no Go I'm watching the anime of right now via Toonami Jetstream, otherwise I'd probably be reading that one (skiming through it once in the magazine, it looks like I'm not that far yet), and of course Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho being the other ones. It's a shame with Naruto though, they'll likely be skipping past what is undoubtedly the best part of the series. Sad Gonna have to buy those ones I guess.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
According to the Comic-con International guide, they will announce that big replacement title at their Friday panel
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
This thread has been added to the Manga Discussions Thread.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I found my September 2007 issue in the mailbox during the weekend, and apparantly, we're not going to be seeing Naruto for 2 months, specifically the last two issues of the year (meaning the Nov. & Dec. 2007 issues).

Here's hoping that we'll be seeing more YYH and HnG chapters (meaning 3,) in (at least one of) those issues. Razz

And also, I find it disappointing that they didn't put any previews of any of their new SJA titles in the last 3 issues (including September's). I wanted to see a little bit of Kurohime and Pretty Face (I've already read Ichigo 100%). What's the deal? Is there a limit as to how many pages/chapters they can put in a magazine or something? I wonder...
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I found my September 2007 issue in the mailbox during the weekend, and apparantly, we're not going to be seeing Naruto for 2 months, specifically the last two issues of the year (meaning the Nov. & Dec. 2007 issues).

Here's hoping that we'll be seeing more YYH and HnG chapters (meaning 3,) in (at least one of) those issues. Razz

And also, I find it disappointing that they didn't put any previews of any of their new SJA titles in the last 3 issues (including September's). I wanted to see a little bit of Kurohime and Pretty Face (I've already read Ichigo 100%). What's the deal? Is there a limit as to how many pages/chapters they can put in a magazine or something? I wonder...

Well, remember, they need to pay for the copies of the magazines they sell, and the bigger the issue, the more they pay. They're more likely to sell more if there's more Naruto in there than if they put Kurohime, or Pretty Face in, because as it is, there really isn't much of a fanbase for those two.

...But, hold on--wasn't Kurohime going to be previewed in the September issue?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

It just got a lame article like they did with Reborn. No actual preview of the manga itself. Just characters and summary.

As for the page count, in the early days it used to be MUCH bigger than it is now. Now it's almost have the size it used to be, and you would think it sells more now than before so they could afford a larger page count.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

It just got a lame article like they did with Reborn. No actual preview of the manga itself. Just characters and summary.

As for the page count, in the early days it used to be MUCH bigger than it is now. Now it's almost have the size it used to be, and you would think it sells more now than before so they could afford a larger page count.

I find that unamusing. -_-

Well, like I said, it's all business. If they can make a small(er than it used to be) magazine packed with a ninja in an orange jumpsuit, and the people buy it, then that's what's going to come out.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
i found it hilarious how they said "with all of these pages, we couldn't add room for kurohime"

Anybody else surprised/annoyed at how they put an ad on the back cover?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Thoughts on Sept. 2007.

bahamut623 wrote:

It was bigger back in the days because they used thicker paper. They've been averaging 360 pages for at least 2 years now, MUCH lengthier than when it first started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Quick question, has Hikaru no Go ever been on the front cover? I have 2 years + worth of issues and not a single HnG cover on them.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
Quick question, has Hikaru no Go ever been on the front cover? I have 2 years + worth of issues and not a single HnG cover on them.

never, and neither was Bobobo and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (thankfully on both).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:

Shonen Jump always annoyed me with their covers. Naruto must make up nearly half of all of their covers. When DBZ was in the magazine, it had almost as many, with YuGiOh seeming to take up most of the remainder. I haven't paid much attention since I let my subscription run out about two years ago, but it seems like Naruto still gets about half the covers and the get one cover a year at best, with some lucky to get a cover at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7