• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Haruhi Suzumiya Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
Does the paperback version have the same extras that the hardcover does (Pictures and stuff)? While I like the cover for the hardcover, I prefer the feel of a paperback novel. It's a lot more comfortable to read. If the paperback doesn't come with all of the pictures and stuff, it's not really worth it to save a few dollars and miss out though.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
It has several color artwork pages and a sample of the manga in the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ClocktowerKyon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Brazzlefrazz wrote:
Does the paperback version have the same extras that the hardcover does (Pictures and stuff)? While I like the cover for the hardcover, I prefer the feel of a paperback novel. It's a lot more comfortable to read. If the paperback doesn't come with all of the pictures and stuff, it's not really worth it to save a few dollars and miss out though.

The paperback and hardcover versions are exactly the same, other than the covers.
Shobob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I think I read somewhere that the paperback will have the same text, but the pictures will be marketed towards tween girls.

The Hardback version will have the original pictures and be marketed towards purists.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
Shobob wrote:
I think I read somewhere that the paperback will have the same text, but the pictures will be marketed towards tween girls.

You sure you're talking about the right book? I don't see how this one could be marketed towards "tween girls" as it's really more a story aimed at guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ClocktowerKyon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Shobob wrote:

The Hardback version will have the original pictures and be marketed towards purists.

As I've said, other than the covers themselves, the two versions are exactly the same; pictures and all.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
ClocktowerKyon wrote:
As I've said, other than the covers themselves, the two versions are exactly the same; pictures and all.
Yeah, this is Yen Press and Little Brown putting the Haruhi books out. It's not like with VIZ or some other company that thinks censorship is cool.

The only thing they've done is put out the hardback with core fans in mind and the paperback with "gee, what's this?" people in mind. Whoever they're marketing the paperback toward, it would be best to recommend it to people you know. Every sale helps.

Just to make clear again, because it needs to be repeated until it sinks in and people stop spreading false rumors: the hardback and paperback have the same content. The only difference is the hardback has the original cover art and the paperback has generic cover art to (hopefully) get non-fans to actually read the blurb on the back and maybe buy the book instead of just going "ew, cartoon book. That's for kids!"
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Shobob wrote:

You sure you're talking about the right book? I don't see how this one could be marketed towards "tween girls" as it's really more a story aimed at guys.

I don't see it having the appeal either, but that's what they are trying to do.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they figure that guys aren't buying books so try the girls? Eh, if they can make it work then who cares. I just want to see the rest of the Haruhi books come over.

How many here have gotten themselves a copy? Every sale helps.
Agoston

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Bought mine last night, I'll get started on it later. Been wanting to read the novel series for a while, huge fan of the anime.
DreamTactix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered my hardcover copy off from TSRI and have already gotten through a couple of chapters. The experience of having the book in my hands has been a lot more enjoyable than when I read a translation the first time online. The localization has been pretty good so far from what I've already read.

I really am hoping that everyone who wants to read it will pick up a copy to hopefully help spur more light novels being licensed and released on this side of the Pacific, especially the rest of the Haruhi novels.
Shobob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to wait until May for mine
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I was going to get this for my birthday, but I decided to skip it for now and save my money for later (I have a plan =P). I hope to get it at A-Cen though; I'm pretty sure I'll find at least one booth with it. Anime hyper

I'm sure it'll be completely worth the wait though. ^^
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
has novel 2 been confirmed yet?
SailorMooncake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
...heh... I'm ashamed to say that I don't have the patience to plow my way through the original japanese versions Embarassed so I'm currently waiting for the english version to come out at the stores next month... Yippee for Haruhi-ism!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8