• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chase Wang on Anime Expo 2007

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
A huge post that might get me banned or the thread locked, but, after reading one of the most disconnected posts in my long history on the Internet, even I'll admit that the flamethrowers are on on this one!

HayateTokidoki wrote:

The thing is, the "problems" at AX 2007 were not that bad.

OK, let's settle the issue at hand before I delineate how bad you are at being a freaking liar...

Who's paying you to spew this ****??

You want to see why I'm willing to flame you for this, Hayate?

Well:

Point the first:
HayateTokidoki wrote:

It is not the SPJA's fault that S.K.I.N. decided last minute that they needed more time to rehearse. It is not the SPJA's fault that the people waiting in line outside chose not to apply sunblock and got sunburned (I'm guilty of this too).

Well, let's see how we can put this out to pasture.

First off, it is SPJA's fault when they can't ensure that the event goes off even remotely close to on time. Given it didn't seem like SKIN had that much to rehearse _anyway_ (what was it, three songs, then repeating one, then screaming their names into their mikes to see who would get the biggest reaction?), one has to wonder if they had some of the same problems Momoi did and damn near cancelled their show.

As far as the people in the line, of course you should always wear sunblock, but that does not freaking absolve the incompetents at SPJA from putting their foot down and trying to get the show off in time. This show was a debacle from beginning to end -- remember the ticket situation as well? 2 1/2 hours which the attendees had not planned for in the line is just plain unacceptable -- at some point, if SKIN isn't ready to go, call the damn thing off (or at least threaten to). Any competent organization should always reserve that right on ANY guest. It's the only way to ensure efficiency in the event.

Point the second:
HayateTokidoki wrote:

It is not the SPJA's fault that people expected to bring food and drinks into the arena when there were huge and very clear signs posted in front of all the entrances saying that you could not bring food and drinks in.

Signs that can be seen as far away as Anaheim, right?

I brought some food Thursday (day 0) to eat at the con (there was no freaking way, unless forced -- and I was) to eat at con center prices. Once I saw the signs, I knew what was up: They were going to fleece us for every f*cking dollar they could get off of us.

There was a good reason for this: Since the con center and the arena security had probably adjudged weeks before SPJA incompetent to run their own con (by comments made that the staff had to be "pushed around" by LBCC or ProStaff -- the only alternative being the entire show's cancellation), they were fully prepared to cancel the show. The only reason they didn't was they realized how much money they could directly make/fleece off of the attendees for food and drink, and indirectly make from other AX avenues.

I can understand your argument _maybe_ the second or the third time they come to the con center, but not the first time. Sorry, Hayate, I'm not buying it.

Point the third:
HayateTokidoki wrote:

It's not the SPJA's fault that people were geniuses and expected to be able to bring huge cosplay props into an arena where everyone had assigned seats and space was limited.

Someone forgot to tell you that this is an anime convention in which cosplay is a key part.

Again, this kind of stuff needed to be cleared between the relevant parties (AX/SPJA and ProStaff/LBCC) long before the convention was to take place. That it wasn't (one of many reasons there was an apparent functional takeover of the convention by the LBCC) IS their fault -- one of many omissions which make us question whether SPJA could even run an Anime Los Angeles-size con, much less an AX.

Basically, either one has to account for props that size or ban them - but, whatever decision is made, it has to be discussed by the parties beforehand, and it clearly was NOT.

Point the fourth:
HayateTokidoki wrote:

It's not the SPJA's fault that the LBCC staff that they were contractually obligated to use turned out to be a bunch of incompetent a-holes in 2007 when they were perfectly fine the last time AX was held at LBCC. If anything, why aren't people writing to the LBCC to gripe about their staff?

Apparent functional takeover of the con, Hayate.

And I'll give you another reason I believe this to be true. They had already found and contracted a new venue for 2008. There was no denotation as to a site or a date for next year in the program book. That leads me to believe two things:

1) LBCC was not bringing them back at any price for 2008. So AX/SPJA has been functionally run out of Long Beach.
2) And (restated from above) the ONLY reason 2007's AX was allowed to take place was because of the revenue it could bring to the con center.

(And, given their distaste for the whole AX debacle, why would they not raise Hell at AX at that point?)

And, understand, they aren't going back to Anaheim either -- they've been functionally run out of there too. Why else would the AX/ACC relationship be severed by a con *half its size* (the Shriners advertised an estimated 20000 for their attendance this year)?

Point the fifth:
HayateTokidoki wrote:

The food situation was a million times better than Anaheim.

Huh?? If you believe that, I want to know what recreational drugs you are on and could you please send me some, because they have to be good for me to believe that.

Better than Anaheim, where a 15-minute walk could give you any of a smorgasboard of different options (and they could handle the capacity required -- heck, they're right near Disneyland, after all!!) -- at all hours of the day or night?

Shyeah and right.

Point the sixth:
HayateTokidoki wrote:

The convention center was a bit spread out, but again, if you really think it was that far and that much of a hassle to walk from the arena to the vendor hall, you're lazy and/or out of shape which is also not the SPJA's fault.

"Not-so-nice person" doesn't cut it, censors. (Yeah, this post is either getting deleted or the thread is about to get locked -- but this degree of tomfoolery cannot be ignored, people!)

And on top of that, even though the distance might not be an issue, the thing was configured like a freaking maze!!

OK, since it's so damn easy for you, how do you get from the registration hall/film room theatre to the con center *cleanly*, without having to run all over half of God's creation to get there?

Now, repeat the question with the dealer's hall exit to just about anywhere other than the Matsuri festival and the arena.

Repeat the question with Video Room 1 to Video Rooms 2 and 3.

Getting warm yet? Or are they paying you enough that you actually believe what you're saying??

Point the seventh (more like another part of the first point):
HayateTokidoki wrote:

I understand that there were delays with a lot of events, but that is standard with any con or major event like this. There were issues at the SOS Brigade concert, but that was put on by Bandai Entertainment. AX staff did not handle the stage and equipment set up for that event, so again, not something they did wrong or were at fault for.

Gee, the more you deflect, the more you sound like you DO work for AX.

As far as the delays, they were unacceptable, seriously altered/destroyed people's plans for the con (what, you expect them to take a seating-concert combination of 2 hours and budget 12, between the lines and the delays?), and showed absolute disorganization on the part of the people running the con. At some point, if the delays are that far excessive, then either events have to be scrapped or someone has to be held accountable.

As for the SOS Brigade: At some point, if it's being held at AX, AX is responsible. If they're truly in charge of their own con, then, at some point, if the show is _THAT BAD_, then something to the effect of "get the show right or we're pulling the plug on it!" has to be invoked by AX/SPJA -- for the good of their con and their reputation.

Point the eighth (probably some specifics from the earlier points):
HayateTokidoki wrote:

And again, I can't stress this enough: you guys have no idea what kind of problems can come up with concerts if you didn't go to Jrock Revolution. The microphone cut out on the vocalists of a couple of the bands, to the point that I couldn't recognize the chorus of one major single from my favorite band. The drummer of Merry was trying to talk to the crowd and the mic cut out more than it actually worked. The line situation was horrible (waiting in line outside on the streets of LA overnight with no security or police is definitely not ideal). Their will call situation was absurd. If you waited overnight in line to get pit access and had to pick up will call tickets, you were moved to a different line about an hour before doors opened and weren't let in until the pit was full and you were stuck in some crappy area in the back or really far to the side.

All stuff that damn well should've been attended to by AX, especially when the *CONSCIOUS DECISION BY ANIME EXPO/THE SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF JAPANESE ANIMATION* was to make this a concert-intensive convention this year!!! If those problems are that freaking common with J-rockers, then there should've been a massive effort for this entire year beforehand (like there should be one this entire year now to ensure safety of the sorry people that are going to subject themselves to AX 2008) to recognize the problems and DEAL WITH THEM -- else, focus their energies elsewhere.

So, yep. They're at fault for those too -- absolute lack of foresight and planning.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

I have been attending AX for six years now, and honestly the only thing that was worse this year than in the past few years was the obnoxious fans complaining about everything.

Yep. You just want us to go away. More room in the sandbox for you.

Well, I will. I'm being banned from future AX's for raising Hell about things they don't want to hear about or do anything about. (Not to mention what I would be prepared to do to ensure my safety in the area around the LACC.)

I don't think it's going to matter -- I think they're toast within one more year or maybe two, and I'll address that below too.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Honestly, every year I attend I just get more and more disgusted with the anime fandom and how completely selfish and unreasonable they are.

I would say that there is a serious disconnect between American and Japanese ends of all this in that regard -- that might be the first thing you've said intelligently in this entire post!

BUT:

That *DOES NOT* excuse rank incompetence to the level that the people who run ALA could probably have done a better job with AX than the people who ran AX -- and ALA had its serious foibles too.

It comes down to competence, planning, execution. Without those, you can't have a con of this size. Period.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

These "problems" that were so horrible and threaten to end AX altogether if there's one more year like this one (I can't even begin to comprehend how delusional someone would have to be to come to that conclusion)

Well, here's the answer of why from the person who stated that conclusion:

One more like this and they are done.

They've already suffered significant reputational damage from the likes of Ms. Momoi and probably discontent from most of the concert performers (for various and sundry reasons, some discussed). Do you think they'll go back to Japan and encourage other people to join them and work with SPJA, much less go back for another go themselves??

HELL NO!!!

They've been run out of Anaheim (basically, to go back to Anaheim, they'd not only have to change their date but reg-cap at 40K (why they didn't do the latter this year is beyond any comprehension of mine!!)), and they've now been run out of Long Beach (see above). What happens next year if LACC craters like LBCC did this year? No more AX, because they'll have no further venues to hold it (they're not going to San Diego).

One more like this, and you'll probably see lawsuits for gross negligence (especially if our concerns about the "element" in the area are proven out and if it can be proven that they were as slipshod with security at and around the LACC as they were with basically everything this year). And before you produce the implied waivers, the California Supreme Court recently (as in after AX 2007) ruled that parties who sign waivers to participate in sports and recreation programs have the right to sue if they can prove extreme negligence by the parties whom they are suing. Even a couple such lawsuits would surely torpedo AX.

Answer that for me.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

*The next paragraph is not directed at any one person, but simply a rant towards all the whining brats I've come across here and on the AX forums.*

So again, to put it quite bluntly, get over it. The problems at AX weren't the end of the world. They didn't ruin the con.

You're an idiot if you think they didn't ruin the con for a lot of people. In fact, once it ruined the con for enough people, the cloud over the convention spread like a "ripple effect" to other attendees of the con.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

They didn't cause irreparable harm to anyone. AX isn't out to get you and your friends.

No, they're out to get our money and nothing more.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

AX doesn't owe you any sort of refund or financial compensation because the event didn't revolve around you and what you wanted to happen. AX doesn't need to bow down and kiss your feet to apologize for the horrible things they didn't do to you.

How about a meaningful apology and an actual belief that they will do anything about it?

HayateTokidoki wrote:

If they have another year like this one, they'll just have another year after that, and another year after that, and so on. AX isn't going to fall apart and disappear because of a handful of brats whine about their horrible experience on a couple forums. That just isn't realistic and it's not going to happen.

Oh, yeah... Completely crap all over the guests and the attendees and the venue and the security.

You know, you just proved something to me:

AX _IS_ the freaking HMS Titanic!

You just told us that it can't be sunk.
HayateTokidoki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
First off, it is SPJA's fault when they can't ensure that the event goes off even remotely close to on time. Given it didn't seem like SKIN had that much to rehearse _anyway_ (what was it, three songs, then repeating one, then screaming their names into their mikes to see who would get the biggest reaction?), one has to wonder if they had some of the same problems Momoi did and damn near cancelled their show.

As I have pointed out numerous times (and this is probably the best example of the fact that you are just looking for reasons to gripe and can't be bothered to pay attention to the responses people give), they played four songs, one of which was split into two parts by solos and introductions.

Moving along, the SPJA is not at fault that the band demanded more time to rehearse and do sound checks. Understand the situation. This is a brand new band, comprised of major talents from hugely popular bands. They didn't want to disappoint their fans. They wanted the show to be perfect because this was their WORLDWIDE DEBUT.

And why exactly must one wonder if they had problems and almost canceled their concert? Because as far as I can tell, that's you just making random crap up with no basis in fact or reasonable assumption to give yourself more of a reason to complain.

starcade wrote:
As far as the people in the line, of course you should always wear sunblock, but that does not freaking absolve the incompetents at SPJA from putting their foot down and trying to get the show off in time. This show was a debacle from beginning to end -- remember the ticket situation as well? 2 1/2 hours which the attendees had not planned for in the line is just plain unacceptable -- at some point, if SKIN isn't ready to go, call the damn thing off (or at least threaten to). Any competent organization should always reserve that right on ANY guest. It's the only way to ensure efficiency in the event.

They can try to get the show going on time as much as they want, but if the band wanted more time to rehearse, then they were going to get it. Do you really think it would've been better of AX to cancel the show rather than let it start a few hours late? Can you imagine how pissed everyone would be then? You're not even making sense if you think that would've been a reasonable way to handle the situation.

I seem to recall the ticket situation being largely caused by a bunch of morons refreshing the AX page incessantly for a week to be sure they got the front row tickets. When the tickets finally went up the servers crashed (despite being moved to a better server for that very reason). Don't even get me started on the ticketing situation, because there's an 80+ page forum thread on AX's forums that is clear evidence of the sheer stupidity of the people that caused that problem.

starcade wrote:

What the hell does that even mean?

starcade wrote:
I brought some food Thursday (day 0) to eat at the con (there was no freaking way, unless forced -- and I was) to eat at con center prices. Once I saw the signs, I knew what was up: They were going to fleece us for every f*cking dollar they could get off of us.

The other possibility is that it's an arena that holds sporting events and concerts, and that's simply what they do at such places. It's not a big deal. It's a concert, you'll be in there for a few hours at most. There are drinking fountains there so you aren't forced to buy drinks there. I'm pretty sure you'd survive waiting till after the concert to get food, too. Again, it's an arena. If you aren't bright enough to know that you can't bring food and drinks into concerts or sports events, that is not the fault of the SPJA.

Otherwise, I had no problems bringing outside food and drink into the convention center, the panel rooms in the hotels, or the vendor hall. Also, there were a bunch of restaurants right across the street from the vendor hall that you could've gone to. So yeah, you didn't have to eat at con center prices.

starcade wrote:
There was a good reason for this: Since the con center and the arena security had probably adjudged weeks before SPJA incompetent to run their own con (by comments made that the staff had to be "pushed around" by LBCC or ProStaff -- the only alternative being the entire show's cancellation), they were fully prepared to cancel the show. The only reason they didn't was they realized how much money they could directly make/fleece off of the attendees for food and drink, and indirectly make from other AX avenues.

What exactly are you basing this on? Who said AX staff HAD to be pushed around because they were incompetent? Have you considered the possibility that, seeing as how the LBCC staff were so freaking rude to attendees, maybe they took the same attitude with AX staff unprovoked? I'd really like to see an actual source for this claim, because I didn't see anything like this going on at all.

starcade wrote:
I can understand your argument _maybe_ the second or the third time they come to the con center, but not the first time. Sorry, Hayate, I'm not buying it.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here...

starcade wrote:
Someone forgot to tell you that this is an anime convention in which cosplay is a key part.

Again, this kind of stuff needed to be cleared between the relevant parties (AX/SPJA and ProStaff/LBCC) long before the convention was to take place. That it wasn't (one of many reasons there was an apparent functional takeover of the convention by the LBCC) IS their fault -- one of many omissions which make us question whether SPJA could even run an Anime Los Angeles-size con, much less an AX.

Basically, either one has to account for props that size or ban them - but, whatever decision is made, it has to be discussed by the parties beforehand, and it clearly was NOT.

Is this even an issue? Honestly, think for two seconds. You are going into an arena with seats that are very close together and have minimal leg room. You are lucky if you have room to put a small bag or purse in front of you comfortably. If you expect to be able to bring some huge weapon or other prop into these events and just have them with you, you're insane or really, REALLY stupid. If I was at the S.K.I.N. concert and had some moron next to me with Wolfwood's cross or some similarly large item, I think I would break it into a bunch of pieces or throw it somewhere out of the way. I would be extraordinarily angry if I went to such an anticipated event and had some retard next to me blocking my view with some huge cosplay prop or umbrella (god, I hate the stupid lolita girls that feel the need to carry umbrellas with them as part of their costume, but that's another story entirely).

Again, it's assigned seating with relatively small seats. There is NO reason whatsoever to expect to be able to bring in some huge cosplay prop to be in the way of those around or behind you.

Also, there was NOT a "functional takeover" of the event by LBCC staff. AX staff was still very much in charge of things with the exception of the arena. That wasn't something that happened during the show as a result of AX sucking, or something that was deemed necessary because the SPJA is incompetent, or any other similar nonsense. It was a contractual obligation that was part of the convention center being rented and used in the first place. So again, please cite a reliable source showing that the LBCC staff took everything over. If you can't provide proof or anything resembling it, quit stating it like it's fact.

starcade wrote:

And I'll give you another reason I believe this to be true. They had already found and contracted a new venue for 2008. There was no denotation as to a site or a date for next year in the program book. That leads me to believe two things:

1) LBCC was not bringing them back at any price for 2008. So AX/SPJA has been functionally run out of Long Beach.
2) And (restated from above) the ONLY reason 2007's AX was allowed to take place was because of the revenue it could bring to the con center.

You really amaze me. The fact that they hadn't settled on a venue by the time the program went to press means that they had somehow been run out of LBCC? Before AX even took place? What? Because AX decided to go to a different venue for 2008, it automatically means that the LBCC ran them out ("functionally", at that)?

And I'm not sure that you're aware of the point of a convention center. Believe it or not, much like every other business, they exist to make money. To say that the only reason AX 2007 was allowed to take place at LBCC was because they would make money and act like that somehow shows some sort of problem with AX or the SPJA is beyond ridiculous.

starcade wrote:
And, understand, they aren't going back to Anaheim either -- they've been functionally run out of there too. Why else would the AX/ACC relationship be severed by a con *half its size* (the Shriners advertised an estimated 20000 for their attendance this year)?

They hadn't been "functionally run out" of Anaheim. My wife worked for AX in 2006. They moved to a new venue because Anaheim was too small to house the con because it was growing so quickly. They wanted a bigger place with better accomodations, and they found that in Long Beach, and then decided that LACC would be better (which I still think it will be). The ACC didn't sever their relationship with AX because of any perceived problems. It was a simple business decision on the part of the SPJA to move their fast-growing con to a larger convention center that better suited their needs.

starcade wrote:
Huh?? If you believe that, I want to know what recreational drugs you are on and could you please send me some, because they have to be good for me to believe that.

Better than Anaheim, where a 15-minute walk could give you any of a smorgasboard of different options (and they could handle the capacity required -- heck, they're right near Disneyland, after all!!) -- at all hours of the day or night?

Anaheim: crappy Chinese place, decent Mexican food place and good pizza place a block away on the opposite corner of a busy road. IHOP that charges $10 for a plate of three pancakes. Taco Bell and one other fast food place about 1/4-1/2 mile away. Several sit-down restaurants about a mile away. Everything was overpriced because of Disneyland.

Long Beach: Great Steak and Potato Company, really good pizza place, really good Mexican food place, Coldstone, Islands, and a couple others that escape me at the moment, all across a small road from the convention center and all serving food at the NORMAL price. Less than 1/2 mile away: PF Chang's, Chili's, Outback, Bubba Gump Shrimp and Seafood (or something close to that name), a nice Japanese restaurant, one very fancy seafood place, one mid-level sit-down seafood place, a Mexican food sit-down place, another pizza place with very good prices, and a few other restaurants. Down the road in the other direction (still only about 1/2 mile) was Rock Bottom Brewery and several other restaurants.

Perhaps you're the one that on some kind of drugs...

starcade wrote:
And on top of that, even though the distance might not be an issue, the thing was configured like a freaking maze!!

OK, since it's so damn easy for you, how do you get from the registration hall/film room theatre to the con center *cleanly*, without having to run all over half of God's creation to get there?

Now, repeat the question with the dealer's hall exit to just about anywhere other than the Matsuri festival and the arena.

Repeat the question with Video Room 1 to Video Rooms 2 and 3.

Getting warm yet? Or are they paying you enough that you actually believe what you're saying??

I don't recall exactly where each thing was located. However, they give you a handy little thing in the program called a map. It tells you where stuff is. Either way, I walked all the way around from the exit of the vendor hall to the food across the street from the vendor hall and it wasn't really that bad. That was about the furthest possible walk you could have at AX 2007 and it took maybe 10 minutes and didn't leave me out of breath or anywhere close to it.

starcade wrote:

Deflecting would be more like passing blame off on someone else when they aren't to blame. This is simply pointing out the facts.

starcade wrote:
As far as the delays, they were unacceptable, seriously altered/destroyed people's plans for the con (what, you expect them to take a seating-concert combination of 2 hours and budget 12, between the lines and the delays?), and showed absolute disorganization on the part of the people running the con. At some point, if the delays are that far excessive, then either events have to be scrapped or someone has to be held accountable.

Again, it's a con. Cons rarely have their major events starting on time. I think 12 hours is grossly exaggerating the wait times as well.

starcade wrote:
As for the SOS Brigade: At some point, if it's being held at AX, AX is responsible. If they're truly in charge of their own con, then, at some point, if the show is _THAT BAD_, then something to the effect of "get the show right or we're pulling the plug on it!" has to be invoked by AX/SPJA -- for the good of their con and their reputation.

Again, you're going to cancel the whole show because it's going poorly? You really think that will make the fans happy?

starcade wrote:
All stuff that damn well should've been attended to by AX, especially when the *CONSCIOUS DECISION BY ANIME EXPO/THE SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF JAPANESE ANIMATION* was to make this a concert-intensive convention this year!!! If those problems are that freaking common with J-rockers, then there should've been a massive effort for this entire year beforehand (like there should be one this entire year now to ensure safety of the sorry people that are going to subject themselves to AX 2008) to recognize the problems and DEAL WITH THEM -- else, focus their energies elsewhere.

So, yep. They're at fault for those too -- absolute lack of foresight and planning.

Do you actually pay attention to what people say on here or do you just pick two or three key phrases and run with it? This wasn't a common problem with Jrockers. I was simply pointing out that another American-run concert event had far more problems and the only thing they had to worry about was two events, each being held on a different day. The problems at JRR were NOT the fault of the bands or their management. The problems at JRR were entirely the fault of the JRR staff and management.

starcade wrote:

Well, I will. I'm being banned from future AX's for raising Hell about things they don't want to hear about or do anything about. (Not to mention what I would be prepared to do to ensure my safety in the area around the LACC.)

I don't want all the fans to go away. I want them to quit whining about every little thing and quit being such spoiled brats. There were problems, but people are blowing them wildly out of proportion. Also, it's been said countless times but no one seems to want to listen: LACC is NOT THAT BAD. You aren't going to get robbed, mugged, or killed walking to your hotel. I've done it for E3 for six years and it's never happened.

You are being banned from future AX conventions because you are obviously an entirely unreasonable person that seems to enjoy causing problems. If I were running it, I wouldn't want you there either.

starcade wrote:
That *DOES NOT* excuse rank incompetence to the level that the people who run ALA could probably have done a better job with AX than the people who ran AX -- and ALA had its serious foibles too.

It comes down to competence, planning, execution. Without those, you can't have a con of this size. Period.

Again, you're grossly exaggerating the seriousness of the problems.

starcade wrote:
They've already suffered significant reputational damage from the likes of Ms. Momoi and probably discontent from most of the concert performers (for various and sundry reasons, some discussed). Do you think they'll go back to Japan and encourage other people to join them and work with SPJA, much less go back for another go themselves??

HELL NO!!!

I really don't think they have suffered nearly as much damage as you're estimating. Yeah, there were problems, but honestly a majority of the "reputational damage" they've endured is due largely to idiotic people like you screaming about nothing than to actual real problems.

starcade wrote:
They've been run out of Anaheim (basically, to go back to Anaheim, they'd not only have to change their date but reg-cap at 40K (why they didn't do the latter this year is beyond any comprehension of mine!!)), and they've now been run out of Long Beach (see above). What happens next year if LACC craters like LBCC did this year? No more AX, because they'll have no further venues to hold it (they're not going to San Diego).

They weren't run out of Anaheim. The con outgrew the convention center. They weren't fun out of LBCC either. They simply chose a bigger and better venue for the event. Just think, everything can now be held in ONE BUILDING. This should be music to your ears because it means you won't have to walk so far to get place to place.

starcade wrote:
One more like this, and you'll probably see lawsuits for gross negligence (especially if our concerns about the "element" in the area are proven out and if it can be proven that they were as slipshod with security at and around the LACC as they were with basically everything this year). And before you produce the implied waivers, the California Supreme Court recently (as in after AX 2007) ruled that parties who sign waivers to participate in sports and recreation programs have the right to sue if they can prove extreme negligence by the parties whom they are suing. Even a couple such lawsuits would surely torpedo AX.

Answer that for me.

Nothing AX has done at any point in their entire history could be considered extreme negligence. Some stupid kids getting sunburned, some idiot losing a huge cosplay prop at a concert, an event starting a few hours late, these are not things that would constitute extreme negligence. AX isn't getting sued. If you brought a lawsuit forward regarding the things you've talked about here, you'd be laughed out of court and probably have to pay the SPJA's legal fees.

starcade wrote:
You're an idiot if you think they didn't ruin the con for a lot of people. In fact, once it ruined the con for enough people, the cloud over the convention spread like a "ripple effect" to other attendees of the con.

There's a difference between ACTUALLY ruining the con and "ruining the con for a lot of people." As I've pointed out, those who are complaining are not exactly the brightest people in the world. The problems have been grossly exaggerated. This is on the lines of a teenager complaining that their parents don't care about them and thinking their lives are miserable and horrible because their parents wouldn't let them hang out with their friends at a mall one night. It's just a bunch of bratty kids whining about minor things and making a huge deal out of them.

starcade wrote:
No, they're out to get our money and nothing more.

For one, perhaps you're not familiar with basic economics and business. Last I checked though, if you run a business, the primary objective is making money. However, one major point you seem to have missed is that the SPJA is a NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION. This means that they aren't making money on the event. How are you going to explain that?

starcade wrote:
How about a meaningful apology and an actual belief that they will do anything about it?

You mean like when countless staff members have said they recognized the problems that occurred, apologized for them, admitted responsibility, and have said they're already discussing ways to prevent these problems from happening again next year? Like that kind of a meaningful apology? Or some other kind of meaningful apology that is completely different and can't actually be described as a meaningful apology?

starcade wrote:
Oh, yeah... Completely crap all over the guests and the attendees and the venue and the security.

Yeah, if they had done that, I'd agree. But, as it turns out, they didn't. They upset one guest because of issues with scheduling that were largely resolved when the issues were brought to their attention. The attendees did not get crapped on. Some made problems for themselves and let themselves be completely dragged down by minor setbacks, but AX didn't "crap all over the attendees", nor did they do anything similar to the venue and security.
Kaguzuchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
I wrote this before Hayete’s post/reply about starcade so this is in response to the earlier (sat) post.

Quote:
It is not the SPJA's fault that S.K.I.N. decided last minute that they needed more time to rehearse.

Whoever ran the event (SPJA) should have had open communications with S.K.I.N management well before the event day to take into account how much prep time was needed. If they needed three hours of prep time, they should have been told to show up 4 hours early. Also, if their show was as big and important debut as I hear it to be, then why the hell was there concert a 2pm start time? Don’t big events normally get slotted into the evening? Or at least later into the day?

Errors: AX planning and miscommunication with S.K.I.N. management
Quote:

It is not the SPJA's fault that the people waiting in line outside chose not to apply sunblock and got sunburned (I'm guilty of this too).

Who the hell would have thought to bring sun block? I’ve been to AX since 2000. The previous three were at Anaheim and we were waiting inside a building away from the sun. I was at Long Beach in 02 and I sure as hell don’t remember waiting in the sun. Unless it was advised beforehand by AX (which it wasn’t), Sun block wouldn’t be in any ones check list of stuff to bring to a convention.
On this matter, it was AX management incompetence that had us waiting in the outside parking lot in the first place. Someone should have had the brains to observe that there was a nice parking structure right next to where we were standing which came complete with a big ass ceiling, and three levels of smooth non graveled floors which could have suited a long ass line much better.

Errors: AX’s decision to put us under the sun. There was no reason anyone would think that sun block was needed; AX failed to warn us otherwise.

Quote:
It's not the SPJA's fault that people were geniuses and expected to be able to bring huge cosplay props into an arena where everyone had assigned seats and space was limited.

I sure as hell didn’t see any sign that there were no props or cameras allowed. First I heard of it was a bit before the AMV after waiting 3+ hours when someone with a megaphone came by yelling for us to return props and camera to hotels/cars. My problem with this was why the hell they waited till pretty much right before the event started to tell us these things. The group right in front of me were dressed in full cosplay with small props and there problem was that they came by bus so they had absolutely nowhere to put their props. Ax didn’t have anywhere they could store it, and they ultimately ended up leaving (after waiting 3+ hours) because of this. A second problem this caused was how the hell were you supposed to return stuff to car/hotel if you were waiting in line alone?

On a side note, if they knew they didn’t have the files at 5pm, they should have disbanded the line then instead of waiting till 9pm to tell us the show was pretty much canceled.

Error: AX’s decision to wait till last minute before announcing important info. AMV staff decision to have people wait 4 hours before telling them the show was canceled.

Quote:
The convention center was a bit spread out, but again, if you really think it was that far and that much of a hassle to walk from the arena to the vendor hall, you're lazy and/or out of shape which is also not the SPJA's fault.

I Agree with Rogue Marvel's view on subject

Quote:
And again, I can't stress this enough: you guys have no idea what kind of problems can come up with concerts if you didn't go to Jrock Revolution. The microphone cut out on the vocalists of a couple of the bands, to the point that I couldn't recognize the chorus of one major single from my favorite band. The drummer of Merry was trying to talk to the crowd and the mic cut out more than it actually worked. The line situation was horrible (waiting in line outside on the streets of LA overnight with no security or police is definitely not ideal). Their will call situation was absurd. If you waited overnight in line to get pit access and had to pick up will call tickets, you were moved to a different line about an hour before doors opened and weren't let in until the pit was full and you were stuck in some crappy area in the back or really far to the side.

This just means that that event was run horribly as well. Just cause the AX situation sucked less than the Jrock Revolution event doesn’t change the fact that it still sucked. At least now people are trying to fix it instead of thinking of it as an inevitability which seems to be your mindset.

Error: Just cause the standard sucks doesn’t mean we should accept it
Quote:

I have been attending AX for six years now, and honestly the only thing that was worse this year than in the past few years was the obnoxious fans complaining about everything.

I agree with Disembodied Voice's view on the subject

Quote:
*The next paragraph is not directed at any one person, but simply a rant towards all the whining brats I've come across here and on the AX forums.*

AX forums are getting off ridiculously light. I tried to sign up on the AX forum to voice my complaints but their forum stupidly has a policy in which you can’t post till an indeterminate amount of time passes (it’s been over two weeks for me and I still can’t post anything). I think the entire purpose of this rule is set so that people can’t complain about AX immediately afterwards and hope that people will forget about the problems as time passes. I’m sure thousands, that’s right, THOUSANDS of attendees were in the same predicament I’m in in regards to trying to sign up to voice complaints about this years Expo. Another thing I’ve notice about AX forum’s is that anyone which posts any negative material in regards to AX is banned by moderators. Starcade’s on the excessive side but I’ve seen it happen to others for significantly less offences.

Rogue Marvel wrote:
Quote:

A perfect example of a con that messed up big and admitted it was ALA. They had horrible rude staff members this past year. Never in my con going experience had I been treated so rudely by staff. But as soon as the event was over the Con chair went over the issues apologized and took full responsibility for what happened (even tho it really wasn't his fault) and has already put new measures in place to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm definitely going back to ALA.

Why can't AX and the SPJA do that? Is it really that hard to admit there were issues that were actually their fault?

I definitely agree with you, if AX had someone officially own up to some of its mistakes, I would have been okay, cool, now lets find out how we could make it better next year. But instead, with Chase’s answer of “I think it was a very good year”. We spend most of our time trying to flame SPJA and get them to admit their faults. It’s one of those “the first step in fixing a problem is admitting that there is one” which they haven’t done thus far.
packrat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
HayateTokidoki wrote:

I seem to recall the ticket situation being largely caused by a bunch of morons refreshing the AX page incessantly for a week to be sure they got the front row tickets. When the tickets finally went up the servers crashed (despite being moved to a better server for that very reason). Don't even get me started on the ticketing situation, because there's an 80+ page forum thread on AX's forums that is clear evidence of the sheer stupidity of the people that caused that problem.

I believe one of the complaints was that people who waited in line for so long were upset because the AX staff ended up giving out free tickets to passersby. These free tickets were oftentimes better seats then those of the one's waiting in line. I think that's a reason to be upset.

HayateTokiDoki wrote:
They hadn't been "functionally run out" of Anaheim. My wife worked for AX in 2006. They moved to a new venue because Anaheim was too small to house the con because it was growing so quickly.

But everytime they've been at Anaheim they've shared the location with at least two other conventions running at the same time (in 2006 there was the Kenneth Copeland Ministries and the gay square dancing convention in the Mariott). Why can't they just reserve the entire convention area on some other date? There will be more then enough room then to accomodate them for a long time.

HayateTokiDoki wrote:
I don't recall exactly where each thing was located. However, they give you a handy little thing in the program called a map. It tells you where stuff is. Either way, I walked all the way around from the exit of the vendor hall to the food across the street from the vendor hall and it wasn't really that bad. That was about the furthest possible walk you could have at AX 2007 and it took maybe 10 minutes and didn't leave me out of breath or anywhere close to it.

I spent part of the convention in a wheelchair due to a sprained ankle. The map did nothing to help me find where elevators and handicapped accesible routes were. The staff did even less.

The dealer's room exit and entry points were badly laid out.

I will admit that these are my only real personal complaints about the staff, however.

HayateTokiDoki wrote:
I don't want all the fans to go away. I want them to quit whining about every little thing and quit being such spoiled brats. There were problems, but people are blowing them wildly out of proportion. Also, it's been said countless times but no one seems to want to listen: LACC is NOT THAT BAD. You aren't going to get robbed, mugged, or killed walking to your hotel. I've done it for E3 for six years and it's never happened.

In these circumstances, I think the complaining is warranted.

I understand that the LACC isn't all that bad in terms of crime. However it is bad because it's far away from the hotels, cheap food and there are bums asking for change all around the route.

My husband and I fly in from Ohio and it costs us upwards of 1500 dollars to do so. This is a vacation for us, and we do not want to deal with any walk longer then a few blocks, nor do we want to deal with the hassle of taxis, subways or renting a car and parking. I am a cosplayer and often return to my hotel room during the course of a day to change, and that will not be possible if we attend AX at the LACC. We are not familiar with the area and I doubt that any amount of research will allow us to learn the intricacies of the neighborhood before the next AX.

I am also not convinced that AX will be able to handle shutting down at 6PM and moving everything to the hotels. There will be a large number of people wanting to move and I seriously doubt there will be enough shuttles to accomodate them all without long wait times.

And before you accuse us of being young "spoiled brat" fans, both my husband and I have been anime fans for over ten years (fifteen years in his case). Ryan has attended every AX except for two, and I regularly attend several conventions a year of varying sizes.

Ryan enjoyed AX this year; I didn't but that was not AX's fault. But we are still choosing not to attend next year because of the problems I mentioned in the paragraphs above.

HayateTokiDoki wrote:
You are being banned from future AX conventions because you are obviously an entirely unreasonable person that seems to enjoy causing problems. If I were running it, I wouldn't want you there either.

Starcade, I agree that you're overreacting. If you're not going to be attending future AX's then don't worry so much about it.
starcade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Another long one. Let's start on the SKIN concert:

HayateTokidoki wrote:

As I have pointed out numerous times (and this is probably the best example of the fact that you are just looking for reasons to gripe and can't be bothered to pay attention to the responses people give), they played four songs, one of which was split into two parts by solos and introductions.

I had actually read what I had posted here. (Three songs, one repeat, scream loud.) That was not my account of the events.

But, even such, that still does not answer the point I made: If SKIN came that unprepared, then it comes down to a matter of professionality to tell them to get their butts out there when the show is announced to go, or risk breaching their contract by being unable to do so. A professional outfit would be able to put their feet down and insist -- or at least give people the idea of what the blazes was going on!

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Moving along, the SPJA is not at fault that the band demanded more time to rehearse and do sound checks. Understand the situation. This is a brand new band, comprised of major talents from hugely popular bands. They didn't want to disappoint their fans. They wanted the show to be perfect because this was their WORLDWIDE DEBUT.

That should've been done in Japan -- all they should've needed to do in Long Beach was a soundcheck for the venue. Since there also seemed to be problems with the ability to actually set up the venue, SPJA takes part of the blame as well -- in addition to what I said above.

I mean, what, if they needed enough time to basically run the AMV contest out of the Arena, would they have been granted it? (What actually happened to the AMV contest aside!)

HayateTokidoki wrote:

And why exactly must one wonder if they had problems and almost canceled their concert? Because as far as I can tell, that's you just making random crap up with no basis in fact or reasonable assumption to give yourself more of a reason to complain.

One has to wonder if they were running into the same unprofessional crap that Momoi was running into. It's not like the attendees nor any other people were being told anything about what was going on. That's why.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

(Re: The need for sunblock vs. the schedule)
They can try to get the show going on time as much as they want, but if the band wanted more time to rehearse, then they were going to get it.

Why? If it's that bad, it's unprofessional on SKIN's part and basically could constitute a breach of their contract.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Do you really think it would've been better of AX to cancel the show rather than let it start a few hours late? Can you imagine how pissed everyone would be then? You're not even making sense if you think that would've been a reasonable way to handle the situation.

How long would be too long to you? 3 hours? Six??? What if they couldn't start til the Masquerade was scheduled for (Sunday)?

Again, a competent organization would be able to put their foot down and allow for a _little_ wiggle. But, 2 1/2 hours??!?!?!? At some point, it's either excrete or get off the pot! That kind of delay could be considered breach of contract, and, in almost any other venue of the con, would've crippled the schedule of all other events for that day...

And it's that delay that led to the whole "sunblock" thing. Why should the attendees have to put up with an unplanned delay because someone was being unprofessional and woefully unprepared? (That could be true for both sides of the equation here!)

HayateTokidoki wrote:

I seem to recall the ticket situation being largely caused by a bunch of morons refreshing the AX page incessantly for a week to be sure they got the front row tickets.

Hello!! Welcome to SOUGHT AFTER TICKETS!!!

What do you think happens when playoff tickets go on sale for a team in a major sport?? What do you think happens when Madonna announces a concert tour and it's the onsale date??

People wanted the tickets that bad and they were going to try to get them. That the website couldn't handle that is something that people should've thought of (either reinforcing the website or basically going to a seat-by-lottery system or SOMETHING).

HayateTokidoki wrote:

When the tickets finally went up the servers crashed (despite being moved to a better server for that very reason). Don't even get me started on the ticketing situation, because there's an 80+ page forum thread on AX's forums that is clear evidence of the sheer stupidity of the people that caused that problem.

Stupidity?? They wanted the front row seats and were going to do what they could to get them. That's how the demand was for the tickets. Probably would've been better the moment the server crashed to go seat-by-lottery or something.

(Re: "No food or drink the Long Beach Convention Center")
HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

What the hell does that even mean?

It's all fine and good to say that people should've expected not to be allowed to eat or drink in the LBCC -- say, the SECOND TIME IN THE VENUE. The first time, however, is another story. Unless AX wanted to say "No food or drink in the LBCC!" as part of their site, how would people (who are smartly planning NOT to pay $3.25 for a soda or $8.00 for anything resembling dinner) do other than bring their own?

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:
Once I saw the signs, I knew what was up: They were going to fleece us for every f*cking dollar they could get off of us.

The other possibility is that it's an arena that holds sporting events and concerts, and that's simply what they do at such places.

Yeah, fleece us for every f*cking dollar they could get off us. You're right.

And that's why people like me plan other ways of doing things -- such as eating beforehand or bringing stuff into the con center/stadium so we don't have to pay their extortive prices.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

It's not a big deal. It's a concert, you'll be in there for a few hours at most.

No, it's an anime convention -- now if you want to basically say that the anime convention is there to simply fill the hotel space and the like (is the anime convention being held for the community it is being held FOR or the community it is being held IN), then we get to another pet peeve which has gotten me in varying degrees of trouble in a number of anime events this year.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

There are drinking fountains there so you aren't forced to buy drinks there. I'm pretty sure you'd survive waiting till after the concert to get food, too. Again, it's an arena. If you aren't bright enough to know that you can't bring food and drinks into concerts or sports events, that is not the fault of the SPJA.

Why do you think people try to sneak things into stadiums all the time? People don't want to pay the extortive prices, Hayate! Have you _EVER_ been to a major sporting event?

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Otherwise, I had no problems bringing outside food and drink into the convention center, the panel rooms in the hotels, or the vendor hall. Also, there were a bunch of restaurants right across the street from the vendor hall that you could've gone to. So yeah, you didn't have to eat at con center prices.

That is, of course, if you could find room at those same restaurants. Took me ninety minutes to find anything with room Friday night -- and I had to go to the Outback Steak House to do so! (Great staff, great food, etc.)

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

What exactly are you basing this on? Who said AX staff HAD to be pushed around because they were incompetent?

There was a person on the AX forums who basically said that the staff was at the mercy (being "pushed around" -- to use his exact term) of the venue, with the threat by the venue that the show was going to get tossed.

The incompetence is a function that it had to have been obvious long before the con that the LBCC and the SPJA were not getting along, and that the complete lack of organization of the SPJA for a number of years now was a serious sticking point -- so much so that, by the con, there was no way that the show was ever coming back -- with the SPJA running it -- to the LBCC. (Hence, no date nor venue for 2008 until Closing Ceremonies.)

I truly believe, given what I've seen and heard, that the LBCC didn't want to have AX held there, or at least until they realized how many people were going to show up and how much money they could make. They gritted, bore it, and basically decided at that point they were seizing material control, at least for their venue.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Have you considered the possibility that, seeing as how the LBCC staff were so freaking rude to attendees, maybe they took the same attitude with AX staff unprovoked?

They couldn't have done that completely unprovoked. I (and I've seen this by talking to building security at other major cons as well) firmly believe that they had a huge distaste for AX entirely, didn't give a damn what happened since they knew that they would never invite AX back, and basically made it clear that they were running the show since they felt SPJA wouldn't.

Yes, that would mean they got rude on us -- but if SPJA were any degree of professional, none of this (in my firm opinion) would've happened, because the LBCC and SPJA would've been in cooperation for the betterment of the con.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

I'd really like to see an actual source for this claim, because I didn't see anything like this going on at all.

Because a lot of that emerged from behind the scenes stuff.

(Re: cosplay parts in limited space)
HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

Is this even an issue?

You mentioned it. It certainly appeared to be.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Honestly, think for two seconds. You are going into an arena with seats that are very close together and have minimal leg room. You are lucky if you have room to put a small bag or purse in front of you comfortably. If you expect to be able to bring some huge weapon or other prop into these events and just have them with you, you're insane or really, REALLY stupid.

At that point, that should've been discussed and, if necessary, props of that bulk banned from the con. Remember, this is also where the Masquerade itself was held, if my memory serves.

My point, which you again missed, is that this needed to be dealt with before the con -- and, much like the Weapons Policy, if the bulk of props was an issue, then maybe those props need to be disallowed.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

If I was at the S.K.I.N. concert and had some moron next to me with Wolfwood's cross or some similarly large item, I think I would break it into a bunch of pieces or throw it somewhere out of the way. I would be extraordinarily angry if I went to such an anticipated event and had some retard next to me blocking my view with some huge cosplay prop or umbrella (god, I hate the stupid lolita girls that feel the need to carry umbrellas with them as part of their costume, but that's another story entirely).

And then you'd have a fight on your hands. Again, all handled if the discussions were made and it were decided that the convention could not handle those kind of bulky props and they were disallowed, either in part or in whole.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Again, it's assigned seating with relatively small seats. There is NO reason whatsoever to expect to be able to bring in some huge cosplay prop to be in the way of those around or behind you.

Tell that to the people who make the props, then. Tell them they CAN'T BRING THEM TO THE CONVENTION. Discuss that between the organization and the venue -- again, simple enough, but, if it's an issue, it should've been anticipated as one.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Also, there was NOT a "functional takeover" of the event by LBCC staff. AX staff was still very much in charge of things with the exception of the arena.

I'd say most of the LBCC was basically either taken over by their people or a bit of a cluster -- see the Artist's Alley by the Console Gaming for one example...

HayateTokidoki wrote:

That wasn't something that happened during the show as a result of AX sucking, or something that was deemed necessary because the SPJA is incompetent, or any other similar nonsense. It was a contractual obligation that was part of the convention center being rented and used in the first place. So again, please cite a reliable source showing that the LBCC staff took everything over. If you can't provide proof or anything resembling it, quit stating it like it's fact.

Again, see above on the person who said that the AX staff had to be "pushed around". You don't realize how damning a statement that is?

I would think, as an intelligent person, that if the convention center and the security had one iota of belief that the show could be run successfully, Hayate, they'd be able to work WITH the SPJA and AX, not AGAINST them. Given the comments (too innumerable to count, almost), I think we know which way that went -- and, AGAIN, I think the LBCC people have worked with enough cons to know when they need to take over.

To that end:
HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

You really amaze me. The fact that they hadn't settled on a venue by the time the program went to press means that they had somehow been run out of LBCC? Before AX even took place? What? Because AX decided to go to a different venue for 2008, it automatically means that the LBCC ran them out ("functionally", at that)?

When I add all of the other snafus (snafi?) into the equation, that's what I come up with, yes. Unless you're willing to believe that they had already decided (before they even started working on '07) that they weren't going to be back...

The fact that they hadn't settled on a venue indicates they weren't coming back -- and when you saw what happened, you understood _WHY_. LBCC didn't want them back and they made no mystery to anybody about it!

HayateTokidoki wrote:

And I'm not sure that you're aware of the point of a convention center. Believe it or not, much like every other business, they exist to make money. To say that the only reason AX 2007 was allowed to take place at LBCC was because they would make money and act like that somehow shows some sort of problem with AX or the SPJA is beyond ridiculous.

But, as a business, would they not want a repeat customer, especially of that size?

I believe a decision was made, several months before the show, that, to the LBCC people, the SPJA was a bunch of incompetent blankety-blanks and that the show really SHOULD be called off -- BUT we're going to put up with it ONCE because of the money base.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

They hadn't been "functionally run out" of Anaheim. My wife worked for AX in 2006. They moved to a new venue because Anaheim was too small to house the con because it was growing so quickly.

It has come to attention that the ACC was calling for a reg-cap that the SPJA would not agree to. So it was "See ya, AX!!"

Do you realize how much money (since we're talking business here) the Anaheim Resort Area probably lost because they went from a 40K con to a 20K con?

That decision would make no functional business sense unless the decision was made to show SPJA the door!

HayateTokidoki wrote:

They wanted a bigger place with better accomodations, and they found that in Long Beach, and then decided that LACC would be better (which I still think it will be). The ACC didn't sever their relationship with AX because of any perceived problems. It was a simple business decision on the part of the SPJA to move their fast-growing con to a larger convention center that better suited their needs.

I think you're the one who needs the research, Hayate. According to a number of posters on the forum, ACC called for a 40K cap and the SPJA (stupidly, IMODO!) told them to go blow.

It was clear that the con was too big for the con center even in 2006 (because of disorganization again!), and that they didn't reg-cap (regardless of venue) was rank moronic.

(Re: The food was better in Long Beach)
HayateTokidoki wrote:

Anaheim: crappy Chinese place, decent Mexican food place and good pizza place a block away on the opposite corner of a busy road. IHOP that charges $10 for a plate of three pancakes. Taco Bell and one other fast food place about 1/4-1/2 mile away. Several sit-down restaurants about a mile away. Everything was overpriced because of Disneyland.

You want overpriced??? $8.00 for a salad at the con center. A good meal at the Outback sets you back $25-30, when a good filling meal at the Denny's in Anaheim might be $15 unless you tacked on an appetizer!

McDonalds, anyone? A 7-11 or two, if you must?

And the other point to be made was that they could handle the capacity that that mall on the other side of the LBCC street could not. And once you got north of the con area, you were taking your safety into your own hands. That's why I aborted the fast food and went to the Old Town Buffet instead.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Long Beach: Great Steak and Potato Company, really good pizza place, really good Mexican food place, Coldstone, Islands, and a couple others that escape me at the moment, all across a small road from the convention center and all serving food at the NORMAL price. Less than 1/2 mile away: PF Chang's, Chili's, Outback, Bubba Gump Shrimp and Seafood (or something close to that name), a nice Japanese restaurant, one very fancy seafood place, one mid-level sit-down seafood place, a Mexican food sit-down place, another pizza place with very good prices, and a few other restaurants. Down the road in the other direction (still only about 1/2 mile) was Rock Bottom Brewery and several other restaurants.

Yeah -- and a ninety-minute walkabout to find anything with a seat! And if you walk that far in Anaheim, you have a McDonalds, A JackintheBox, Carl's Jr if my memory serves, two Dennys, etc.

(Re: The venue setup...)
HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:
And on top of that, even though the distance might not be an issue, the thing (LBCC) was configured like a freaking maze!!

A map with no directional arrows to deal with the maze situation which they had there. It tells you only where the stuff is -- try getting from one thing to another, and you might be going through four other venues, none of which are clearly close to where you are trying to go!

(Of course, had it had the directions on it, it might've resembled the "map" that Johnny Carson's movie barker character would present -- of the LA freeways, which looked like spaghetti!)

And the furthest possible walk from AX 2007 was video room 1 to vid rooms 2 and 3 (arcade/karaoke/etc). If you can tell me, with that setup, you can get from the Hyatt to the Westin in 10 minutes without losing breath, I'll need to see that to believe it.

Yeah, sure, maybe if you flew!

The fact is that, even if you knew where to go, how you were going to get there was another problem and nothing was done on SPJA's end to help in that regard _either_.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

Deflecting would be more like passing blame off on someone else when they aren't to blame. This is simply pointing out the facts.

Yep, you're working for AX. They're doing the exact same thing. Presenting deflections as facts.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

Again, it's a con. Cons rarely have their major events starting on time. I think 12 hours is grossly exaggerating the wait times as well.
starcade wrote:
ay, though, there has to be a limit as to the delay?

You consider 2 1/2 hours acceptable?

starcade wrote:

Again, you're going to cancel the whole show because it's going poorly? You really think that will make the fans happy?

The show's going bad enough that the customers/attendees are already pretty upset. Basically a call onto the carpet is needed to get something done right -- and a professional outfit would not let this happen, because it speaks not only to Bandai, but to AX/SPJA as well. SOMETHING needed to be done there, Hayate.

(The mention was made that a lot of the delays and the like were common in J-Rock events...)
HayateTokidoki wrote:

Do you actually pay attention to what people say on here or do you just pick two or three key phrases and run with it? This wasn't a common problem with Jrockers. I was simply pointing out that another American-run concert event had far more problems and the only thing they had to worry about was two events, each being held on a different day. The problems at JRR were NOT the fault of the bands or their management. The problems at JRR were entirely the fault of the JRR staff and management.

You said YOURSELF that you couldn't have any idea of the kinds of problems that could happen if you didn't attend events like JRR -- and the only implication which can, then, be drawn is that the problems happen there with some frequency.

My point was that SPJA made a choice to make the con J-Rock intensive and didn't take a lot of this into account. Period. You want to defend them, be my freaking guest -- but I'll call you on it. If you make it an international cosplay event, then you get the problems endemic to that. If you're neither willing nor prepared to deal with it, time to find something else to focus on as a convention.

starcade wrote:

I don't want all the fans to go away. I want them to quit whining about every little thing and quit being such spoiled brats.

Then you want them to go away, since their opinions as customers are of no importance to you. (Trust me, there are more than a few people who would gladly see people leave the sandbox, as far as that goes.)

And as for the comment about E3: THAT'S BECAUSE E3 HAS A PROFESSIONAL STAFF RUNNING IT!!

(and perhaps limiting the show "to the trade" has something to do with that as well -- imagine what happens if E3 were an open show!)

HayateTokidoki wrote:

No, you wouldn't. Basically, I told them that if they didn't like what I had to say...

And they didn't like what I had to say.

I can only draw the conclusion that people had better be ready to fend for themselves next year, because the incompetency is going to continue -- and I do not trust anyone's safety at the event. I would come armed with something to defend myself. (That's one thing I told them that they didn't particularly like.)

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

Again, you're grossly exaggerating the seriousness of the problems.

So, then, seems to be almost every attendee whose lips aren't firmly affixed to the AX head's buttocks.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

HELL NO!!!

I really don't think they have suffered nearly as much damage as you're estimating. Yeah, there were problems, but honestly a majority of the "reputational damage" they've endured is due largely to idiotic people like you screaming about nothing than to actual real problems.

When Ms. Momoi has to go and basically call AX unprofessional on her blog during the con, I don't think she's exaggerating. I wouldn't have blamed her one bit to call breach of contract on AX and get her and her people on the first plane back to Japan. I'd have to think she considered it greatly.

If you can't see that, nor any of the other complaints, as any more than unnecessary exaggerations, you clearly are working for AX or getting as paid for it as Chase was. (At least he did his job -- though I've responded to that quite a bit. (here and personally))

HayateTokidoki wrote:

They weren't run out of Anaheim. The con outgrew the convention center. They weren't fun out of LBCC either. They simply chose a bigger and better venue for the event. Just think, everything can now be held in ONE BUILDING. This should be music to your ears because it means you won't have to walk so far to get place to place.

The venue at the LBCC was actually appearing to be large enough. The setup was all FUBARred.

And anyone who honestly thinks that, before LA Live is _completed_ that the LACC area is better than the LBCC needs a serious look at both areas.

Once LA Live completes, we might have another discussion.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

Answer that for me.

Nothing AX has done at any point in their entire history could be considered extreme negligence. Some stupid kids getting sunburned, some idiot losing a huge cosplay prop at a concert, an event starting a few hours late, these are not things that would constitute extreme negligence. AX isn't getting sued. If you brought a lawsuit forward regarding the things you've talked about here, you'd be laughed out of court and probably have to pay the SPJA's legal fees.

What's to say I'm talking just about past years? If things go as I believe (from their incompetence) they will, someone is going to get jumped because the con didn't properly prepare to keep the people safe.

Or are you one of those who believes that the SPJA need make no effort to do even that?

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

There's a difference between ACTUALLY ruining the con and "ruining the con for a lot of people." As I've pointed out, those who are complaining are not exactly the brightest people in the world. The problems have been grossly exaggerated. This is on the lines of a teenager complaining that their parents don't care about them and thinking their lives are miserable and horrible because their parents wouldn't let them hang out with their friends at a mall one night. It's just a bunch of bratty kids whining about minor things and making a huge deal out of them.

You basically insulted almost every person I had contact with at the con (including more than a few staff). I'd be more than interested to see if you actually took that attitude to Con Gripe or the SPJA meeting (which I hear closely resembled a lynching of the high staff!) and see if you got out without having to swing your way out.

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

You mean like when countless staff members have said they recognized the problems that occurred, apologized for them, admitted responsibility, and have said they're already discussing ways to prevent these problems from happening again next year? Like that kind of a meaningful apology? Or some other kind of meaningful apology that is completely different and can't actually be described as a meaningful apology?

How about the resignation of the person for whom the buck at this con stopped -- for starters? (and this time I'll have it right) How about the resignation of the con chair or of the head of the SPJA?

And they can "discuss" all they want -- but what makes me (or anyone who's had to put up with the last 2-3 of these) think that they'll actually DO anything about it?

HayateTokidoki wrote:

starcade wrote:

Yeah, if they had done that, I'd agree. But, as it turns out, they didn't. They upset one guest because of issues with scheduling that were largely resolved when the issues were brought to their attention. The attendees did not get crapped on. Some made problems for themselves and let themselves be completely dragged down by minor setbacks, but AX didn't "crap all over the attendees", nor did they do anything similar to the venue and security.

The attendees got crapped on all over the place. If they're that unreasonable, why hold a con at all???

Please, just tell us that you work for AX so we know to start laughing at you.
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="CorneredAngel"]
Quote:

Actually, AX *is* run by a professional staff, in a way - the on-the-ground staffers are all volunteers, but the board of directors receives compensation for their time. Given that except for the convention weekend itself, working AX is *not* really a full-time job for the overwhelming majority of the people who are on staff, I basically don't think how any other arrangement would work. And in fact, this is how Comic-Con and the upcoming NY Anime Festival are handled: a few full-time staff who are paid, and then a much larger number of volunteers who participate at the event itself. In any case, basically, what happened this year was not a failure of AX's staffing concept, it was just a lot of failures on the part of individual staff members. And maybe, after the complacency of several years at the ACC, these failures were inevitable.

If that is a professional staff, then I am President Bush.

I think AX should take a long hard look at itself and ask, "How the hell can I get better next year without so many f*ck ups?" AX continues to grow each year and it seems that their *professional* staff can't seem to wrap their heads around that. It seems that they don't really know or care much about the organization to begin with. At least that's my impression.
If Comic Con is run by a small full-time staff, then maybe they should be running AX.

You know what the difference is between AX and NY Anime Festival? Reed Exhibitions.
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Hagaren_Otaku726]I realize some of the staff/volunteers worked hard, and not just because they got a free pass or because they had to. I thank them. But something inside AX seemed to be working against it this year, and it really didn't go as well as it should've.[/quote]

Yes. I totally agree. There seems to be a huuuuuge disconnect from the top. One prime example was the handling of GoH interview requests by press. We didn't get as many as we hoped. We tried to confirm an interview and we got a very unpleasant response from AX's GoH coordinator. Apparently we weren't supposed to get her number. So she yelled at us for trying to confirm an interview request. Rolling Eyes
SevenMagpies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
I don't know why I'm doing this, since it's the equivalent of talking at a very screamy brick wall. (Impulse control, I guess?)

Starcade, you continue to throw out long-winded and almost abusive conjecture and present it as fact. Most of the issues you've continued to bring up have been addressed in many different threads in the AX forums. A number of staffers, both "high" and "low," have stepped forward to acknowledge and apologize for them. I didn't know you'd been banned until I came here, but I imagine the reasons why you received a 30-day ban are that you ignored the responses of the staff (and other attendees) and continued to repeat yourself, often with increasingly antagonistic language. You were effectively trolling a number of the threads on the forums.

Before you ask or accuse: no. I don't "work for" AX, at least not in the sense you've implied to another person further up the thread. I do not receive money for the hours I spend staffing for and at AX. I'm not a higher-up; I don't make the decisions. I won't get a pat on the back for this post--if anything, most of the staff have decided it's best to step back and let you run out of wind.

At this point, I think most of the people on the AX forums (and hopefully here) already know you're not exactly well-informed on the "points" you're presenting. Your complaints, and everyone else's complaints, are absolutely valid and the staff appreciate hearing them. But you continue to go beyond complaining--stating that things MUST have happened a certain way, or that they happened because of a certain person/group, or (worst of all) that things WILL happen because of etc. etc.--based on nothing but conjecture.

A number of the Industry and GoH problems, from what I've heard, can't be publicly addressed in detail--i.e. why exactly their events ran late, what was going on backstage, the nature of the contracts--because AX wants to maintain their connections as best they can, for the good of future conventions. Was AX entirely free of blame? I don't think so. But there were problems out of the staff's (stress the STAFF) control. These problems were recognized, and there are already plans in motion to prevent them from happening again.

There is a split between the SPJA Board of Directors and the AX Staff, and from what I understand this has been the source of many of the problems that have occurred in the past couple of years. Even before AX07 ended, the staff began the process of communication and action to fix this. Everyone is working towards a resolution because they WANT AX to be a better convention. They want to fix the problems we've been having, and they want to move forward.

The LACC was contracted by the SPJA long before the end of AX07. So, no--AX was not forced out of the LBCC. LBCC was a one-year deal for 2007, and after this year I highly doubt AX will ever return again. Your comments on the acquisition and supposed loss of the LBCC and ACC are, once again, complete conjecture.

And, again, ALL of this has been stated in the AX forums. Repeatedly. In threads that you started, even. Chase acknowledged many of the same problems in his interview here--though in much prettier and PR-appropriate language.
calawain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
I don't really have anything to contribute here aside from pointing out the fact that these essays are way too long.
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
SevenMagpies wrote:
I don't know why I'm doing this, since it's the equivalent of talking at a very screamy brick wall. (Impulse control, I guess?)

I have an 11:00 therapy session for the same reason -- right after I finish this response. Smile

SevenMagpies wrote:

Starcade, you continue to throw out long-winded and almost abusive conjecture and present it as fact. Most of the issues you've continued to bring up have been addressed in many different threads in the AX forums. A number of staffers, both "high" and "low," have stepped forward to acknowledge and apologize for them. I didn't know you'd been banned until I came here, but I imagine the reasons why you received a 30-day ban are that you ignored the responses of the staff (and other attendees) and continued to repeat yourself, often with increasingly antagonistic language. You were effectively trolling a number of the threads on the forums.

And, bluntly, I think a lot of the people who try to speak for you guys are full of crap!

Read some of the stuff I post here -- if people are going to say the sky is green with cream cheese falling from it, I'm going to call them on their delusion.

And don't worry -- it's a lot more than a 30-day forum ban now. I'm not coming back. My divorces get ugly.

(And, for the other person, although I'd now love to see SPJA crash and burn out completely, I do openly have concern for the other attendees who have to put up with this crap next year.)

SevenMagpies wrote:

Before you ask or accuse: no. I don't "work for" AX, at least not in the sense you've implied to another person further up the thread. I do not receive money for the hours I spend staffing for and at AX. I'm not a higher-up; I don't make the decisions. I won't get a pat on the back for this post--if anything, most of the staff have decided it's best to step back and let you run out of wind.

The last time I was a "fan" of anything or anyone, I only really ran out of wind (and temporarily at that!) when I got put in the back of an NYPD squad car and put in jail for a year -- and that was a _temporary_ "out of wind".

I'll leave when banned or when I feel it and no sooner.

SevenMagpies wrote:

At this point, I think most of the people on the AX forums (and hopefully here) already know you're not exactly well-informed on the "points" you're presenting. Your complaints, and everyone else's complaints, are absolutely valid and the staff appreciate hearing them. But you continue to go beyond complaining--stating that things MUST have happened a certain way, or that they happened because of a certain person/group, or (worst of all) that things WILL happen because of etc. etc.--based on nothing but conjecture.

Based on personal experiences with the kinds of people AX and its attendees will be dealing with in or near the LACC. I don't think a lot of people have much of an idea of how to deal with homeless people who WILL NOT take no for an answer.

(which is why I posted there that, had I come, I was probably going to have to bring bottles to feel safe enough to attend)

SevenMagpies wrote:

A number of the Industry and GoH problems, from what I've heard, can't be publicly addressed in detail--i.e. why exactly their events ran late, what was going on backstage, the nature of the contracts--because AX wants to maintain their connections as best they can, for the good of future conventions. Was AX entirely free of blame? I don't think so. But there were problems out of the staff's (stress the STAFF) control. These problems were recognized, and there are already plans in motion to prevent them from happening again.

And, as I've delineated and enumerated to Hayate, I believe you are lying. If you tire of the whole thing, at least read the first response I had to Hayate's (IMHO) stupidity.

I do not believe for a moment that AX will choose to even sufficiently deal with this year's problems, much less next year's challenges which the venue change added to them.

SevenMagpies wrote:

There is a split between the SPJA Board of Directors and the AX Staff, and from what I understand this has been the source of many of the problems that have occurred in the past couple of years. Even before AX07 ended, the staff began the process of communication and action to fix this. Everyone is working towards a resolution because they WANT AX to be a better convention. They want to fix the problems we've been having, and they want to move forward.

I'll believe that when that split is healed. (and not one second before)

SevenMagpies wrote:

The LACC was contracted by the SPJA long before the end of AX07. So, no--AX was not forced out of the LBCC. LBCC was a one-year deal for 2007, and after this year I highly doubt AX will ever return again. Your comments on the acquisition and supposed loss of the LBCC and ACC are, once again, complete conjecture.

Why would they want you back anyway, in the first place?

And, had you really presented a viable structure (see previous paragraph) they never would've been in the position to damn near cancel your show.

SevenMagpies wrote:

And, again, ALL of this has been stated in the AX forums. Repeatedly. In threads that you started, even. Chase acknowledged many of the same problems in his interview here--though in much prettier and PR-appropriate language.

And, in not-so-PR language, I congratulate him for doing his job to spew the party line.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Alright, this is getting out of hand and if this continues this thread is going under lock and key. As pointed out above a lot of what is being brought out now is just conjecture, and on top of that we are now seeing flames and profanity, I shouldn't need to remind anyone that this is strictly not allowed here and will result in a ban.

If we're just going to go back and forth with "I think..." and "no it's not because I think..." kind of posts that get nowhere with no one listening to each other then we're done here. It there are problems then discuss them as adults, don't sit there pointing fingers and spewing conjecture and insults because that doesn't accomplish a thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
I don't really have anything to contribute here aside from pointing out the fact that these essays are way too long.

I'm really agreeing with you here on that one. And it's been going on for the most part between the same two people, and we're basically throwing the same type of crap back at each other except worded differently. Fact of the matter is, a lot of people didn't like how AX turned out at Long Beach. They're skeptical about how it's going to be at LA, and the way that Chase Wang gave his answers for what AX hopes to accomplish for LA wasn't all that reassuring.
SunkistGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
How funny I was searching for memories and found this.

This was my first year staffing for Anime Expo. I've heard tons of things from staffers about years before, how things were run, etc. Technically speaking-this was one of the best years.

Cancelled shows and things like that aren't AX's problem. It's not their fault if some jerk wants to commit then at the last second, decide they don't want to go do something because they're too selfish and/or lazy to go greet hundreds of people waiting for them.

And the SKIN concert? It wasn't even AX's fault for it being late. Gakt or however you spell the jerk's name wouldn't let the band come out until the arena was full. Tell me- how conceited is that? And after Transformers aired- he made a comment that he wished he would've gone after it because that's the line he wanted for his concert! I'm sorry- it was too loud, he didn't know what the heck he was saying, they played the same 3 songs over and over, tried to use american rock terms- and repeated them about 20 times, basically- they sucked. There wasn't even a sound check.

And an FYI to people- I personally know of many, MANY staffers who were up at 5am and didn't get to go to bed until midnight or later- most getting only a few hours of sleep- including me. Sure, like with any convention, there will be slackers trying to get a free ride- that is typical and cannot be controlled. There is no time to get enough interviews in or hire people- because as everyone should know- it is a non-profit organization. Every staffer I worked with worked their butt off to the limit. You should've seen staff room trashcans full of energy drink cans.

And the thing about AX not being at Anaheim- it wasn't the timing of it. Another group paid more for the spot, so we got kicked to the curb and had to schedule it at Long Beach or else there would have been NO anime expo at all. Another reason it was good to be at Long Beach is all the concerts and the Premier of Transformers that took place in the Arena. It is a bigger space than Anaheim- more people were satisfied because they got in.

For anyone who criticizes the staff and the way things were run, GET IN TO STAFFING. You have a complaint? That's fine. Do something about it. You want to talk crap? Get behind the scenes and see what's going on. Until you have your hands full with everything and you're running back and forth trying to do five things at once, answer attendees questions while going to and from places, all the while manage what other people are doing- don't say anything.

You want to change things? Want to make them better? Want to help? Think you can actually do it? Get into staffing. Oh, but just a note- it's not a paid job. Maybe that will answer even more questions about 'professionalism'.

To find out how to staff, go to the anime-expo.org website. I'm sure everyone here is smart enough to know how to follow links- and no, that is not meant as a flame.
starcade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
SunkistGirl wrote:
How funny I was searching for memories and found this.

This was my first year staffing for Anime Expo. I've heard tons of things from staffers about years before, how things were run, etc. Technically speaking-this was one of the best years.

Cancelled shows and things like that aren't AX's problem. It's not their fault if some jerk wants to commit then at the last second, decide they don't want to go do something because they're too selfish and/or lazy to go greet hundreds of people waiting for them.

That kind of stuff has a name. It's called "breach of contract". A professional outfit would have remedies for such events -- it would also serve as a deterrent to others from walking all over you and the commitments they made. (A problem that, given many comments on the subject, appeared to be rampant in this year's AX.)

SunkistGirl wrote:

And the SKIN concert? It wasn't even AX's fault for it being late. Gakt or however you spell the jerk's name wouldn't let the band come out until the arena was full. Tell me- how conceited is that? And after Transformers aired- he made a comment that he wished he would've gone after it because that's the line he wanted for his concert! I'm sorry- it was too loud, he didn't know what the heck he was saying, they played the same 3 songs over and over, tried to use american rock terms- and repeated them about 20 times, basically- they sucked. There wasn't even a sound check.

Umm, well, the problem there was the fact that they basically failed to organize the security such that the venue had to take over and basically go through an exhaustive bag search -- which should've been discussed long before (bag searches, at an anime con???) this. One begets the next.

As far as Gackt (I think that's the spelling) goes: From everything I read, including a massive ticket fiasco, he shouldn't have worried. More than a few people said they were to attend AX only because of the concert.

Basically, they sucked -- and that's their all important "debut" (a very important concept in the career of a Japanese performer or group)? Oh boy. This might end up a non-starter.

As I said for a number of the other events, though: At some point, it has to be excrete or get off the pot (there, no profanity there)... Again, if the group is in a better position to deal with an unprofessional situation like what you state Gackt did.

If they were that unprepared, then the plug should have been pulled, period -- and a better group would've been able to do so.

SunkistGirl wrote:

And an FYI to people- I personally know of many, MANY staffers who were up at 5am and didn't get to go to bed until midnight or later- most getting only a few hours of sleep- including me. Sure, like with any convention, there will be slackers trying to get a free ride- that is typical and cannot be controlled. There is no time to get enough interviews in or hire people- because as everyone should know- it is a non-profit organization. Every staffer I worked with worked their butt off to the limit. You should've seen staff room trashcans full of energy drink cans.

Another reason that there needs to be a professional convention group for these cons -- because that's not only unsafe to the convention, it's unsafe for the staff. I remember walking through Fanime and seeing cases of the stuff carried around. Trust me: That does no one any good.

SunkistGirl wrote:

And the thing about AX not being at Anaheim- it wasn't the timing of it. Another group paid more for the spot, so we got kicked to the curb and had to schedule it at Long Beach or else there would have been NO anime expo at all. Another reason it was good to be at Long Beach is all the concerts and the Premier of Transformers that took place in the Arena. It is a bigger space than Anaheim- more people were satisfied because they got in.

An idiotic business decision by the ACC if that's all it was. Chase and I have been talking and he said the decision was made 10 years ago (like the All-Star Game, etc.) -- then why aren't you going back after the one-time for the Shriners?

SunkistGirl wrote:

For anyone who criticizes the staff and the way things were run, GET IN TO STAFFING. You have a complaint? That's fine. Do something about it. You want to talk crap? Get behind the scenes and see what's going on. Until you have your hands full with everything and you're running back and forth trying to do five things at once, answer attendees questions while going to and from places, all the while manage what other people are doing- don't say anything.

You're asking for third-string middle linebackers where a new coach is needed. You're trying to be the New England Patriots when you come across (as a convention) like the Detroit Lions.

SunkistGirl wrote:

You want to change things? Want to make them better? Want to help? Think you can actually do it? Get into staffing. Oh, but just a note- it's not a paid job. Maybe that will answer even more questions about 'professionalism'.

Let's tie a couple things together from a couple of different threads -- you're RIGHT. People want to think that the LACC will be just as safe as for E3 (trade show) and the Star Wars event (GenCon). Doesn't anyone see the difference here?

And you wouldn't want me on staff. If I were to get in there, you'd probably have me fired long before the con, because I'd probably take one look at my assignment and try to pull so much rank that I'd be "quietly excused".
SunkistGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
Yes, there were many different breeches of contracts, but nothing that SPJA- who IS anime expo could've charged them on. There are a number of venues who will not be allowed to come back or will not be asked back simply due to their lack of professionalism. AX can't force people to go on stage and perform if they don't want to. With the way SKIN performed, I bet- and have heard rumors from other staffers that they were getting high before the show.

Security was organized for the entire event- it's called ConOps and Access Control. They manage crowd control, lines, and crazy people who decide to assault exhibition stations. They did their job- they were the ones in the red vests. The people in the yellow (?) shirts were LBCC security. LBCC hired them- pretty much like rent-a-cops, only for a large event, pretty much the same people who do big concerts and other events. AX had no choice in this matter although they took the bill for it.

As for the late starts and such- yes, a more 'professional group' could have dealt with this more. You must remember though, staffers are all purely volunteers. Everybody is over eighteen, a survey is given to evaluate skills, group BBQ's and events are held to determine whether or not a person will be accepted to staff, depending on how they interact with others, how they answer questions, and if/how they contribute to the experience. Again, these people are not paid. Sure, we get access (free badge for all of the days), a place to crash, and food- but with the amount of work given and things to do, there was never enough time and surely it never felt like there was enough people to do everything.

No, having to drink multiple energy drinks to stay awake and get the 'go' to go and do what needs to be done is not entirely healthy. Staffers didn't get a lot of time to themselves as we were trying our best to make sure everything went as right as possible. Our main goals were safety above all else, making sure things were where they were supposed to be at the right time, and making sure as best as we could that things started on time.

As a note- if anything started late in the convention halls, you need to know that they are their own entity renting a spot during AX and are not controlled by AX except that they conform with safety rules and the like.

About the ACC- it is very unlikely that AX will be going back there due to the size of the convention. Yes, of course, we all like it better due to the fact that it was beautifully built to satisfy conventions- with all amenities close at hand... But AX is just too large to be at ACC. It cannot accommodate everyone and many limits would have to be set on the number of people that would be allowed in the exhibit halls and such due to fire hazards, crowding, and room capacity laws.

No, LACC will not be as 'safe' as ACC or even as LBCC. If anyone had a problem with LBCC they're frankly paranoid. I was up late nights and early mornings and all throughout the day going about business and never once encountered anything unsafe or frightening. If you did, that sucks for you. AX can't control homeless people or crooks, we can't come into the area and say, "OK guys, please leave for about a week because we're having a convention with a bunch of (another name for 'kitties') and they don't like homeless people and crooks around. So, you can come back after we're done." Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Even at ACC, people complained about things like that. No matter where the convention is held, there will be scary encounters. The only thing you can do if you are afraid of this is travel in groups, go in the daytime when there is still light, or just don't go at all. Pretty much every event can be found online in full-length after the convention anyways and you can find things cheaper on e-bay than the booths, the only thing you'll miss is the live interaction.

"A new coach is needed". Yes, indeed, new coaches are needed. The Division Heads have officially asked the Board of Directors to step down and resign their titles. A new system will be inputed. No other details can be released other than that. There is no word as to who the new directors or even who the new CEO will be. AX will be revamped and Division Heads as well as staffers will make sure that the new board and CEO will believe in and enforce the traditions as well as the ideals, goals, and spirit of why AX was originally created.

To address the last comment: Thank you for recognizing that I am right. I appreciate your honesty and level-headedness on that matter. Many people wish to complain, spew off insults and such without having the background story. Yes, a lot of things went wrong. We apologize. There is nothing else beyond apologizing that we are able to do at this time. We're working on new systems, leaders, and many other things to get everything back in order and (hopefully) make next year's AX a hell of a lot better than this year.

Another suggestion: If you want professionalism, give it. If you are unable to staff due to age (must be 18 or older due to liability issues) , disability (which is not judged against- I mean this due to the hopeful-staffer-to-be's personal choice), location, time, or whatever, the SPJA will read letters sent to them. Look them up, write out a professional letter addressing the issues that took place and a probable solution as to what could have been done in order to make it better or solve it. If you are unable to staff or address concerns in a professional manner with accurate portrayal of what happened with a solution to the problem, either set your words, harsh posts, complaints, whatevers aside and let it be or simply do not attend. If you want to see change, do something constructive with your energy.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13