• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Anime Expo Location vs Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Don't blame the Shriners. They're just playing the game.

The way the game should be played.

Well, they're certainly able to afford it. To take it back to Anaheim they only have to schedule it for a time other than the 4th of July. Plain and simple, like they did for Long Beach this year. That I didn't mind.
ShrapnelCruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This is what happened and I wrote this in my blog -

You can be inside the exhibition hall and there would be exits all over the place, but the LBCC staff restricted access out those exits even though you can see a bunch of attendees walking by from the inside of the hall, outside of the exits. I know exactly why they did it this way as well. Gameworks, the restaurants and everything else is just across the street. They want to sucker the attendees to buy $6 cookies.

That's the reason for all the disorganized crap
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
DJ Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd be all for having AX back in Anaheim again because my issue with LBCC and the location in general was actually the walking. By the end of each day I could barely feel my feet and was extremely exhausted from walking everywhere. LACC is a pretty questionable spot and yeah I also agree that traffic would be pure hell just getting into there as well as getting around. Plus I loved the vibe of the ACC and it is a lot safer.
Bivinz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
DJ Sandman wrote:
I could barely feel my feet and was extremely exhausted from walking everywhere.

I know your pain. I actually walked so much that my feet went numb. From callouses prolly, and I got to keep on walking without pain, but still.

I still can't feel my right big toe completely.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
malikchan17 wrote:

Who are the Shriners?

Here, this should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriners
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
Bivinz wrote:
DJ Sandman wrote:
I could barely feel my feet and was extremely exhausted from walking everywhere.

I know your pain. I actually walked so much that my feet went numb. From callouses prolly, and I got to keep on walking without pain, but still.

I still can't feel my right big toe completely.

And it was hot. I don't think I would have minded some cloudy weather at AX this year.
ShrapnelCruz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
I still can't feel my left toe -_-
And I still missed 99% of the panels, all the concerts, and the AMV contest. Weak sauce.

By the time I finally reached the Hotel to watch Witchblade I thought my head was going to explode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Sticks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a retraction from what I wrote before, cause I still don't really want AX08 to be in LA, but I recently learned about some new sports and entertainment complex that's supposed to open just across the street from the LACC and the Staples Center.

It's called "L.A Live", (http://www.nokiatheatrela.com/lalive.php) it's been under construction for almost 2 years and the first phase should be done in October of this year. According to the website, it's supposed to be a massive entertainment area for everyone, not just sports but everything from restaurants, movie theaters, a club, live and televised productions, plus a whole lot more. There are hotels being built on the location, but they won't be completed till the following year.

If this place is as cool as they make it sound, then maybe, just maybe, it might not be a bad place to hang out at after all. I'll have to go out there later this year to see for myself and judge as to weather it's worth my time to go next year. Go check out the website and judge for yourself.

I'm sure there are others who already know more about the place and can give a better insite as to what they think about it, so i'd like to hear from you. Let us know what you think, k??
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand, it's just the theatre and the plaza that will be in place for AX08, which is great for concerts and whatnot. However, the restaurants and hotels, which I think is the main concern for most people, won't be ready until fall 08 or 09.
starcade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Easy: Change the weekend and reg-cap it at 40K at most.
gary leeman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
My experience with AX at LBCC was ok. I thought the surrounding area was great for food and drinks (especially the drinks), and although I didn't book soon enough to get one of the nearby hotels, the commute in was quick, and we found $12/day parking at the nearby AQUA building.

It doesn't sound like LACC is promising, but people weren't too keen on LBCC either, and other than some organization issues, I thought that the locale was fine. So it just may be a slew of Disney-dwellers wanting the con back in their hood so they don't have to leave Anaheim... Razz

As for the weekend it is on; it's nice to have it on the long weekend, but if it going to deter people from attending because it was moved to less desirable location just to get in the same time slot, I would say just move the date and get it in a place where everyone will be happy with it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:
This isn't a retraction from what I wrote before, cause I still don't really want AX08 to be in LA, but I recently learned about some new sports and entertainment complex that's supposed to open just across the street from the LACC and the Staples Center.

LACC and it's surrounding area are undergoing a massive set of "upgrades" that include the above entertainment complex, and a number of hotels.

The project will, over the coming years, add all the necessary services to the area, and probably drive the bums elsewhere. If AX continues to grow, then by 2009 or 2010, the LACC will be the only feasible place for AX to go, and by then the LACC should have everything that AX would want in the immediate vicinity.

But for 2007 and 2008, AX really should have bit the bullet, accepted a non-holiday weekend and stayed at Anaheim.

-t
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
But for 2007 and 2008, AX really should have bit the bullet, accepted a non-holiday weekend and stayed at Anaheim.

-t

Yeah, but Long Beach WAS a non-holiday weekend, wasn't it?
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
The Los Angeles Convention Center is a bad idea. I know that some people are saying that, "we who aggree that it's a bad idea, are overreacting" but take this in mind. Most of the attendees are kids. After observing the convention, I noticed that some kids get dropped off at the show. These kids will not listen when you tell them to walk in groups, they'll wander off by themselves and who knows? People are talking about going to Little Tokyo during the convention, that's something I'd do too, and I'm sure some of those kids would like to go as well. Doesn't that concern you that a) They're will be little supervision to and from the convention and b) Instead of money going to your convention, the money goes to the businesses there? I think Anime Expo needs to think these things through rather than have dillusions of grandure thinking that everything will be fine and dandy at Los Angeles Convention Center for them. Also, some of the older kids drive to the convention and would like to park near the convention center. Now you're looking at a $60 a day price tag. Judging the price of Long Beach parking price of $11, now the attendee has $49 less to spend in the dealer hall. Most of your attendees do not make a lot of money to spend at your show. Some of them have to beg their parents for the money and even then, the prices are bumped up when compared to Comic Con and Frank and Sons Toy Show.
My suggestion is to move the location to a safer area, Long Beach was fine and Anaheim is better. But if you are looking for more space, maybe it's time for you to move up to the big boy's area, San Diego Convention Center. 40k people is about how many attending the Comic Con back in 1992 and they only used 2/3's of the convention before they remodeled it (that's like 1/4 now). I think this would be a wise move as it is safe for the children and safe on your wallets and reputation.
Also, I will NOT be attending 2008 Anime Expo if it is at the Los Angeles Convention Center. It is too close to ComicCon to throw away my money at the rediculous parking.
aya_arisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
well in my opinion it would be so much better if we could go back to Anaheim Convention Center... because LACC is you know... anyway truth be told, that it would be the best if we could have AX's tradition back.... anyway i'll be supporting AX no matter what choices SPJA will make!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3