• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Haruhi Suzumiya Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
I want to have haruhi novel english version (I can't read japanese) for my novel collection. But if you really want to read next story, u can try some unnoficial translation.

I believe they will close the project soon, because haruhi english translation already licensed.

Last edited by abud on Fri May 15, 2009 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClocktowerKyon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I bought my copy, too (the hardcopy) and it's really good in terms of translation. I'm currently at Chapter 4, and I've only had one problem: In the original, there is some confusion over wheather Kyon is THINKING SOMETHING or SAYING SOMETHING, thus adding some humor to the novel. In the translation, while there is still some abiguity, there's more clarity on what Kyon's saying and thinking.

Also, I saw an amazon page a while back listing Sigh as an September/October release. Link to hardcover: http://www.amazon.com/Sigh-Haruhi-Suzumiya-Bk/dp/0316038814/ref=ed_oe_h
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I've read into chapter 6 and this book is absolutely in the top ranks of translated novels. There are always a few spots where you go "hm, maybe this would have been better" but so far I haven't run into something that made me want to beat someone with a nail bat. (Really, this is a solid translation and good for getting the awesomeness of Haruhi in another medium.)

I'd highly recommend getting an extra copy of the paperback for a non-anime fan and seeing if it catches them. The way it's written really grabs a person.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I got my copy today, as well as a whole bunch of manga. I'm probably going to start reading it tomorrow. If I enjoy it like I'm expecting to, I might order in the hardcover copy and give this one to a friend.
Savin877

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Just picked up my copy as well today. Really good piece of work and I am happy to see them finally bringing them series over here.

That being said......

Where is my volume 4 of the Full Metal Panic Novels eh Tokyopop?
MRLN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually prefer the translation on Baka-Tsuki.net since it matches Kyon's whimsical tone more.
However, it's good to see it becoming more mainstream.

Anyway, the tenth novel has been in production for about two years now. Does this mean it's going to be a huge, 500+ page epic finale? Or does Tanigawa have writer's block?
Savin877

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
MRLN wrote:
I actually prefer the translation on Baka-Tsuki.net since it matches Kyon's whimsical tone more.
However, it's good to see it becoming more mainstream.

Anyway, the tenth novel has been in production for about two years now. Does this mean it's going to be a huge, 500+ page epic finale? Or does Tanigawa have writer's block?

The 10th novel has all but been canceled apparently unless negotiations with his entire crew turn out okay. Apparently their is a big financial discussion involved over royalties and salaries and such. At least that's what we hear, until you get news straight from the source though, all we can do is speculate.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I have a theory about the delay of The Surprise. It's made completely out of thin air and is unsupported by any kind of fact, but please just bear with it for a while.

Possibly, in the tenth novel TN introduced a slight change to the Haruhi mythos. By "slight", of course, I mean "punches a gaping, bloody hole into the status quo." Either someone dies or loses his/her powers or confesses his/her feelings (and/or the truth) to someone else - or some other earth-shattering event that would change the plot's dynamics forever. The Powers That Be, whoever they are, vetoed this game-changing event and ordered its removal as it threatened to alter the story's tone to the point it would not resemble at all what it was before the newest novel. Conversely, removing that event would have forced a massive revamp of what appeared in the remainder of the novel - the sooner the event appeared, the more extensive changes the original product would have undergone. Which is why they have taken two years to release a book belonging to a series whose author managed to churn out nine volumes between 2003 and 2007.

Again, it's all conjecture and unsubstantiated at all. And now that you mention it, Savin877, the reasons you mention make more sense and sound official enough. One thing I do hope, is for it to be released at least within the weeks in which new episodes will air or shortly after the new season wraps up. I don't know how scheduling the release within that timeframe would affect sales, but it would make many Haruhi fans squeal with glee Smile
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
Here's a link to SOS web page that Yen Press has set up. There's a preview of the second novel, The Sigh Of Haruhi Suzumiya in PDF format. Ever wonder why Haruhi wanted to make a movie? Now you can find out!

Best line ever: "Don't worry. I won’t be using Mikuru’s body as payment this time."

Also, Kyon references the Punic Wars and Hannibal when describing Haruhi. Ten shades of awesome.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd checked the site out a few times before, but there was never really anything all that interesting on it, so I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for posting this.
mlisette23

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Any news on whether or not the second novel is going to have a hardback release?
Powalen

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the first novel has been/will be released in Australia? I've seen it listed on a few bookshop websites, but when I went into the stores they said they don't have any record of the book in their database.

Any info would be great ^^
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
I have been looking for some, I had to go order it in borders to have it imported from America to Australia.
momamario

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Sort of off the topic of the English copy (which by the way is great, I've read it twice) Does anyone have any info on book 10?
I've read the baka-tsuki translations as well and 9 is quite the cliff hanger!
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/08/31/nagaru-tanigawa-has-started-new-haruhi-novel/

Hopefully this does pan out. The once proud name of Haruhi has been sullied enough with the most recent anime embarrassment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8